• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Costs of Relegation to National South?

BigCol

Winger
In terms of revenue how much we lose? I doubt home crowds would change to much. Away fans are pretty much non existent in this division bar the few ex league teams.

TV money will be cut but by how much?

Would most of the players leave?

Would be a chance to get to a few new places and stadiums…

In terms of revenue how much we lose? I doubt home crowds would change to much. Away fans are pretty much non existent in this division bar the few ex league teams.

Not a lot. TV money is naff all, players are all on contracts so we'd at least get a fee.

Undoubtedly revenue would be lost.

We are averaging 6500 this season. We aren't getting that in the national League south.

Maybe 4500-5000 and ticket prices would definitely drop. Nobody is paying £22 on a matchday for that level. Maybe £15

Undoubtedly revenue would be lost.

We are averaging 6500 this season. We aren't getting that in the national League south.

Maybe 4500-5000 and ticket prices would definitely drop. Nobody is paying £22 on a matchday for that level. Maybe £15
That is a big reduction in income. We would need to get promotion in the first season if we go down

This hit home on Saturday, before the game, when a Southend stalwart told me, 'if we end up in the National League South that's me done'.

This hit home on Saturday, before the game, when a Southend stalwart told me, 'if we end up in the National League South that's me done'.
I really don’t understand this line of thinking from some people.

Does it matter which division we play as long as there is a team to support?

Would it be just a hiatus until we return to the NL or done for good?

By the same logic in recent memory, Stockport fans with that attitude would have missed out on a NL league win, and currently sitting top of FL2…

I really don’t understand this line of thinking from some people.

Does it matter which division we play as long as there is a team to support?

Would it be just a hiatus until we return to the NL or done for good?

By the same logic in recent memory, Stockport fans with that attitude would have missed out on a NL league win, and currently sitting top of FL2…
It's interesting 1, I see both points of view...... the worry I have is if we drop even lower the next generation fans won't be that interested in supporting Southend. Let's face it Southend have been disaster over the last 5/6 years so you can't really blame kids for supporting prem clubs.

To be fair I've said that I'm done with watching southend, then a minute later piggott slotted a goal to equalise at Wembley. Who am I kidding of course I'll still go, at least we will still have a club.

If we went down which ain’t happening. I would fully expect us to absolutely **** the league and attendances would probably stay where they are or even go up

would we become a part time club? Although a reduction in income, if training was 2 or 3 times a week plus a match day, the expenditure and associated 'on costs' (travel, food, use of facilities, requirement for coaches time), would reduce a fair bit too.
I don't know how many, if any, in the NLS are full time. Certainly only a few would have as big a ground.
I think the team would be unrecognizable to who we have now if we went down.
I've found the standard of the football surprisingly good in this league. Arguably more enjoyable to watch than league 2 which seemed more like head tennis. If still prefer to be in the EFL though.

I've found the standard of the football surprisingly good in this league. Arguably more enjoyable to watch than league 2 which seemed more like head tennis. If still prefer to be in the EFL though.
Agreed.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by a lot of the football the teams who have come up from NLN/S try and play as well.

The football in L2 was grim.

would we become a part time club? Although a reduction in income, if training was 2 or 3 times a week plus a match day, the expenditure and associated 'on costs' (travel, food, use of facilities, requirement for coaches time), would reduce a fair bit too.
I don't know how many, if any, in the NLS are full time. Certainly only a few would have as big a ground.
Yeovil, Torquay, Maidstone & Scunthorpe all stayed full time after getting relegated last year. Presumably there’s a reason they haven’t gone part time?

All I can see going part time achieving is delaying our return to the National League.

There are some full time clubs in the NL South - just not many and mostly the ones you'd expect. Torquay and Yeovil are, and also surprisingly Eastbourne Borough. Maidstone and Dartford were hybrid full time at one point, not sure if they still are.

In the North, South Shields, Scunthorpe, Kings Lynn and Darlington are full time as well.

Back