• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the way we play, they'll be looking for a sweeper keeper. Someone who is good with the ball at his feet and has the ability and confidence to float around our defensive third offering good passing angles for our centre backs, to help recycle possession and build out from the back and then through the lines.

Collin does the sweeping aspect well when he's not being high pressed, but distribution and other aspects need work (quelle surprise, he's young and still developing). Arnold's distribution out of hand is good but he's not a sweeper keeper.

Justham plays the sweeper keeper role well which is why he's on their list.

Last edited:
With the way we play, they'll be looking for a sweeper keeper. Someone who is good with the ball at his feet and has the ability and confidence to float around our defensive third offering good passing angles for our centre backs, to help recycle possession and build out from the back and then through the lines.

Collin does the sweeping aspect well when he's not being high pressed, but distribution and other aspects need work (quelle surprise, he's young and still developing). Arnold's distribution out of hand is good but he's not a sweeper keeper.

Justham plays the sweeper keeper role well which is why he's on their list.
spot on, as good as Colin and Steve are with their hands, Justham with his feet is a different animal, added to that he is a very good keeper then he would be my number 1 if we can get him

Arnold played 42 games in the 21/22 season and was our Player of the season. He had one injury which was misdiagnose which kept him out longer. I think we need to keep him or get someone else in with a similar experience level. Colin is a good shot stopper but the Oldham game showed we needed a more experienced head to control things.

Players can start talking from June though I believr
Which will be why The Athletic were given the nod IMO - to either try to push through a deal by June (possible, but looking unlikely) or at least give some credence to what our players and targets have been told about a possible takeover.

Any out of contract player for us currently would be mad to look elsewhere with the possibility of us being taken over very shortly. Lets be honest most of them couldnt go up a level and get straight in to a team and next season will be so exciting here. Look at the support we already have at this level it is unrivalled.

Any out of contract player for us currently would be mad to look elsewhere with the possibility of us being taken over very shortly. Lets be honest most of them couldnt go up a level and get straight in to a team and next season will be so exciting here. Look at the support we already have at this level it is unrivalled.
That's the exact reason why I'd expect players to be looking elsewhere, if the takeover goes through they may not get game time.

Which will be why The Athletic were given the nod IMO - to either try to push through a deal by June (possible, but looking unlikely) or at least give some credence to what our players and targets have been told about a possible takeover.
The academy players are not able to leave at the moment with a fee due until end June. It may be a nod to some of them who may well be training elsewhere even if they can’t actually leave whilst we have an academy.

Arnold played 42 games in the 21/22 season and was our Player of the season. He had one injury which was misdiagnose which kept him out longer. I think we need to keep him or get someone else in with a similar experience level. Colin is a good shot stopper but the Oldham game showed we needed a more experienced head to control things.

apart from the Oldham howler (is the CB blamelss???) Collin has not made a really bad error that I can think of

he does make me nervous but i think thats cos I know hes a youngster

apart from the Oldham howler (is the CB blamelss???) Collin has not made a really bad error that I can think of

he does make me nervous but i think thats cos I know hes a youngster
I like Collin, very mature and will continue to improve.

Eastleigh away? Wasn't one, or both their late goals partly gk error?
But this was one of his early early games.

It wasn't just Colin he is a very good keeper, but to me an experienced keeper would of cleared everything out and asked questions later. The same thing happened when Blondy was in goal on a number of occasions but we didn't concede (Lapota clearing of the line and getting injured in one of his last games by hitting the post) With our potential back three being in their early to mid 20s you need an experienced head to calm everything down and guide them imo.

I really don't see the keeper situation as a desperate need to upgrade. If we keep Arnold he and Colin can interchange, both are brilliant keepers at this level and I suspect Colin will move up the leagues in due course - excellent find

If we can get new owners in place in time, then I think the priority beyond keeping our best players (Bridge in particular), would be the spine of the team, so a new LCB, a new creative midfielder to compete with Noor, and a new striker up top to partner Harry.

Obviously the more players leave the more replacements required, but I don't think the squad needs major work to compete towards the top end if we can keep it mostly together.

If we can get new owners in place in time, then I think the priority beyond keeping our best players (Bridge in particular), would be the spine of the team, so a new LCB, a new creative midfielder to compete with Noor, and a new striker up top to partner Harry.

Obviously the more players leave the more replacements required, but I don't think the squad needs major work to compete towards the top end if we can keep it mostly together.

I agree with most of this actually, though i'd add a GK also.

I would say our shopping list should consist of the below if our main players stay on.

2 x CB (one LCB and 3 if hobson leaves)
1 x RWB (cover)
1 x CAM/CM (creative)
2 x ST (who know where the goal is)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back