• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Thought the ref was a pedant, and the farting around he took at free-kicks really broke up the rhythm of the game, more than anything. The Bailey incident was also a tricky one. I think Nicky was looking for the pen... but then he was tackled off the ball. Is that a yellow card offence? I'd have given the ref a 5 at best, although I've seen worse, for sure.

I also think the mark for Gower, in particular, was far too generous. I thought his display on Saturday was as disappointing as I've seen him give in recent seasons. Practically every time we lost possession in the first half, it was through him; he created almost nothing, and he rarely got into difficult positions. Early in the second half, he was blowing out of his @rse... is he back on the B&H again? I'd give him a 4.5, and hope to goodness that he's benched in favour of Cap'n Kev next time out. Black also flattered to deceive a lot of the time, and lost possession at crucial times, and I'd have given him a 6.

Hooper is a quandary. Whilst I agree with YB that Hoops is often trying to be too clever by half, I diagree with him that the solution is to bring back Matt Harrold. Hooper does appear, at least, to be trying to set up a rapport with Leon Clarke. He is always looking for him, trying to pick him out with balls, run off him into space. Harrold hasn't done any of these things. We may be able to knock it long to Matty H - and he in turn may be able to get it to stick - but once he's got the ball, he does f*** all with it. No clever passes to Leon Clarke, putting him in space. No defence cutting balls to an on-rushing Nicky Bailey... instead, just a little dobble back to Maher or Black in heavily defended parts of the field for them to attempt (usually without success) to do something with it.

I'd give Hoops a 6.5, and hope that Tilly continues with him.

Finally, full marks to Carlisle. Yes, I thought we played very well in the first half and knocked it around beautifully. But, like it or not (and clearly, I didn't like it, but that's not the point) the Cumbrians did a real job on us. They didn't come and try to play us at our own game (like Crewe attempted to - and how we praised them as we stuck three past them at a canter); instead, they stuck 10 behind the ball, stifled us for space, offered no attacking threat... and then punished us when we eventually gave them one chance.

If they keep that up away from home, they'll be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. It's ugly, but my goodness it's effective.

Final thought... FWIW, Hooly, I though your comments were bang out of order. Just because fbm thought the ref was OK (and perhaps few of us will agree with him), that's no reason to dish out personal abuse. Alan Green, FFS! That's really uncalled for. Besides, I haven't seen too many other hands being put up to volunteer to write the match reports...

:flamer:

Thought the ref was a pedant, and the farting around he took at free-kicks really broke up the rhythm of the game, more than anything. The Bailey incident was also a tricky one. I think Nicky was looking for the pen... but then he was tackled off the ball. Is that a yellow card offence? I'd have given the ref a 5 at best, although I've seen worse, for sure.

blah blah blah....

Without repeating your whole post and taking up valuable space I think you are spot on with it Matt.

I'd also stick with Hooper - I really do think the lad will come good. It's taken ages for Tilly to really give him a chance and I think he and Clarke will form a more free scoring partnership in time (assuming we sign Mr C. up permanently). I know some have pointed out the little flicks etc. that still aren't quite working, but I think we have a better chance of opening up defenses with this kind of skillfull, inteligent play rather than the "lump it up to Harold and hope it sticks" long ball game we were playing. I thoroughly enjoyed the game on Saturday, just a shame about the result.

I'd also stick with Hooper - I really do think the lad will come good. It's taken ages for Tilly to really give him a chance

To be fair he's had plenty of chances and it's taken ages for him to take it. He was first choice at the start of the season.

I completely agree with Yorkshire Blue. I think there was one freekick in the first 15 minutes of a game between two decent, fair, attacking teams then somehow the referee completely lost the plot. It should have been the easiest afternoon that he would have all season, as it is he decided to make himself the star by continually blowing his whistle and stopping the game from flowing at all. We didn't lose because of him, but he certainly helped to put a stop to the flowing football that we were trying to play.

The ref was superb for the first 20 minutes or so, agreed. But I noticed in the paper yesterday that there were, I think, 8 bookings in the game come the 95th minute. The only bookings I really saw were for their goalkeeper wasting time, Hunt's clumsy trip and the guy who kicked Bailey in the head (but I think got away with it) for high feet

How it got to that stage I have no idea. Thats the sign of a ref who's having an off day, I'd wager

The ref was superb for the first 20 minutes or so, agreed. But I noticed in the paper yesterday that there were, I think, 8 bookings in the game come the 95th minute. The only bookings I really saw were for their goalkeeper wasting time, Hunt's clumsy trip and the guy who kicked Bailey in the head (but I think got away with it) for high feet

How it got to that stage I have no idea. Thats the sign of a ref who's having an off day, I'd wager

McDonalds clumsy scything challenge was a definite booking as well. Hammells was for taking the free kick early and according to the laws of the game is a booking (although pedantic). If Bailey dived (which he seems to have done according to people a lot closer to the incident than I) then that was also a booking.

Thought the chap who was booked for a high challenge on Bailey was tad unfortunate, his foot was high but Bailey ducked in to challenge for the ball so it look a lot worse.

McDonalds clumsy scything challenge was a definite booking as well. Hammells was for taking the free kick early and according to the laws of the game is a booking (although pedantic). If Bailey dived (which he seems to have done according to people a lot closer to the incident than I) then that was also a booking.

From the view I had (and it was a pretty damn good one) the first kick to the head Bailey got was nasty. The second definitely clipped him too, and he hardly milked it. Got up again in about 10 seconds - it was only all of us lot shouting and the ref's performance during the last 10 that made the situation seem as big as it did.

McDonald was a good call though. I imagine that was the frustration of getting a run out, only to **** up the first glimmer of a chance that you had

To be fair he's had plenty of chances and it's taken ages for him to take it. He was first choice at the start of the season.

Yes, but who was playing up along side him? That's why I pointed to the Hooper/Clarke partnership.

From the view I had (and it was a pretty damn good one) the first kick to the head Bailey got was nasty. The second definitely clipped him too, and he hardly milked it. Got up again in about 10 seconds - it was only all of us lot shouting and the ref's performance during the last 10 that made the situation seem as big as it did.

McDonald was a good call though. I imagine that was the frustration of getting a run out, only to **** up the first glimmer of a chance that you had

I may not have made myself clear here seant t... I was talking about when Bailey got booked for simulation in "diving" to try and win the penalty.

I think he also made the most of the other 2 challenges. He does seem to go down about once a game with a theatrical reaction and if you look at the other Southend players none of them are in any way concerned for his welfare. That says to me that he is known to ham it up a little.

Now if Barrett or Clarke went down like that, there would be uproar from their team mates.

Yes, but who was playing up along side him? That's why I pointed to the Hooper/Clarke partnership.

Which I agree does look to be a decent partnership. But if Hooper was THAT good then would he not look semi decent alongside whoever he partners? After all, Leon Clarke does.

I may not have made myself clear here seant t... I was talking about when Bailey got booked for simulation in "diving" to try and win the penalty.

I think he also made the most of the other 2 challenges. He does seem to go down about once a game with a theatrical reaction and if you look at the other Southend players none of them are in any way concerned for his welfare. That says to me that he is known to ham it up a little.

Now if Barrett or Clarke went down like that, there would be uproar from their team mates.

Ah, got ya.

Well its not a side to his game that I've noticed before I have to say, but I'll monitor the situation closely. Having said that, a little bit of me - much as I never ever ever thought I'd say it - thinks good on him. Too many times in recent seasons we've been undone by being too honest, when our opponents are rolling around on the floor play acting or getting our players booked for arguing. Whilst we play good, passing football and try to do things the right way, 2/3's of the teams in this league won't do. Carlisle weren't a bad side, but we lost to them because they wore us down, used their lightning fast left winger effectively to break and effectively made the second half a non event

Final thought... FWIW, Hooly, I though your comments were bang out of order. Just because fbm thought the ref was OK (and perhaps few of us will agree with him), that's no reason to dish out personal abuse. Alan Green, FFS! That's really uncalled for. Besides, I haven't seen too many other hands being put up to volunteer to write the match reports...

Hey, all about opinions, sorry if mine doesn't agree with yours regarding the reports & I can't see it's abusing someone by referring to them in the same sentence as Alan Green. Anyone who annoys Lord Fergie that much must be doing something right. If you agree about that ref then you're not the footy leg-end I thought.

I'm afraid there's too much wiggy generated Collis bashing etc these days for me to read the same thing every week so I've got to be selective as there are only so many SZ hours in the day. At least my views have always been genuinely mine rather than just rubbish to get a reaction. You know I was one who thought FM(I'm only here because Arsenal's too pricey)13 was rather tiresome & worked on the theory that if you spouted **** long enough something would be right. Others thought he was the new messiah.

As it happens a couple of years ago or more, when you rotated the match reports, I did do one or two & would've been happy to have contributed every now & again. Even typed one up on the laptop on the way home from away game so it'd be ready early on Sunday. Well my car is an automatic! :D What happened. Naff all. Emailed them to all the wizard types involved at the time but after while it transpired that no one could work out how to get anything on the front page, and they weren't posted as topics then, so it was a waste of time. As it happened I was someone who'd have helped out, then.

So :fart: to you!

Hey, all about opinions, sorry if mine doesn't agree with yours regarding the reports & I can't see it's abusing someone by referring to them in the same sentence as Alan Green. Anyone who annoys Lord Fergie that much must be doing something right. If you agree about that ref then you're not the footy leg-end I thought.

I'm afraid there's too much wiggy generated Collis bashing etc these days for me to read the same thing every week so I've got to be selective as there are only so many SZ hours in the day. At least my views have always been genuinely mine rather than just rubbish to get a reaction. You know I was one who thought FM(I'm only here because Arsenal's too pricey)13 was rather tiresome & worked on the theory that if you spouted **** long enough something would be right. Others thought he was the new messiah.

As it happens a couple of years ago or more, when you rotated the match reports, I did do one or two & would've been happy to have contributed every now & again. Even typed one up on the laptop on the way home from away game so it'd be ready early on Sunday. Well my car is an automatic! :D What happened. Naff all. Emailed them to all the wizard types involved at the time but after while it transpired that no one could work out how to get anything on the front page, and they weren't posted as topics then, so it was a waste of time. As it happened I was someone who'd have helped out, then.

So :fart: to you!

I don't think MtS was agreeing with me - he said "few of us" rather than "a few of us".

Further, I would mention that my views are also genuinely mine... which is the point I'm making. I don't have any view of the game tainted by what others think or say. By the time you first posted on this thread all and sundry had slagged the ref off and if I had read all those posts before writing my report, I may well have come around to a similar viewpoint. But then it wouldn't be the fbm view, would it? It would be "The fbm (having read several other viewpoints first) view".

And yes, Hooly, it is all about opinions. And if you ignore people, you don't get theirs. I frankly don't care whether you agree with my reports or not but if you expect people to respect your opinion then surely you should respect theirs. I'm hardly the most controversial poster on here, after all.

Actually, I wasn't offended by the Alan Green comparison. I'm quite flattered that you should put me in the same bracket as a bastion of BBC Radio broadcasting. What got me was the irony of being accused of having delusions of grandeur by someone who is prepared to completely ignore everything I ever post simply because I didn't think the ref was quite as dodgy as everyone else did. Who the hell are you? SZ watchdog?

He does seem to go down about once a game with a theatrical reaction and if you look at the other Southend players none of them are in any way concerned for his welfare. That says to me that he is known to ham it up a little.

:) Very true, when Bailey got his first kick in the head (which was nasty) Macca tried to take a quick free kick, with his midfield partner writhing in pain about 2 yards away!

Why has Peter Clarke got all the great ratings in this game? If anyone was at fault for Carlisle's goal it was Clarke. He just watched Graham have a free header and knock it back into the path of the scorer. He also made the mistake that gave Carlisle their open goal "taxi" moment.

Yes he has been playing well recently, but he is still prone to the not so occasional **** up.

I can't see it's abusing someone by referring to them in the same sentence as Alan Green. If you agree about that ref then you're not the footy leg-end I thought.
Oh, come on. The Alan Green comparison was clearly not meant as a compliment - you don't get away with it that easily. Besides, anyone who has had the misfortune of hearing his grating Ulster whine on 5Live knows the man is a complete pillock.

As for the ref, I certainly wouldn't give him a 7. I gave him a 5 this morning, but on reflection I'll give him a 4. You don't see the best refs - the game flows and the ref helps it to do so. Sadly, that was not the case on Saturday - he was fussy and attention seeking, and that always p*sses me off.

As it happens a couple of years ago or more, when you rotated the match reports, I did do one or two & would've been happy to have contributed every now & again...after a while it transpired that no one could work out how to get anything on the front page, and they weren't posted as topics then, so it was a waste of time. As it happened I was someone who'd have helped out, then.

I don't think I was involved then. If I was, then I can only apologise. We're always looking for people to write match reports, especially after away games.

Still doesn't excuse you for what I thought was over the top abuse of someone who, at the end of the day, is only posting his view of the match. By all means tell him you disagree with him; I just don't think it's fair to accuse him of being puffed-up and self-important, which are the last two things that come to mind when one thinks of fbm...

:thump:

Back