• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Four Four Two - September Issue

Just got my Sept issue of 442 this morning in the post.
The usual season preview is in there and as per usual we're pretty much ignored when it comes to predicted finishes (they have us down as finishing just outside the playoffs in 9th while the Setanta expert thinks we'll finish 6th (Swansea in the playoffs).

Both seem to think Yeovil will do quite well, whereas I know a lot of people on here (myself included) think they might really struggle, and shock horror they've also got Leeds & Forest to have storming seasons. Loads of expectation in the Championship preview too regarding Wolves (definite candidates for automatic promotion was mentioned in passing).

Also, in the main part of the mag, there's a piece about how they are intending to follow a set player from each of the 72 Football League clubs and tracking both their individual & clubs progress through the forthcoming season. You can vote as to who you want as Southend's representative by emailing FourFourTwo72@haymarket.com

I'm not really sure who to vote for yet as my suggestion, should I go for the old faves like Flavs, King Kev or Adam or maybe it would be of an interesting insight from somebody like new boy Charlie MacDonald in his first full season (at 1st team level) of league football? I was thinking maybe the power of the Zone should come into play here and we should agree on who to vote for before we all email in? Thoughts?

Last edited:
I'd want to follow Gilbert (coming to a smaller club and a different world; adjusting to life outside Arsenal and the pressures of trying to force his way into the plans of a manager 50 miles away etc.), but then again I'm not a Sarfend fan.

On a related note you'll all be pleased to know that FourFourTwo write glowingly about all of our new signings, and then promptly put us to finish 24th.

If I had the balls I would lay Forest for promotion. It scares me a litle though.

Hmm, that's nothing to do with the thread at all.

Let's put something else. I would probably follow MacDonald as he has just stepped up two leagues.

I wouldn't follow JCR because he has endless stamina.

I'd want to follow Gilbert (coming to a smaller club and a different world; adjusting to life outside Arsenal and the pressures of trying to force his way into the plans of a manager 50 miles away etc.), but then again I'm not a Sarfend fan.

On a related note you'll all be pleased to know that FourFourTwo write glowingly about all of our new signings, and then promptly put us to finish 24th.

That would be a good idea, but as Gilbert's loan is only six months, I'd rather see someone else - who is likely to be here all season - followed.

Personally I'd nominate MacDonald, as Glasgow said it's his first full season in a league club's first team, we can see how he copes this term.

I'd love to know the reasoning behind Leeds doing well... A club in turmoil, with countless players jumping ship and their inability to bring in ANYONE until the embargo is lifted by the Football League... by which time most of the decent targets will have gone to clubs actually capable of paying their players on time.

I'd love to know the reasoning behind Leeds doing well... A club in turmoil, with countless players jumping ship and their inability to bring in ANYONE until the embargo is lifted by the Football League... by which time most of the decent targets will have gone to clubs actually capable of paying their players on time.

I agree, every pundit seems to think they're going to storm the league but they'll need some players before that can happen and the whole mess with their league share doesn't look like it's going to be sorted in a hurry.
Interestingly, I noticed in the 'Planet Football' section that Yorkshire Police have refused to provide policing next season unless Leeds pay for it in advance after the meagre amount they were offered as a creditor...

Oh yes you are.

I think pundits and the like need to realise that Leeds cant survive on their "big club" reputation/name forever. Things dont look good for them, and how they are predicted to storm the league with the current circumstances I just cant see!

I think pundits and the like need to realise that Leeds cant survive on their "big club" reputation/name forever. Things dont look good for them, and how they are predicted to storm the league with the current circumstances I just cant see!

Good words Sam...may I enlarge upon them Glasgow Rich wise.

We hate Leeds

Yeah but how many people have said that for the past 2 seasons though?
They're still in L1, no matter how much cash they've thrown at trying to get out of it.

This is the thing. Ordinarily, form plays a big part in decisions and their form suggests that they won't get promoted. That said, I suppose form suggests no-one will get promoted because those that did don't play in the league any more.

That said, player for player, they are as good as anyone in the league. I just have massive reservations over Calderwood.

Most of these se called "experts" know sweet bugger all about football below the Premier League, and therefore equate big clubs like Forest & Leeds with instant promotion. Sadly lacking in Forest these past two seasons. They may well also recognise clubs like Swansea, new ground & a few bob to spend as well.

Really it's lazy & thoughtless journalism.

It's often the case that when the pundits get it wrong, they get it completely wrong ! !

It's Forest to go up as Champs in my opinion with the likes of Oldham and Millwall being the surprise packages.

Didn't FourFourTwo Magazine have us as relegation candidates the last time we started a League One campaign, and we ended up as CHAMPIONS ! !

Everyone thinks Leeds will get promoted, but i reckon they're gonna be in a relegation fight. Gonna stick a fiver on them to get relegated

I would follow Maher, the captain and the man of many seasons. Been through many up's and more downs and yet is still here to tell the story.

I agree Macdonald would be interesting, but for all the history and ability Maher for me deserves the public media spotlight far more !!

Loyal , longstanding servant and still by far our most important player

I would follow Maher, the captain and the man of many seasons. Been through many up's and more downs and yet is still here to tell the story.

I agree Macdonald would be interesting, but for all the history and ability Maher for me deserves the public media spotlight far more !!

Loyal , longstanding servant and still by far our most important player

Damn right, TTS - seconded.

Back