• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul McCallum and Nick Haughton. Those two immediately solve our attacking issues. These are the level of players I’d like to see us going for if we have real aspirations of going up next season.
I like this idea. Also, with what is happening to Gateshead and losing their playoff hopes you have got to think some of their better players will be thinking they might need to move on now (Dinagra/Olley) so could be worth an enquiry?

Release/d; Fonguck, Wood, Powell
Returned to Parent Club; Dackers, Sandat, Woodman
Retirement/Coaching; Demetriou, Martin

Need: Attacking CM, Two Strikers, RWB back-up, poss back up GK, back-up CB and a fast bench player.

That's the way I'm seeing it without including sales
Agreed. Not sure about Dackers though. He’s got the ability to push forward which we have often been lacking this season. If he could only stay switched on for the full 90 minutes and get a regular run of games who knows?

Yeah Hayes was everywhere, very busy little player. On loan from Fleetwood and they’ve been relegated so may be in their plans, maybe not.
He was gifted a goal- other than that constantly ran into trouble and lost possession. Work rate severely hampered by the amount of time has was sat on his backside whining- there are much better options out there I think

I can’t see how Martin and Demi can be kept on soley as coaches and not coach/players. How many coaches does a NL club on a budget need ? I’d have thought both were capable of being squad fillers at this level for another year.
And Demi has already be confirmed on the coaching side and from Kev’s comments same likely with Martin if not already sorted. In which case it would be mad not to include them in the playing squad and free up spend elsewhere

And Demi has already be confirmed on the coaching side and from Kev’s comments same likely with Martin if not already sorted. In which case it would be mad not to include them in the playing squad and free up spend elsewhere
I thought this was pretty much the case last season too. We were just fortunate that there were these recently active players who would be being paid for their coaching roles that were also happy to get a little extra from the non-contract terms - whatever they might have been.

We can’t be signing players on potential at this stage. We need to be signing players that are proven at this level or if possible the league above. I think Waldron has shown enough that he will score goals and offers more than Dackers. We’ve had Dackers twice now and he is no better than he was the first time. Would he have got into the squads at Stockport, Wrexham, Notts or Chesterfield. I’d say not. It’s a lack of goals that has cost us in games this season. If we lose Cardwell for example you can’t be replacing him with the likes of Dackers. Of course it’s only my opinion but I don’t know many that I speak with home and away that would want Dackers. I’m sure he is a nice lad but simply doesn’t offer as much as he should for a guy his height in particular
Dackers improved considerably from his first spell with us. I argued against signing him on loan this year based on what we saw last season but he won me over. He’s an ascending player who is getting better and better. He not only improved from last season but he also got better as the season progressed. He’s stronger on the ball, uses his body better to shield it, has a crisper touch.

He’d be - aptly - an huge upgrade over Powell (who was a non-factor again when he came on).

Dackers had one really great game not long ago. I was surprised at his energy , strength, ability to go past people, skill and overall performance. As a young man in a almost a 7ft frame it will probably take him a while to adjust to himself. Clearly there is potential there. Whether he can develop it quickly and into greater consistency is more of an issue

Dackers had one really great game not long ago. I was surprised at his energy , strength, ability to go past people, skill and overall performance. As a young man in a almost a 7ft frame it will probably take him a while to adjust to himself. Clearly there is potential there. Whether he can develop it quickly and into greater consistency is more of an issue
Depends I think- if we brought in McCallum then with Cardwell, Waldron and McCallum then Dackers and Powell would be great. IF retaining Dackers was instead of adding a McCallum then no. These are the trade offs we don’t know about

Depends I think- if we brought in McCallum then with Cardwell, Waldron and McCallum then Dackers and Powell would be great. IF retaining Dackers was instead of adding a McCallum then no. These are the trade offs we don’t know about
I really don't think we will be able to get McCallum. He may be the one that got away. He has a contract until 2025 and would command a fee. After scoring 35 goals, I'd imagine that fee will be quite substantial and there will be a lot of clubs trying to get him this summer. With an apparent smaller budget this season, I can't see us paying for him unfortunately.

Erm ... Why do we want Powell gone?

I'm genuinely confused as to who we want to replace him with.

He might not be a weekly starter, but he's a massive threat and a extremely valuable player who can cause teams problems
If you’re sitting in the South Upper

Because he is awful unfortunately
Awful is extremely harsh. Sometimes a player is played not because of their individual talent, but because of what they do for the team and players around them. Cardwell was at his best and most potent when Powell was up there with him and pulling defenders away, which created the space for Cards. I'm not saying that means that should be our front two next season, but he can definitely make an impact off of the bench against tired legs and against the lesser sides. If Powell is happy with that role I don't know, he certainly isn't awful though.

A lot will depend on budget and whist we all want a McCallum to come in, it probably isn't realistically going to happen. So Kev may rather keep a player who understands the ethos and gets on with the dressing room and works hard for the shirt. All of this is really hard to decipher as we haven't actually been taken over yet. Give me Powell and a club to support with a new owner any day, if it means getting rid of that despicable rat.

If we want to go up next season we need a strong front line and unfortunately that should not include Dackers. Everyone is still far too sentimental to ex players and always seem to suggest they should come back. Did Dackers actually do much other than that assist? His goal was lucky to go in the top corner and could quite easily had cleared the south stand as it didnt look like there was much control on the shot.

Move on, move forward and go up!

Awful is extremely harsh. Sometimes a player is played not because of their individual talent, but because of what they do for the team and players around them. Cardwell was at his best and most potent when Powell was up there with him and pulling defenders away, which created the space for Cards. I'm not saying that means that should be our front two next season, but he can definitely make an impact off of the bench against tired legs and against the lesser sides. If Powell is happy with that role I don't know, he certainly isn't awful though.

A lot will depend on budget and whist we all want a McCallum to come in, it probably isn't realistically going to happen. So Kev may rather keep a player who understands the ethos and gets on with the dressing room and works hard for the shirt. All of this is really hard to decipher as we haven't actually been taken over yet. Give me Powell and a club to support with a new owner any day, if it means getting rid of that despicable rat.
Totally agree. Powell is far from awful. Sometimes final ball is a bit frustrating, but he gets in so many good positions, some are going to come off. What is better? A player that has 5 golden chances and takes 1, or a player that get 2 and takes 1? End result is the same, but I'd say the 5 to 1 player is more likely to convert one of the other 4 than the other getting 100% converted.
His pace and energy is also a concern for opposition teams as you have suggested, pulls players away from Cards etc to give him more space.
I personally would be disappointed if we let him go.

What a weird take...

Hopefully he stays, is an attacking threat and we know he struggles with finishing, but he's still a threat and would definitely have him in the squad, maybe a deeper role either wide or behind a front two.
It might be helpful to point out that his goalscoring record at this level is very considerably better than both Marcus Dackers and Henry Sandat. Of course, the struggling with finishing bit is endemic in the squad and worryingly Callum is towards the top not bottom of the list!!

Love Powell to bits with his heart, attitude, energy and effort but we need a major upgrade on him if we are to be serious about winning the league.

Bench player ? Maybe?

Starter ? No way.
I’d be surprised if Powell was kept on after this season, injuries have put paid to that, not a bad player but I think Maher will need fit players so maybe a short term contract may be in order or a good injury free preseason before anything is offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back