• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Barnet 1-0 Southend United

It was a joke, sarcasm didn’t travel well on that post. Not sure what other post you refer you talking about tho
The other post is in the Collection for Kev and the staff, thread. It comes across as you're suggesting something. Maybe you're just one of those posters that words you type in print don't necessarily mean what you meant to say.

I've been doing my bollocks on Sandat goalscorer last few games on bet365 - 14/1 1st and 5/1 anytime is great value given he's playing as a striker. I think I'm gonna give up now though and he'll prob score next weekend!

Nailed on 😂

Don’t tell the bookies, but last two games Brooklyn has been incredible odds for first scorer & anytime scorer. 33/1 for first scorer today. Well worth a look if he’s starting.

The point is you say wrong starting 11 - what is the alternative? Swap Wood for Sandat? 18 year old Ismithian league Centre Half up front! Sorry not having a go but if you have Strikers you play them. It may have worked but on this site if he picked Brook up front and lost 1-0 he would have got slaughtered again!
Kevin now has no excuses once the transfer window is finished and on this site we need to just respect and support his decisions.
We are in this position through the actions of one man only and if had done the right thing and paid the bills we would be sitting in 8th Position looking at pushing for the play offs at least
I think where we are right now your 18 year old Ismithian league Centre Half is arguably worth a start up top on merit- alongside Sandat.

Of course when we bring a couple in that will change. But tbh as playoffs slip away (we needed embargo gone a week or two earlier to effect sufficient change ideally) I would rather we took a bit of time to get the right ones- sloppy seconds on 2 year contracts won’t help next year.

Naturally gutted to come away with nothing after being on top and deserved a least a point. It's clear that we are struggling without Cards and probably with him we would have got better results against Bromley and Barnet but we haven't so until a replacement is found very soon we will continue to struggle.The club have a good week to sort this out hopefully a new striker is with us by next Saturday

What a frustrating afternoon. Barnet are so undeserving of 6 points to our 0 over the two games. However, we really need to start scoring goals like their winner, a long throw into the danger area and someone getting on the end of it. Every game we have endless corners, free kicks and long throws into the penalty but have a conversation rate of about 1 per cent. Most promoted teams from this division score many goals from re starts. Something we need to address ASAP. Despite all that we didn't deserve to lose either of these games over the Christmas period.

I wasn't there today, driving up to the Midlands for New Year with friends, but I listened to the commentary all the way up. I also listened to Kev's post match interview and it makes the comments of some of the so called fans on here even more galling!

Kev sounded so, I mean ssoooooo disappointed that we couldn't get more reinforcements in and when asked why he applauded and left the pitch earlier than usual, he was beside himself that the team couldn't provide something and get the breakthrough for the fans who had turned up and once again had given "...unbelievable support..."

His heart and soul is embedded in this club, you can tell and can tell that he cares not only about the team, performances, results but us fans and there aren't many managers that show it in quite that way.

I have to say, as others have, I was surprised we didn't start with Kabongolo up front to give us a more physical presence, but that's what he is in the job for, but please all, don't think for one minute he didn't give two hoots and that's why he went early, it's because he cares so much and I'd have given my back teeth to have him back at the club with Benno and Daz about 5 years ago. It's all about timing though and this is his time.

What was on the notice board during the ground cleaning, something like "don't forget us and we won't for get you" ?

Well there is no way Kev would turn his back on the fans, so don't turn your backs on him, especially after all he has done to get us in a position where we are so disappointed to lose to 3rd in the table with no established strikers in the line up. Give him time, he deserves that as a minimum!

UTB with KM!

Last edited:
I can't believe we have lost twice to a very average Barnet team in 5 days.

I am not going to join the slaters on here because it's clear the players are exhausted but that's 6 points we should have picked up over Xmas and instead we have 0, unfair? Unlucky? Blame the very poor officials? No decent striker in the side?

In both games we didn't start playing until the 60th minute and if I was Kev I would be furious.

The quicker 2023 over and Kev and Co can build a squad they want the better. The future is bright but it's clear it's not going to be a 5 minute fix.

UTB 💙

Some terrible takes on here all of a sudden. Maher is an incredible manager, with a limited squad and no backing until just this week.

Talking of picking the players like Kabongolo in their wrong position is just a step away from crazy! Sure he does ok there but he missed a 1v1 which a proper striker is putting away.

We need to stay calm, this squad has been absolutely superb this season but have played A LOT of games without backup and are shattered but still going somehow. Reinforcements are incoming and we can hopefully kick on again in the new year.

It’s a great time to be a Shrimper!

Some terrible takes on here all of a sudden. Maher is an incredible manager, with a limited squad and no backing until just this week.

Talking of picking the players like Kabongolo in their wrong position is just a step away from crazy! Sure he does ok there but he missed a 1v1 which a proper striker is putting away.

We need to stay calm, this squad has been absolutely superb this season but have played A LOT of games without backup and are shattered but still going somehow. Reinforcements are incoming and we can hopefully kick on again in the new year.

Nunez missed 1vs1few days ago and he’s a proper elite player or striker..… it was great save from Barnet keeper

But we're not talking about picking Brook instead of a proper striker - it's picking Brook because imho it's the best (or least worst) option - I don't see that as crazy!

Also remember it's Kev's first management job - he has and will continue to make mistakes and learn. He's not above criticism. And just because he gets some criticism doesn't mean we don't think he's the man for the job or want Maher out - absolutely not.

Keeper made a very good save imo and thinking back, our real strikers Murphy and Dalby both blasted a few of those chances at the keeper or over the bar! Sometimes the keeper stands up and gets their reward .
Our other chances are more concern in my book snatched at shots way of target especially when they have time and space to close in and hit the target or get brought down.

F*ck me. How quickly have we turned on each other. The takeover isn’t even complete yet, the embargo has been lifted for 48 hours, people criticising our players and disrespecting some of them, others criticising our own fans who turned out in huge numbers today. Pull yourself together chaps. Things are going to take time.

Let’s sign the right players and take the time that’s needed to do that properly. Let’s continue to beleive in Kev and co and his decisions about who played where and when. Let’s not moan and groan about who stood, who sat and who shouted loudest…. It’s not that long ago we marched together through the high street as one or since we echoed ‘Martin Out’ for miles around on the ‘tennis ball’ day when we were together against the world.

FWIW - I think we’ve had a super tough run of fixtures just as the injury crises and lack of bodies has deepened. We deserved something against Bromley, beat the Harriers and probably deserved a point in each of the Barnet games. I don’t think we deserved the win today but still the effort was there from our lads. There are easier games to come and we’ll start to pick up points to move us away from relegation worries.

We need to build towards hitting the ground running next season and having the right players in (not just any players). We’ll get there, but we need to try and keep a positive vibe around the place.

<puts tin hat on>

But we're not talking about picking Brook instead of a proper striker - it's picking Brook because it's the best (or least worst) option - I don't see that as crazy!

Also remember it's Kev's first management job - he has and will continue to make mistakes and learn. He's not above criticism. And just because he gets some criticism doesn't mean we don't think he's the man for the job or want Maher out - absolutely not.
Agreed. We have no strikers other than Sandat, and Brooklyn has looked more of a threat than Vilhete. Mauro looked completely lost on Boxing Day and I admit to groaning when I saw we were playing him there again today.

Having said that, let’s hope we have a new striker signed before next Saturday. Then having to play the best alternative out of position shouldn’t be an issue.

But we're not talking about picking Brook instead of a proper striker - it's picking Brook because imho it's the best (or least worst) option - I don't see that as crazy!

Actually I think Maher is currently above criticism. A very limited squad in terms of personnel that he has squeezed every last drop out of.

Judge him when he has been able to build a deeper squad in a years time. Not 1 game into the new regime with a single addition making his debut off the bench.

Poor going forward first half, but defended well. Second half, got on top and conceded.

Collin 7
Gus 6
Bridge 7
Kens 7
Taylor 7
Ralph 6
Husin 7
Coker 7
Fonguck 6
Vilhete 5
Sandat 5

Subs
Morton 7
Brooklyn 7
Wood 6

Ref - what’s the point? End up in a poor league what can you expect from the refs.

Some 'interesting' comments on the make-up of the Southend support. People go to away games because they have paid their money and want to watch Southend on the road, it's that simple. Some can stand for 90 minutes, others aren't so lucky, or just don't want to stand. To say that those that don't meet the blueprint of a perfect away supporter, standing only, screaming abuse and 'singing' shouldn't be there is pure and simply drivel. Never mind, we're all in it together aren't we, only some are more entitled that others it seems. Pathetic.

I was at the back of block c almost everyone standing and about 20 young uns in the pigeon lift at the back - it was bouncing up there. I’m guessing the seating plan was shot as the lads and 1 lass in the loft clearly had left vacant seats.
The aisles appeared congested as well.
Onto the match,
Bit of a game of chess in the 1st half with both sides playing the ball around and not getting anywhere
2nd half substitutes made a big difference and we could’ve won
Morton played well, filling Miley’s role ?? Allowing Husin to move up
Brook , how close

It becomes clearer every week that to get out of the NL we need not just more players but some better players for some areas. The front line fiasco has taken a 450 day embargo to create and isn’t going to be fixed in a day or two. I felt the atmosphere, or lack of it, in the away end reflected what went on on the pitch rather than who was sitting or who wasn’t a real supporter. We manage to look unlucky too regularly for it to be all about luck. The management team will know what needs doing though some of todays selections looked like a sentimental reward for loyalty.

Back