• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Barnet 1-0 Southend United

It’s just embarrassing having most of an away end sat down, I appreciate genuine medical reasons and the front few rows sat down but it was most of the stand and the atmosphere was s**te no one clapping or singing and it didn’t help us today

I’m surprised to read this as where I was standing there was almost constant singing.

I suppose the strong wind we were singing into didn’t allow it to carry to the front of the stand.

The wind was a definite factor in the game. Every time we kicked the ball long first half it got caught up in the wind.

The biggest factor was the lack of forwards. I was surprised Maher opted for the same duo who had been so unsuccessful the previous game against the same opposition. I don’t understand what he sees in Vilhete and picking him over Wood must be destroying what’s left of Wood’s confidence.

Sandat looked 100% better when paired with someone leading the line.

I’d have started with Kabongolo but to be fair he’s looked much better when going up front late in the game than when starting up front.

Morton looked good and has probably done enough to start v Halifax but we really needed a forward. I suppose it’s a good sign we are prioritising long term signings over short term signings we need for a month(?) whilst Cardwell is out.

Geez! I hate Sunday's after we've lost on Saturday!
I guess everyone expects us to be manchester city every game. Unfortunately for us we support team who isn't constantly winning football games and hasn't been for years. Our squad needs rebuilding which will take time.... personally I can't wait for this season to be ended and we push for promotion next season. Fans need to manage there expectations little bit this season.

I guess everyone expects us to be manchester city every game. Unfortunately for us we support team who isn't constantly winning football games and hasn't been for years. Our squad needs rebuilding which will take time.... personally I can't wait for this season to be ended and we push for promotion next season. Fans need to manage there expectations little bit this season.

Absolutely, but even if I was a City fan, I'd hate Sunday's after a rare defeat, it has nothing to do with expectations.

Truth be told, once we didn't manage to bring in more firepower up front, I was expecting the worst.

Wow well having read all these posts I’m stunned. We’ve lost twice to one of the top teams in the league and run them close, they’ve had 2 tough games. Arguably we could’ve got points from either game. It’s not like we’ve rolled over and been beat 6-0.

Justin comes along, the embargo gets lifted and suddenly, we go from praise of Kev and our small squad to criticism and entitlement (how dare we only announce one signing?!).

Vilhete isn’t a striker. Neither is Brooklyn hence why he didn’t put that chance away. It’s a big ask for Sandat to come in and lead the line (it helps if he gets the ball). We were pretty ineffective first half but better second. Morton looked good, he’s got a pass on him. Hopefully the debate over which non striker starts up top ends when we get a proper striker in. Then let’s judge Kev. We had a 10 pt deduction and a transfer embargo, we’ve been without Miley and most recently Cards, who’s been a huge loss. Yet nobody’s given up.

We will get more players in. Things will improve. I’m gutted we didn’t score second half as could you imagine the roar and the celebrations.. I think the players were too judging by their faces at the end when they were applauding the fans.
Top strikers also squandered opportunities. Nunez, Jesus... I'm sure you passed up opportunities yesterday in life.

Absolutely, but even if I was a City fan, I'd hate Sunday's after a rare defeat, it has nothing to do with expectations.

Truth be told, once we didn't manage to bring in more firepower up front, I was expecting the worst.
I'm sure will bring players in to bolster the squad unless something goes wrong off the pitch. This season just feels like nothing season tbh..... we won't go up but we won't go down. Next season we all will be expecting atleast a promotion push which is fair given the amount of fans who continue to turn up week in week out. Good Times will come.

Wow well having read all these posts I’m stunned. We’ve lost twice to one of the top teams in the league and run them close, they’ve had 2 tough games. Arguably we could’ve got points from either game. It’s not like we’ve rolled over and been beat 6-0.

Justin comes along, the embargo gets lifted and suddenly, we go from praise of Kev and our small squad to criticism and entitlement (how dare we only announce one signing?!).

Vilhete isn’t a striker. Neither is Brooklyn hence why he didn’t put that chance away. It’s a big ask for Sandat to come in and lead the line (it helps if he gets the ball). We were pretty ineffective first half but better second. Morton looked good, he’s got a pass on him. Hopefully the debate over which non striker starts up top ends when we get a proper striker in. Then let’s judge Kev. We had a 10 pt deduction and a transfer embargo, we’ve been without Miley and most recently Cards, who’s been a huge loss. Yet nobody’s given up.

We will get more players in. Things will improve. I’m gutted we didn’t score second half as could you imagine the roar and the celebrations.. I think the players were too judging by their faces at the end when they were applauding the fans.

The chance Brooklyn had was good goal keeping rather than the miss some have hinted… As was the double save later on.

You’re right about Morton I was impressed from what I see…. Someone who will fire a ball into a forwards feet will be a great asset…. Harry C often shows and has good back to goal control but is starved by our overcautious midfield. Lets Hope Morton is the man.

The chance Brooklyn had was good goal keeping rather than the miss some have hinted… As was the double save later on.

You’re right about Morton I was impressed from what I see…. Someone who will fire a ball into a forwards feet will be a great asset…. Harry C often shows and has good back to goal control but is starved by our overcautious midfield. Lets Hope Morton is the man.
Yeah, wasn’t blaming Brooklyn and the keeper did well. He got in the position to score at least, not being a striker he did well and did what was asked of him when he came on.

I see what you mean about Bridge and not taking the man on outside and whipping it in enough. He did a few times later on and put across a couple of useful corners, straight into the danger area rather than short, or cut out by the 1st man.

Yeah, wasn’t blaming Brooklyn and the keeper did well. He got in the position to score at least, not being a striker he did well and did what was asked of him when he came on.

I see what you mean about Bridge and not taking the man on outside and whipping it in enough. He did a few times later on and put across a couple of useful corners, straight into the danger area rather than short, or cut out by the 1st man.
Agree regarding Bridge -no criticism as he is one of the standout players however perhaps he should watch Luton’s Doughty in yesterdays match against Man City - get the ball , run and give a wicked cross - simple but effective …

My thoughts. Great away support but a bit fractured. Probably not helped by not looking like we could or would score a goal for the first 50 or 60 minutes.

It's frustrating to see Barnet players and their fans celebrating like they have won the world cup but have beaten a tired and strikerless side rather fortuitously twice in a fee days.

As for the away end and facilities.

The stadium is near quite literally nothing. Just a very soulless place.

The bar had like 3 staff serving beer for about 500+ and was embarrassingly poor.

The food queue was horrible. No burgers or pies etc. Just sausages in buns that ran out just as I'd got to the front after queuing for 30 mins. This was just on the stroke of halftime and again just 2 staff.

When you have a large away support it would be wise to stock up and get extra staff. It really was a complete shambles, so much so, that it almost made the west stand bar seem well run.

The day finished off around Whitechapel and a curry down brick lane.

Good away day where the football wasnt ideal.

Please sign two strikers and a decent right winger.

Unfortunately, sandat and Vilhette are not the answer.

Agree regarding Bridge -no criticism as he is one of the standout players however perhaps he should watch Luton’s Doughty in yesterdays match against Man City - get the ball , run and give a wicked cross - simple but effective …
I do think we miss a left footer. Unless Ralph overlaps both Bridge and Wes want to cut back on their stronger right. does slow us down sometimes. but what targets did we have in the middle? it could be part of Maher's decided pattern of play not to just sling it in and risk losing it

What a frustrating day was yesterday. Pre-match we were hoping for confirmation that Danny Waldron had signed. It didn't happen (Rushall O wanted to keep him for a little longer). Then the match itself where the chances came and went and we lost to a long throw, the back header from which looped over Collin in a fashion not unlike the first Barnet goal at the Hall.
Bad luck to be playing these games without Harry C. We really did look pretty toothless until Kev made the changes. But as has been pointed out endlessly, playing without a true leader of the attack is not going to cut the mustard.
For me the one bright spot was the assured debut of James Morton. Looked at home immediately, passed well, made himself available constantly and hared back to atone for his one error. Can see what Kev and Co liked, apart from the cultured left foot of course.
And as if to underline what a fantastic job Kev and the players have done to get the points they have, I read with special interest the excellent piece by David Hytner in yesterday's Guardian about the Spurs squad being short on numbers because of injuries and feeling the burn from the high tempo game they play. "With squad numbers stretched Ange has had less scope to rotate from game to game and to make changes within them. The demands, though, remain the same, the pressure on the players increasing exponentially and, at some point, things will go bang". Sound familiar?
So let's remember that when we dwell on these frustrating defeats. Things will get better. We are in good hands.

He's been mentioned much, but my worry for Sandat is he's not fast.
Forwards need speed for reasons known.
Now, you can argue experience and physical development, even technique can be worked on, but raw speed? No.
Yeah, the likes of Dina Asher-Smith has improved what she's got, but she had it to start with.
Even at 18, you would want Sandat to be faster than he is. Remember, he's been training and playing U23. Yeah, not the same as NL, but what does that have to do with being fast? Saka and others were fast at 18.
His better position has to be midfield in the future, and playing up top now is needs must.
Is it a worry he could be another Hutchinson who starts off more than promising but is currently in League Two?

Absolutely right. Plus, new supporters might need a while to get in the swing of things. We want and need new supporters and they are not all going to fit the 'perfect fan' blueprint from day one.

It would be great though if we could get the singers grouped together - perhaps if someone volunteered to block buy some tickets through (or working with) The Blue Voice? Then there would be a decent group located together to help lead the way with the singing. Others will join in, but are maybe less likely to brave starting singing themselves.
It’s a good idea. I thought the atmosphere could have been better. I was behind the goal (well, just to the right) and wanted to stand but 3 rows behind were adament on sitting so I stayed seating for most part of the match. I hate sitting when there’s a choice of standing.
Also, is it just me or is Sandat a bit like Michael Kightly when he was light weight? He certainly could do with strengthening up a bit.

Back