• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southendsleeper

Manager
Just fantastic...

Got to Roots Hall at one, so many people milling around, flags, placards, more than I thought would go because of the weather. Following the Trust coach down vic ave to the civic centre

Outside the civic centre it was freezing. Feedback from the Civic centre speakers. Not letting in all the fans. Echo photographer orchestrating things.
The man with the dog in his jacket keeping it warm. The attractive redhead. A good atmosphere young and old alike. Banter with the police. Not being allowed on the steps. Seeing the players leave the coach. Singing to Sodje but unfortunately ignoring Guttridge.

Listening to the council debate the new ground. Someone saying it was a class design, how we expect the best, how it was a brilliant design. Singing 'Sit down shut up' to the councillor talking for talkings sake. Ron Martin waving to the fans. Hearing the councillors say we need a new stadium....'but'. Freezing and not being able to feel our feet. Councillor 'wet blanket' going on and not being able to hear her. Chatting with other fans.

Being moved into the civic center as it was too cold. Being with more fans. It looking like we wouldnt get the stadium. The Indian councillor being criticised by some fans, then going onto blow the council away with his enthusiasm for the proposal and the club. Cheering and booing various council arguments. The vote not to go to deferment, the fans mistakenly thinking the new ground had been agreed. The real 'unseen' vote...the sudden realisation that we had 'won' 13-0. The exhiliration. Cheering the team as they came down the stairs. Using all my credit on my phone telling everyone I know.

Ron Martin's deserved chanting as he came out to take the applause.

Couple of pints down the pub

At the moment...does it get better than this

Seeing it scroll continually across the screen on Sky Sport News....

Hi Southend Sleeper

Could I please use this great report on my blog Longpier
- It would make great reading
Just fantastic...

Got to Roots Hall at one, so many people milling around, flags, placards, more than I thought would go because of the weather. Following the Trust coach down vic ave to the civic centre

Outside the civic centre it was freezing. Feedback from the Civic centre speakers. Not letting in all the fans. Echo photographer orchestrating things.
The man with the dog in his jacket keeping it warm. The attractive redhead. A good atmosphere young and old alike. Banter with the police. Not being allowed on the steps. Seeing the players leave the coach. Singing to Sodje but unfortunately ignoring Guttridge.

Listening to the council debate the new ground. Someone saying it was a class design, how we expect the best, how it was a brilliant design. Singing 'Sit down shut up' to the councillor talking for talkings sake. Ron Martin waving to the fans. Hearing the councillors say we need a new stadium....'but'. Freezing and not being able to feel our feet. Councillor 'wet blanket' going on and not being able to hear her. Chatting with other fans.

Being moved into the civic center as it was too cold. Being with more fans. It looking like we wouldnt get the stadium. The Indian councillor being criticised by some fans, then going onto blow the council away with his enthusiasm for the proposal and the club. Cheering and booing various council arguments. The vote not to go to deferment, the fans mistakenly thinking the new ground had been agreed. The real 'unseen' vote...the sudden realisation that we had 'won' 13-0. The exhiliration. Cheering the team as they came down the stairs. Using all my credit on my phone telling everyone I know.

Ron Martin's deserved chanting as he came out to take the applause.

Couple of pints down the pub

At the moment...does it get better than this

Seeing it scroll continually across the screen on Sky Sport News....

It wasnt all amazing, a lot of it was standing in the cold not being able to hear anything :)

I had to leave before the decision as well!

It wasnt all amazing, a lot of it was standing in the cold not being able to hear anything :)

I had to leave before the decision as well!

Yes but even so. It must have been better than sitting at the computer speculating over whether or not SBC would approve the plans ;)

It was bloody cold but I was one of the lucky ones to get up to the corridor outside the main chamber early with a hot coffee. I expected it to become absolutely heaving after a few minutes but it remained relatively empty until about 45 minutes before the decision was made. Why those people stood outside for so long for God only knows :D

Hi D62

Any chance you could do me a write up for the blog as well...be great to have your views also - but only if you have time

Thanks
It was bloody cold but I was one of the lucky ones to get up to the corridor outside the main chamber early with a hot coffee. I expected it to become absolutely heaving after a few minutes but it remained relatively empty until about 45 minutes before the decision was made. Why those people stood outside for so long for God only knows :D

Truly a Day to Remember:

After wrapping up like I was about to embark on an Arctic expedition it was time to leave for Roots Hall and hopefully meet up with the many other like minded hardy souls. In my pessimism I expected perhaps 30 to 40 to be in attendance so you can imagine my surprise and delight when I drove through the gates of Roots Hall bang on 1pm to find I was just one of approximately 100 to 150 other Blues supporters to have taken time out of their day to attend today's events.

After 20 minutes of standing around, chatting to others, all airing their views on what today's outcome would likely be I verily jumped at the chance to hitch a ride to the Council Offices on the Trust coach and try and get some sort of feeling back into my toes which by this time had I'm sure gone blue.

Another 15 minutes in traffic getting the 1/2 mile from Roots Hall to the Council offices and we de-camped prior to the bus stop to join those that had made the short walk on foot.

Not 10 seconds after leaving the coach we were informed that the Council chamber where the meeting was taking place was already full and that we'd have to wait outside. Various rumors spread as to why it should have been full so early, ranging from it being full of KARERS and objectors to it being moved to a smaller chamber with far less seating in the public gallery but no matter, this didn't seem to dampen anyone's enthusiasm and this just went up a notch when the assembled media photographers got everyone together on the steps for a photo call.

2pm came around and still we waited for the outside speaker to jump into life. All wasn't looking well when at 2.07pm it sparked into life and we were then privileged to hear a Council Committee member ramble on through the square footage of this and the square footage of that. Cue lots of bemused looks from the assembled masses.

2.30pm and a coffee was in order, courtesy of Beaver. It was then we heard a rumor that some were being aloud upstairs to listen to the proceedings from the comfort of a nice warm corridor with comfy chairs and speakers in the ceiling. Needless to say a few of us surreptisiously and cautiously made our way upstairs and pick our spot.

After a few tweaks with the speaker system all was well and we got stuck into what was being said in the room next door. For the first 60 minutes or so there was a distinct feeling of apprehension as we listened to one Councillor after another recommend the application be referred until various sticking points had been resolved.

Not being up on all this planning speak I have to admit that a lot of it went completely over my head but the one bit I did get was when it came to the first vote. The vote for referral.
Everything went quiet as the Chairman asked for a show of hands. You could have heard a pin drop I swear but the next few words spoken by the Chairman, when they came, were a complete and utter shock. A big fat NO to the referral option.
I looked at a few others and they genuinely seemed as shocked as me as up to this point referral was what we were all realistically expecting but no, it had to be a yes or a no, one or the other.
The tension went up a notch or two at this news but it would be another 30 minutes or so until the final vote came in (although a large number got rather ahead of themselves at something that was said in chambers and started cheering and shouting way before time).

Best speech of the day by a councillor was by far the one made by an Indian chap, who's name escapes me now, who more or less told the other councillors to pull their proverbial fingers out and look to the future and approve the application. The man deservedly got the biggest cheer and applause from those assembled around me.

Shortly after came the vote we had all be hoping for but secretly not expecting. A 13 - 0 majority vote in favour of the Fossets Farm development. The place erupted to cheers, whoops, claps and terrace songs with looks of astonishment and joy from all those around me.

After so many years of disappointment and let downs our beloved club was finally going to get what it needs and deserves. Well done and a big thank you to Ron Martin, Tilly & Brush, the players and everyone concerned with doing their bit to see this day finally come to fruition.

I don't remember the walk back to Roots Hall. I spent the whole time on the phone to various people giving them the good news and how I didn't get run down will remain a total mystery.

The futures bright. The futures Blue

D62

Last edited by a moderator:
Good review of the day D62SUBOY, like you I'm amazed how I didnt get run over when i was telling everyone the good news

Back