• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New Stadium now at Advanced stage - in Echo 3/8/06

I think Sid Broomfield definately deserves a stand or something in his name at the new stadium. I think his contribution to the club is more valuable then some of the players names that are banded around.

His very small team of workers efforts at getting our stadium open make Wembleys continued delays look even more ridiculous.

I thought it was a really nice touch by the club when he bought out the League 1 trophy after the Bristol City game.

Sid should DEFINITELY have some involvement in the new ground but it should be something with a significant 'tip of the hat' to the contribution he has given to the club. A small bar in one of the stands simply wouldn't be enough to fully recognise what this man did for the club. It should be a stand - The Broomfield Stand ...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Stodge @ Aug. 09 2006,16:03)]Collymore always looked like a potential England player. Eastwood doesn't.
Correct. Eastwood doesn't look like a potential England player, he is a potential England player.

Don't also forget Collymore did play for England.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Aug. 04 2006,00:29)]HOK Sport are the designers not the actual builders of the stadia they have been involved in.

Which are

Stadium Colorado Rapids Soccer Stadium
That's interesting, the new Rapids stadium is opening next spring and the capacity is roughly similiar to that which Ron Martin has proposed for Fossetts Farm.

gallery10.jpg

The new Rapids stadium

I'm not sure if it's a fair comparison, however, since the Rapids are spending loads of money on the surrounding development, since supposedly there making the largest soccer complex in the world. The design is original, with the odd looking roof supposedly matching well with the backdrop of the mountains to the west.

Here's a better picture of the roof-

gallery4.jpg

Hopefully HOK will design something original for Southend as well

interesting Seth,

In some ways with that roof it does capture the feel of an old stadium whilst still being brand new.

Too many of these new stadiums are samey and lack features that make them stand out from the crowd (literally)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kenny @ Aug. 11 2006,19:09)]interesting Seth,

In some ways with that roof it does capture the feel of an old stadium whilst still being brand new.

Too many of these new stadiums are samey and lack features that make them stand out from the crowd (literally)
Yeah, I really doubt the new stadium will be that similiar to the Rapids new stadium because the Rapids stadium includes things like terracing, and also much of it is not covered, which in Denver is not that big of a deal because it hardly ever rains. I just hope, like you said, they can design something original that will give it character that a lot of new stadiums lack.

Also while on the HOK website I saw that they designed Coors Field, the baseball park in Denver, which IMHO is one of the best stadiums in any sport.

Nice - but which corner would you take your corners from
rock.gif

ImageType1_8_0md_hr_07coors.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chaco27saf @ Aug. 13 2006,10:04)]From home plate, obviously
tounge.gif
And the ref could stand on the pitcher's mound for a good view.... but I reckon you'd need 5 linesmen.

I love the scoreboard though, one like that would surely improve the new stadium!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ Aug. 03 2006,15:30)]I think this is where Ron can come into his own with his building background.

I think along with most i can go back 20 years when we first proposed a new ground down by Roller City and until the first brick is laid i shall be very aprehensive.....
I shall be apprehensive until the LAST brick is laid, I've heard too many false promises over the past 2 decades.

If we get the new stadium I'll be over the moon, there's a long way to go yet tho'....

Don't mean to be a cynic,sorry.

Oo.gif
down.gif
sad.gif

So IF Uncle Ron is true to his word, we should be able to see the designs in the next four week's or so then...

Anyone reckon there will be a "delay"...

rock.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So IF Uncle Ron is true to his word, we should be able to see the designs in the next four week's or so then...

I cannot wait for that!

Just wondering if anyone knows what is currently being built by Waitrose. I thought that was the Fossets Farm site.
Has someone else nicked the plot or has Uncle Ron jumped the gun?
Or is Fossets Farm the empty land by Garons?

Just found a planning application regarding the new site...

Can anyone in the know about these things explain what all this means..

From what I gather Ron wants to build a new stadium with a hotel, retail park and houses??

Look

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (southendstrett @ Aug. 25 2006,09:29)]Just wondering if anyone knows what is currently being built by Waitrose. I thought that was the Fossets Farm site.
Has someone else nicked the plot or has Uncle Ron jumped the gun?
Or is Fossets Farm the empty land by Garons?
Isn't it the new DIY Superstore that was being talked about some time ago...

Looking a bit further into other planning applications, it seems permission has been granted for a road to be built across the Fossetts Farm site to serve future developments...

Interesting..

wink.gif

IIRC we own the B&L site and FF is owned by Lansbury (who bought it whilst RM was prevaricating about the price some years ago)
The previous plan involved a "land swap" where the B&Q and access road would be on B&L and the stadium on FF.
However given the financial problems B&Q are finding themselves in and the 4 years or so which has passed since the last idea, this may well have changed

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Aug. 25 2006,11:51)]IIRC we own the B&L site and FF is owned by Lansbury (who bought it whilst RM was prevaricating about the price some years ago)
The previous plan involved a "land swap" where the B&Q and access road would be on B&L and the stadium on FF.
However given the financial problems B&Q are finding themselves in and the 4 years or so which has passed since the last idea, this may well have changed
Hasn't Ron Bought the land now though?

Thought he did a few months back?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hasn't Ron Bought the land now though?

Thought he did a few months back?

I think he had? best to ask him! if he haven't boughted the land, why he is pushing the plan through? Iam looking forward to end of September when I can see the new Stadium plan ..... Cannot Wait!

Back