• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who's our best player?

seany t

President
It's been an interesting year for the side, with the talisman now gone and several new players coming in. Just wondered who people think is currently our best player?

Obviously form comes and goes and performances are subjective, but my gut feeling is that Bailey really is a class act. He has the tackling ability and grit of Macca (without the bookings), the sense to lay off a simple ball like Maher (without the bookings), the work rate of a steam engine and weighs in with some very well taken, mature goals.

I know one man doesn't make a team, but I think he's the second best buy Tilson / Brush have ever made.

Yep, NB for me too (on current form & what he brings to the team)!
Maybe he'll turn out to be the best buy of T&B's reign, who knows?

Bailey all day long but Macca and Leon pushing him.

Bailey has been different class , but Leon has added the goals - so which player is most IMPORTANT then ??

Being important is different than being the best !!!

Best : Bailey/Clarke (P)
Important : Leon
Disappointment : Gower (can give so much more - no this is not a slag off before anyone bites - it is a feeling that we are missing his peak form !!)

At the moment Bailey's bang in form and you won't get a tremendous amount of people who don't mention his name in this thread.

It's difficult to quantify this because players in different positions have different qualities but overall I'd say Bailey by a whisker.

Currently our best player is Nicky Bailey.

He's probably been my man of the match in half of the games I've seen this season, possibly more. His reading of the game is a joy to watch.

To be honest, I was amazed that we didn't seem to have stiff competition for Bailey in the summer. Goalscoring midfielder, tough in the tackle, he reminded me of all we heard of McLeod when we were supposed to be signing him.

I think time will tell whether he has the composure to take his game to the next level but he has made a superb start. From what I've seen and given his own goalscoring exploits, I'd say McCOrmack is only a stupid sending off behind.

I'd even dispute the importance of Clarke over Bailey. Yes he's scored goals but we were scoring goals before we signed him. Bailey's presence in the team seems to reduce the workload on the defence dramatically.

To be honest, I was amazed that we didn't seem to have stiff competition for Bailey in the summer. Goalscoring midfielder, tough in the tackle, he reminded me of all we heard of McLeod when we were supposed to be signing him.

I think time will tell whether he has the composure to take his game to the next level but he has made a superb start. From what I've seen and given his own goalscoring exploits, I'd say McCOrmack is only a stupid sending off behind.

I'd even dispute the importance of Clarke over Bailey. Yes he's scored goals but we were scoring goals before we signed him. Bailey's presence in the team seems to reduce the workload on the defence dramatically.

Spot on. Particularly that last last comment. I'm going to put up a thread about that later today or tomorrow which you might be interested in.

For pure abiliy Leon Clarke, some of his goals have been utter brilliance. For consistentcy and importance to the team it has to be Bailey though.

This is a tricky one as this season we are far more balanced as a team and not relying on one player which must be a good thing.

I think I need to watch Bailey more as to me he isnt really a player who has stood out other than the goals. I thought he was awful pre-season but certainly has become an good player since, Im not yet blown away though which is most probably because I dont watch him closely enough!

Leon Clarkes arrival and his knack of putting the ball in he net has been far more influential in getting us to where we are though so Id go with him.

Who has gone on to be a complete disappointment up at Col U as well. Think we got lucky there!

For pure abiliy Leon Clarke, some of his goals have been utter brilliance. For consistentcy and importance to the team it has to be Bailey though.

Watching him at Walsall made me really appreciate what he offers to the team. Yes he scores goals, but the way he held the ball up was superb. None of the Walsall players could get near him once in possession. His strength is something our front line has sorely been lacking over the past year. And also his vision for a pass could possibly be better than anyone else in our team. He has that knack for picking out the right pass at the right time, much like Goater did so well before him.

I still have this slight concern that in actual fact, he might be a bit average?

He turned the game for us against Gillingham, but other than that I haven't seen too much at the Hall thats made me rate him much higher than Harrold. Had he not been on that run of goals too, Harrold would have taken that penalty the other week and maybe then he'd have gone on a bit of a run?

I'm not saying he's bad or that he's not our best striker, as some of his control and strength are great, but I still have some reservations over whether or not he's a "confidence" player who's maybe on a bit of a roll right now rather than in his more typical form...

I still have this slight concern that in actual fact, he might be a bit average?

He turned the game for us against Gillingham, but other than that I haven't seen too much at the Hall thats made me rate him much higher than Harrold. Had he not been on that run of goals too, Harrold would have taken that penalty the other week and maybe then he'd have gone on a bit of a run?

I'm not saying he's bad or that he's not our best striker, as some of his control and strength are great, but I still have some reservations over whether or not he's a "confidence" player who's maybe on a bit of a roll right now rather than in his more typical form...

i dont think he's anything special, i prefer Freddy to Leon, well the first two years we had Freddy, not last season

Back