• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

duncan bulgaria

Fuzzy Wuzzy Was a Woman
Having just read the thread regarding Paynter staying and fighting for his place , it had me wondering what the pecking order of our strikers would be and if any will be getting sold or pi88ed off sitting on the bench week in week out, for me in order it is

Mcdonald= only seen glimpses of the lad but something just feels right about his move here and i think he will do extremly well

Paynter= should partner Mcdonald and will be a lot more affective this season in a lower league

Foran = good pace , hope he has worked on his finishing , but can see him causing problems this year to defences , having said that i can't see him being happy warming the bench.

Hooper= needs to start showing us what he is all about and get fit and take any chances Tilly gives him with two hands and stake a place in the team

Harrold = Also think he has`a chance to shine , but needs to get his confidence back and start threating more , as plays with his back to goal to often and has no real pace to threaten,

Ademeno= would like to see him given a run out , just like Lawson did when he was in the same position and see what he can do , seems like playing in league one won't phase him .

Bradbury= for me he would be last on pecking list , yes he is a better player than some of the above but we need to move forward and start giving the youngsters a go , pretty much knoew what your getting from Lee , 10 goals a season , nice touches , holds it up , but to easy to mark out of the game so becomes ineffective. Could see him leave if he is not gettin regular footbal.

thoughts please

for me there is two lists (i.e. you wont have paynter and bradbury together or bradbury and harrold together)

one position-
macdonald
foran
hooper
ademeno

other position-
paynter
bradbury
harrold

Bradders touch and vision will make him much more useful at this level..Especially putting Macdonald in if he is playing further up the pitch than Freddie did

Having just read the thread regarding Paynter staying and fighting for his place , it had me wondering what the pecking order of our strikers would be and if any will be getting sold or pi88ed off sitting on the bench week in week out, for me in order it is

Mcdonald= only seen glimpses of the lad but something just feels right about his move here and i think he will do extremly well

Paynter= should partner Mcdonald and will be a lot more affective this season in a lower league

Foran = good pace , hope he has worked on his finishing , but can see him causing problems this year to defences , having said that i can't see him being happy warming the bench.

Hooper= needs to start showing us what he is all about and get fit and take any chances Tilly gives him with two hands and stake a place in the team

Harrold = Also think he has`a chance to shine , but needs to get his confidence back and start threating more , as plays with his back to goal to often and has no real pace to threaten,

Ademeno= would like to see him given a run out , just like Lawson did when he was in the same position and see what he can do , seems like playing in league one won't phase him .

Bradbury= for me he would be last on pecking list , yes he is a better player than some of the above but we need to move forward and start giving the youngsters a go , pretty much knoew what your getting from Lee , 10 goals a season , nice touches , holds it up , but to easy to mark out of the game so becomes ineffective. Could see him leave if he is not gettin regular footbal.

thoughts please

Can't really disagree with most of what you've said on those players. My order would be a tad different though:

MacDonald - think hell make the step up well and will definitely bang in goals
Paynter - his positive Bradford experience and the fact that he will have a whole pre-season under his belt will stand him in good stead. I expect him to be fully capable of getting 8-10 goals next season and being a good asset. He has the talent.
Foran - hopefully he can improve his finishing and get involved a bit more, but he will definitely cause defences problems.
Harrold - Can only see him appearing off the subs bench for most of the time. Needs to improve his strength and his first touch to be more effective.
Bradbury - I don't think he should be in this position in the pecking order. I think he's past it. But Tilly seems to love him, so I think he WILL be in a fairly decent position next season. Can't see him playing any more than Harrold would though.
Hooper - promising, yes. But for me, hasn't shown enough signs of development to warrant a big role next season. I'm sure T&B think the same. Give it a season or 2. But as one to come off the bench and start occasionally, he'd still be effective.
Adameno - not QUITE there yet, but again, like Hooper, definitely has the potential. Will come on as a sub a few times and make a good impression. Nothing more for the immediate future though.

Surely far too early to even speculate. Too many combinations to choose from and really depends on pre-season as well.

Bradbury, will he be tempted to have more shots at this level?

I seem to recall many a game last season where I cant remember him having a shot.

I do rate his hold up play and vision but we need 2 strikers scoring, not just one.

Tilson's priority signing should be a decent pacy striker, we've lacked this since Wayne Gray left.

If McDonald bangs a few in pre-season I think he will start probably alongside Paynter or Foran.

Of course we might sign another striker yet!

I think a lot will depend upon pre-season. Tilly & Brush have been fairly loyal to players at the start of seasons generally (with Spinner starting ahead of Clarke last season being a perfect example), but with every single one of our strikers having a point to prove I'd suggest that both starting positions are up for grabs. I'd have thought that Charlie McDonald will be given a good chance early on but I've got no idea who partners him. Paynter? Foran? Thats almost 400 grands-worth of striker there which is big money at this level. But then where do Hooper, Harrold & Bradbury fit in?

I actually think we'll end up signing someone else too. We could do with someone who is quick, strong and has an eye for goal. No idea where we could find someone like that though.

I hope it is Mcdonald and Paynter to start tbh. If they both have a good pre-season i think they could be a quality pairing. I hope Foran doesnt start as I really havent seen anything of him that makes me think WOW! It seemed that during most of the games last season he was running backwards he was so slow!

I am really surprised how far down their lists a lot of you are putting Hooper, my list:

Hooper
Mac
Foran
Bradders
Paynter
Harrold

My nominal pecking order would be:

Mac
Billy
Hoops
Foran
Prince Harry
Bradders

...but in truth:

1. It depends who's on fire in the pre-seasons; and

2. I have a sinking feeling that Bradders will be much higher up Tilly's pecking order.

:(

My nominal pecking order would be:

Mac
Billy
Hoops
Foran
Prince Harry
Bradders

...but in truth:

1. It depends who's on fire in the pre-seasons; and

2. I have a sinking feeling that Bradders will be much higher up Tilly's pecking order.

:(

Yep I think you are spot on with your choices there and as you say i think tilly rates bradders a lot higher than the shrimperzone faithful but then again how many of us have led a professional football team to two promotions? And no, before anyone says, football manager doesn't count haha!

I hope it is Mcdonald and Paynter to start tbh. If they both have a good pre-season i think they could be a quality pairing. I hope Foran doesnt start as I really havent seen anything of him that makes me think WOW! It seemed that during most of the games last season he was running backwards he was so slow!

Paynter did ?

I think Mcdonald has to start, he is the only one who has shown he can score goals, even if at conference level.

I probably would give Paynter the first chance up with him, not really seen anything in him that would indicate he will be any good but he did have a good second half against Cardiff before getting injured and it will be interesting to see if he can deliver.

I too wouldnt be surprised if Bradbury does start as Tilson might want the experience, personally I think with Freddy gone we need more of a goal threat.

So much depends on players' performances pre-season but, without much to go on at this stage, I have a feeling that the Paynter-MacDonald partnership might prove to be a good one for us. I certainly rate Paynter and think that this could well be his season! I hope so, anyway.

Amazing support for Paynter. Why then, was everyone booing him last season?

Is it just because we think he's found his level? If so, isn't that Tilly's fault for buying him a season too early?

Or are some feeling a little guilty?

Back