• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
If budgets play out as suggested, it will likely mean removing a few players to get first team ready players

Who would you leave out of the retain list?

Wes seems likely. Wood? Powell?

Sandat and dackers to return to their clubs

Martin and demi to retire to be coaches ?

That's potentially 7 players off the player budget.

Attack mid, left and right wing winger / wing backs, goalie, a couple of forwards, perhaps one more defender. That's a direct 7 for 7 replacement

Thoughts ?

I always look at our opposition and often think...ooh I'd sign him. Today it was their no.18 just the kind of tricky, pacy attack minded player we need.
Also the guy who scored their 2nd....just the sort of striker I'd be looking to get in.
Devante Rodney's two-year contract at Rochdale is up for renewal in June 2024.

I always look at our opposition and often think...ooh I'd sign him. Today it was their no.18 just the kind of tricky, pacy attack minded player we need.
Also the guy who scored their 2nd....just the sort of striker I'd be looking to get in.
Yeah Hayes was everywhere, very busy little player. On loan from Fleetwood and they’ve been relegated so may be in their plans, maybe not.

Don’t think we need wholesale changes, we know Kev prefers a smaller squad, quality over quantity with our budget.

Think we’ll unfortunately lose GSM and possibly Cardwell.

Demi will surely call it time on playing days and perhaps take up a coaching role, same with David Martin in goal.

Sandat, Woodman and Dackers return to parent clubs and I don’t anticipate we’ll try to sign permanently for different reasons.

Would like to bring in 2 high quality young prospects for squad depth, one being a Daniel Kanu type to keep Waldron and Cardwell (if here) / another on toes

With thanks for their efforts I’d only let Wes and Powell go. Think we’ll give Jack Wood and Oli Coker another season to develop given their ages.

Unfair to rely on them for a title push and don’t expect us to but anticipate a few youth players to push on and make our bench and appear for 1st team should we ever be short too. Beau MacDonald, George Pulham and Ronnie Blake may be the most likely to step up more regularly

Rumours yesterday

Cardwell and Colin lightly to go if we get right offers
Wood, Wes and Powell to leave
Gus hasn’t signed new contract as agent is pushing for more money
We are keen to sign Dackers. Bloody hope not as he is not the type of player we need and not the type of player to lead a charge to go up next season

But as I say just rumours that were mentioned by a few yesterday

Sandat and Dackers will go back. I'm not sure where Dackers is with his contract at Salford but I do wonder if Maher & Co might fancy him if he's available permanently. I also wonder if is more effective playing slightly deeper - I'm thinking of Solihull away where he caused them real problems by dropping back. Admittedly they were off form. Sandat's a good player but this isn't his league - he needs another 6 months coaching at Hull then a loan to league 2.

I'm not sure David Martin will retire, and I think having him in the background as an emergency goalkeeper is a good thing. We don't name a keeper on the bench and Collin is very clearly the number 1, so I'm not sure that allocating the salary to a second choice keeper is a sensible use of funds - presumably we don't have unlimited funds for players wages, and we have a stadium that needs a fortune spending on it. If Collin gets a slight injury, Martin can cover for a game. If Collin is out for 6 weeks and we're not happy that Martin can do that job, it's very easy to loan a keeper in - lots of clubs have youngsters who they can't get enough game time for.

Demetriou is an interesting one. I think he's a very useful squad member as he can cover so many positions - it's a question of when his time is up. When I've watched him this season I've not thought 'you're off the pace mate' - so it's a question of whether the management team think having him on the bench and around the place is a good use of funds.

I suspect Fonguck and Wood will go - the latter because he's clearly at the bottom of the pile already. He must want first team football - he's clearly good enough for it - and unless Maher has a complete change of heart, he's not going to get it here, so a move is in the interests of all parties.

Powell I'd keep, although I'm not sure Maher will. He's got limitations in his game which we all know (hence he's not playing higher up) but he offers something very different to what we have elsewhere, and in certain matches he causes teams at this level real problems - he's a proper pest when he's at it, and they've not got much pace at the back.

It's then a question of who might get a move elsewhere. No one is irreplaceable and we're in the rare position that if X did leave I'd have a lot of confidence in our management team to find a good replacement. So if any better of our better players are poached by clubs higher up, be it Bridge, GSM, Husin, Cardwell etc - that's good for them and it gives our team the chance to evolve (which it needs, as we aren't the finished product). Whilst I say everyone is replaceable, I'd hope we manage to keep hold of Collin - because I think he's better off in our first team than in a bigger club's under 23s, and Cardwell - because I think he's as complete a centre forward as I've seen at this level and is the one player that might test my 'everyone is replaceable' theory. We've loaned multiple forwards in whilst we've been in this league and none has been as good as him.

As an aside, we got caught in possession at the back yesterday and it cost us a goal - that's happened on a few occasions this season, and has cost us a few points as a result. Are we saying we're OK with this, because the benefits outweigh the odd mistake, or do we need to change tactics or personnel at the back? I watch football highlights on TV and see clubs up and down the country doing this (and getting caught) each week. Surely there's an argument for a team to go back to basics and 'get rid' at the back? Or am I a footballing dinosaur?

I can’t see how Martin and Demi can be kept on soley as coaches and not coach/players. How many coaches does a NL club on a budget need ? I’d have thought both were capable of being squad fillers at this level for another year.

Rumours yesterday

We are keen to sign Dackers. Bloody hope not as he is not the type of player we need and not the type of player to lead a charge to go up next season

Would be massively disappointed if we are after Dackers and agree he is never going to be in a team heading for promotion.

We need better quality up top and in attacking midfield if serious about promotion.

Seen a lot about signing 3 or 4 more players but I thought I read somewhere on here (so it must be true) that the budget had been cut??
Sandat, Dackers, & Woodman are returning to their parent clubs. You also have Demetriou and Martin potentially retiring, and then Wood who’s not particularly in favour and could also be off.

So whatever the budget, you’d think we’d bring 3 or 4 in. Even if they are cheap/loans.
Rumours yesterday

Why not? He is only 21 and has shown potential. If we were bringing him in as first choice striker, then yes that would be a bit worrying. But as a 3rd/4th choice backup striker we could do worse.

Sandat, Dackers, & Woodman are returning to their parent clubs. You also have Demetriou and Martin potentially retiring, and then Wood who’s not particularly in favour and could also be off.

So whatever the budget, you’d think we’d bring 3 or 4 in. Even if they are cheap/loans.

Why not? He is only 21 and has shown potential. If we were bringing him in as first choice striker, then yes that would be a bit worrying. But as a 3rd/4th choice backup striker we could do worse.
We can’t be signing players on potential at this stage. We need to be signing players that are proven at this level or if possible the league above. I think Waldron has shown enough that he will score goals and offers more than Dackers. We’ve had Dackers twice now and he is no better than he was the first time. Would he have got into the squads at Stockport, Wrexham, Notts or Chesterfield. I’d say not. It’s a lack of goals that has cost us in games this season. If we lose Cardwell for example you can’t be replacing him with the likes of Dackers. Of course it’s only my opinion but I don’t know many that I speak with home and away that would want Dackers. I’m sure he is a nice lad but simply doesn’t offer as much as he should for a guy his height in particular

Last edited:
For me we have a really strong core of players, who if still here next season are who I believe will give us a real good shout at the title.

My core is:

Andeng-Ndi
Scott- Morris
Crowther
Taylor
Ralph
Bridge
ANO
Miley
ANO
Cardwell
ANO

This leaves the remaining squad of:

Martin (zero need to replace him)
Kensdale (too many errors to be a nailed on starter for me)
Morton (too similar to Miley but not as good)
Waldron (unproven - maybe a full pre season will show a different player currently)
Coker (excellent prospect)
Husin (too inconsistent and not enough goal threat)
Fonguck (too inconsistent)
Powell (too inconsistent)
Demetriou (hope he signs on again as ideal for bench)
Wood (excellent prospect)

Of these I would be surprised if we retained Fonguck and Powell. I would also be surprised if we re-signed Sandat, but less surprised if we signed Woodman and Dackers.

So, in the event of no departures other than Powell and Fonguck, I believe that we desperately need an attacking midfielder and a proven goalscorer. Coker, Morton and Husin could easily play alongside Miley if we can get that naturally attacking midfielder.

A classic example yesterday for the need of an attacking midfielder was a cross coming in from Bridge and it getting cleared to the edge of the box however Coker, Miley and Morton were so deep it ended up as an easy clearance for Rochdale.

No major surgery needed just some natural growth and improvement needed imho.

Just my thoughts:

We need 2 strikers (assuming Sandat,Dackers and Powell leave) and need them to be signed on basis on being in first team and not to sit on the bench. Goals win leagues and we need to have a forward line that can regularly score no matter who plays. Think of the games we didn’t win but had loads of chances.

Teams have worked out that majority of our threat comes down the left, Gus is good down the right too if he stays, but we offer very little straight done the middle from midfield. We need an upgrade in central attacking mids that can carry the ball forward, create chances and score goals. This will add another dimension to our play meaning our threat is just from out wide, which in turn will provide better chances for the front 2.

Another attacking wing back and a central def who can play Kensdale role would be good for competition too.

For me, those who I would let go with the greatest thanks and pat on the back as upgrades required:

Fonguck
Wood
Sandat
Dackers
Husin
Demi (only as player, keep as coach)

Those who I’d do anything to keep (the spine):
Cardwell
Bridge
GSM
Taylor
Collin
Ralph
Kensdale
Miley

The spine of this team is fantastic. As everyone else has said, we need 1) a ball playing midfielder who can spot the through balls that Waldron DOES make the runs for but gets no service 2) a further striker 3) wing back competition for GSM and Bridge.

As Leeboy pointed out, I did like Rochdale’s No.18 yesterday!!

I'm happy for the club to keep Dackers, I know why many would have reservations, but at 21, he has time on his side and there is definitely a player in there.

Demi should definitely get another season if he feels he can. Was excellent when called upon and his experience is invaluable.

Resigned to losing some of our better players like Collin and Cardwell - It's the nature of the the beast and our recruiting has been solid so I'm not overly concerned.

I am not sure we will see anyone from this squad not being retained or at least being made an offer. I get the impression that KM is very loyal to every member of this squad and is pleased with their application. That is fair enough but we could do with a bit of extra quality here and there.

We can’t be signing players on potential at this stage. We need to be signing players that are proven at this level or if possible the league above. I think Waldron has shown enough that he will score goals and offers more than Dackers. We’ve had Dackers twice now and he is no better than he was the first time. Would he have got into the squads at Stockport, Wrexham, Notts or Chesterfield. I’d say not. It’s a lack of goals that has cost us in games this season. If we lose Cardwell for example you can’t be replacing him with the likes of Dackers. Of course it’s only my opinion but I don’t know many that I speak with home and away that would want Dackers. I’m sure he is a nice lad but simply doesn’t offer as much as he should for a guy his height in particular
If we were to sign Dackers, I imagine we would be looking at signing a proven striker as well. Not just him.

We aren’t going to sign a proven striker to be 3rd/4th choice like Dackers is/would be.

If Maher & Co want to sign him then I’m going to go with their opinion on this one.

Release/d; Fonguck, Wood, Powell
Returned to Parent Club; Dackers, Sandat, Woodman
Retirement/Coaching; Demetriou, Martin

Need: Attacking CM, Two Strikers, RWB back-up, poss back up GK, back-up CB and a fast bench player.

That's the way I'm seeing it without including sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back