• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hasn't the 'deadline' for 10 bookings resulting in a suspension passed???

There's some stuff on another thread about this . Maher had been 'behaving ' in recent weeks and probably knew he's likely to be ok . Just hope the link on the other post is up to date

RC I think your post is spot on. We have been walking a tightrope for so long this season and yet if anyone criticises Tilly or RM they come in for a slating.
From my point of view, and lets forget the fact that so many say we don't want to bankrupt ourselves, RM quoted personally that serious money would be given to Tilly in January - it never materialised.
We have by far and away the smallest squad in the division, and probably in League 1 also.
The buys Tilly has made are, with the possible exception of Clarke and McCormack, awful, and quite truthfully he has wasted so much money on them circa £ 750,000, that I, if I were RM, would probably worry about giving him any more to spend.
IMO we are returning to League 1 with a worse squad than when we left.
Tilly worked wonders for the previous 2 seasons, no one can deny that, but anyone in this game is judged on sucess and success alone, and Tilly has shown this season his inexperience and naivity.
Bad buys, playing players out of position, late or poor substitutions, poor tactics, and yet I will get shot down for saying this with the retorts of, and I wait for them, 'he saved us from the conference', 'he will learn from the experience', 'Tilly is SUFC through and through', all garbage if we struggle next year, and with lower gates and less revenue, and with so many of the poor players brought in being on longer contracts, we now have to stick with them.
All managers in the FL are criticised and yet if anyone comes on here and has a word against Tilly they are shot down.
RM extended Tilly's contract when most chairman would have replaced him. I just wonder how wise that will prove if we go straight back to League 2.
And before all the comments arrive about go and support ColU or West Ham, I will renew my ST next year, I will support the team, I'm not looking forward to the drop in opposition, and I'm disappointed at the clubs lack of aspirations and ambition this year the managers poor buys, inexperience and naivity and excuses about loan players.
Basically we had our chance and we blew it.

I guess miracle workers are only as good as their last miracle ...

At least Maher cares about the club, saying that i thought all the players did yesterday.

It was a good performance, and i think Eastwood was proberly not fit enough for the full 90 but still played well.
Bradbury had some VERY good link up play again yesterday but his pace once again let him down as he is being forced to play on the defenders shoulder when Freddy drops deep.

Special mention for Francis who i thought was fantastic yesterday, best game in a SUFC shirt by miles.

Did anyone else read Ian Hollaways notes in the Program, something about everyone needs to believe in the same thing and if you don't, don't come. If you see a player playing badly, don't slag him off, just cheer on the other 10 players around him. But if you want to cheer for him maybe that will make him play like you want him to ?

Maybe we can take something from that ?

LONG LIVE SUFC

Too tired yesterday to pass comment on the match its a long old journey. Yesterday called for a captains performance from maher but we did not get one he was too busy moaning to the referee. Barrett was the player driving forward and trying to lift the team. Clarke had a very shaky start and his mistake put us behind we have too many mistakes at the back which have been punished. Hamell had a bad afternoon he was trying to cover two players on the left because Foran gave him no help whatsoever which left Hammell undecided which player to mark and never got close to either of them. The right hand side looked nicely balanced today if Francis went forward JCR immediately covered for him and Francis always offered an out ball for JCR if needed. McCormack looked nervous and in the 2nd half Maher and McCormack seemed to have lost control of the mid-field. The forwards Foranis neither mid-field defender or attacker he offered us nothing today and should have been taken off why does the man always look totally shattered after being on the pitch for 20 minuted he looks terribly unfit. Eastwood was not at his best but should always be left on the pitch because he always gives you some hope and the opposition always have two players on him which should open up the space for the other players. Bradbury turned into a defending misfielder every ball was passed backwards and a couple of times he seemed to be throiugh on goal only to get muscled off the ball or outpaced. Harold waste of space sorry but every-one inthe crowd gave a collective groan bring him on if you must but take foran off it least it would have given us more of a treat. Overall bad descions if next years attack is bradbury and Harold we are going straight through league one the wrong way

Top Post there hit the nail on the head.

Which is exactly what I was going to say after trolling through 3 pages.

I rarely agree with RC, but at least he puts his points across in a lucid manner, and is prepared to admit he may be wrong, unlike the likes of wiggy, TTK etc

Very kind of you to say sir! :)

That is kind of my whole point at times, I dont expect people to always agree with me, it would be boring if we all shared the same point of view, but rather than just shoot me down in flames, then debate with me in a reasoned and structured manner. That is the whole point of this board is it not?

Football is all about points of view and opinions, and I am not so narrow minded to admit that I am sometimes wrong in my points of view, as we all are.

There seems to be with some people the theory that because someone can post comments which may appear as negative or critical in that some way they dont want the best for the club or they dont support them, on the contrary as far as I am concerned, I am every bit as passionate and supportive as any fellow supporter, in many cases, probably more so, and it is probably a lot better venting my frustrations and anger on here than during the 90 minutes at the players!

The one common denominator we all share is the love of our football club and our desire for it to do the best it possibly can, and whilst at times it may appear that some people have fallen out of love with it, or are just moaning for moanings sake, I for one can honestly say that for myself, I could never be without it!

UP THE BLUES!

IMO we are returning to League 1 with a worse squad than when we left.

That is clearly not true. Sorry.

It sounds like Maher got away with it with regards to his booking. It's still a stupid, stupid thing to get booked for either way. I appreciate that he cares but I just wish he could show it on the pitch without constantly bitching to the referee.

Just a thought here, but it seems as though people are only calling for the 2005/2006 squad because we achieved something with them! Now that we are struggling people want to go back the good times of last season which to them means the old squad. But I can't honestly believe that squad of 2005/2006 would have done better than the one we have now. All those people saying we should have kept Wayne Gray because then we would have had pace - yes he was quick but you all seem to forget moaning because he had an awful first touch! He would never get away with that in this league as defenders would pounce on the ball straight away! There's no point in saying "I want the old squad back" as it's not going to happen! Sorry but get over it, move on! The squad we have now is not a bad squad and to be honest I'm getting a bit tired of everyone saying it is.

Why? What did he say?

As always with mayer his mouth goes into overdrive from where i was sitting he was questioning the referee with regards the foul as he was doing through the game

In my opion Plymouth players where falling down at ever opportunity they had when a foul was committed as the ref was very poor

again mayer mouth has got him into trouble and we loose him for the last 2 games of the season

In my opion Plymouth players where falling down at ever opportunity they had when a foul was committed as the ref was very poor

Have you seen Holloway's post-match comments?
He suggested Southend were very physical and that the referee would penalise them for minor offences and not pull us up if we commited similar fouls. He also said their GK was impeded for the goal and it went straight in from Hammell's delivery. Clarkie fouled the goalie while Freddy was holding him back!

Just a thought here, but it seems as though people are only calling for the 2005/2006 squad because we achieved something with them! Now that we are struggling people want to go back the good times of last season which to them means the old squad. But I can't honestly believe that squad of 2005/2006 would have done better than the one we have now. All those people saying we should have kept Wayne Gray because then we would have had pace - yes he was quick but you all seem to forget moaning because he had an awful first touch! He would never get away with that in this league as defenders would pounce on the ball straight away! There's no point in saying "I want the old squad back" as it's not going to happen! Sorry but get over it, move on! The squad we have now is not a bad squad and to be honest I'm getting a bit tired of everyone saying it is.

Most people agree with you however there are some who have said all along that last year we were winning this year we are losing so the squad must be worse. No consideration for the fact the teams we play at this level are somewhat better.....

The squad we have isnt good enough for the Championship but will be better than the one we had in League one. However heres the sting in the tail, its unlikely we will win the title next year so the same people will then start saying they were proved right!

Last season we did really well on the back of a promotion, with a 20 goal a season striker, next year we will be on the back of a relegation without a proven striker, its going to be a challenge.

Not true in your opinion.
Give me the 2005/2006 squad anyday !!!

Guttridge is better than McCormack ?
Che Wilson is better than Hammell ?
Prior is better than Clarke?
Jupp is better than Francis?

Sorry, whilst its all about opinions theres no way on earth you can say yes to all 4 of those....

Last edited:
He suggested Southend were very physical and that the referee would penalise them for minor offences and not pull us up if we commited similar fouls. He also said their GK was impeded for the goal and it went straight in from Hammell's delivery. Clarkie fouled the goalie while Freddy was holding him back!

Wouldn't worry about whathe says as he is a nob.

I fail to see why so many people are impressed with him - I guess it is because of his idiosyncratic ways.

I fail to see why so many people are impressed with him - I guess it is because of his idiosyncratic ways.

Yes & no.
To be honest, one of few managers I'd have at the Hall if Tilly did leave & we needed a replacement!

Holloway is a Barry Fry style rent-a-gob, without the betrayal. People don't listen to people like Fry and Holloway for their opinion, just to be entertained.

Most people agree with you however there are some who have said all along that last year we were winning this year we are losing so the squad must be worse. No consideration for the fact the teams we play at this level are somewhat better.....

The squad we have isnt good enough for the Championship but will be better than the one we had in League one. However heres the sting in the tail, its unlikely we will win the title next year so the same people will then start saying they were proved right!

Last season we did really well on the back of a promotion, with a 20 goal a season striker, next year we will be on the back of a relegation without a proven striker, its going to be a challenge.

You only have to look at where last year's 3 relegated sides are to realise how difficult it is to bounce back .

On the bright side , we already have as many points (42) as Crewe who were the third side relegated last year - with Millwall on 40 and Brighton on 38 , so maybe we have a tiny bit more quality than those teams

He must have watching a different game to me that all i can say i when jcr had his legs taken on two occassions only one player was booked should have been a red not a yellow

Back