• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Just got back as well. Got stuck up the alley by the station with all the Millwall.Old bill would not let us through. And had to watch as the Train left with all the Blues Fans on. Me and my boys had our coats zipped up to our noses so we didnt show scarfs/colours. Pretty intimidating really. Might have been under pressure if we didnt lose !

I dont remember seeing it mentioned that neither Revell nor MacDonald had 1 shot on goal in the entire game. As a team I cant remember us stringing 3 passes together and when Moussa comes on with 10 to go you really know Tilly has thrown in the towel.
No substitute forward on the bench and same old Southend, get in their faces early, look really effective, score a goal, sit back !
Clueless and inept and again when under the cosh, Tilly and Brush have no 'B' plan.
Is Revell that much better than Harrold because on effort alone, you cant really fault Harrold and Revell appears to offer nothing more.
And Tilson's stubbornness in excluding Maher, love him or hate him, is costing us big time. McCormack and Bailey IMO is simply NOT and ideal pairing and Tilly's stubborness has now probably just cost us the chance of achieving the playoffs.
The support, however, was fantastic, its just a shame that the club dont seem to appreciate it.

No consistency in performances that is the problem. The likes of Black, Francis, Macdonald, McCormack and Gower can have very good games then an absolute stinker. Mulgrew looks a terrible defender and Revell is just what we already had in Matt Harrold.
To be honest with Tillys recent buying record I wouldnt trust him to be able to find a decent centre back.

We had a lucky escape there then.
Another potential loan signing from what my Ipswich mates tell me.

No doubt he's got a bit of quality about him. Had a good opening to the game and could easily play well in this division once he can last the pace (blowing out of his **** after the first 20 at the moment).

I wonder what's gone wrong with Roberts, then? I remember Ipswich fans raving about him last season and I believe we were very close to signing him ourselves from Accrington before the Tractor Boys nipped in late on.

My ratings

Flahavan - 2 did he make a save? Every shot on target appears to be going in at the moment. Yet again at fault at a free-kick, yet again allowed a header from inside the 6 yard box from a corner. He has to dominate his 6 yard box and either come for crosses or make damn sure one of his defenders goes for it. His kicking is atrocious. There is no point in us spending £150,000 on a targetman if our keeper can't kick the ball within 20 yards of him.

Francis 6 - I think it was less a case of him impressing than of others sinking lower
Mulgrew 5.5 - disappointing, especially after all that promise he displayed on debut. He is looking like Francis Mark II.
Barrett 5 - not getting the job done
Clarke 5.5 - still fouls too much, still doesn't dominate in the air. Afer 18 months+ I can't see envisage a solid back 4 containing him in it.
Bailey 7 - the pick of a bad bunch, but we didn't really control midfield. He is the difference between us still flirting with the play-offs and a full blown relegation battle - and that is without taking into count his 9 goals.
McCormack 5.5 - ran about but looked lost. We should have dominated their midfield, but his passing was atrocious.
Gower 6 - unmemorable display
Black 5.5 - flatters to deceive
MacDonald 6 - difficult to give a mark to, as he hardly saw the ball
Revell 6 - might have had the beating of his man in the air, but as we struggled to get balls within 20 yards of him, we rarely got the chance to see. no striker could have impressed on that service.

Referee 1 - could the FA/Football League at least give us a referee with some balls, who won't be intimidated by a club's reputation. The ref was bricking it throughout and only gave us about 3 free-kicks all game. There is no way he'd have sent off a Millwall player for committing a "foul" like Scannell's.

I know its Millwall, but their fans were hardly intimidating, and wouldn't have hung around after the game as they have got school today. If the ref can't cope performing in front of a crowd that size he shouldn't be on the list. Relegate him to the conference, although I hear Torquay's Junior Gulls can be a bit intimidating.

Flahavan - 4. no organisation of the wall and abysmal positioning for the second goal for the free kick

My ratings

Flahavan - 2 ....Yet again at fault at a free-kick....

Sorry, but I can't have that. The wall was positioned fine but they jumped over the ball. What on Earth is any keeper supposed to do about that? By the time the ball was past the wall it would have been no more than ten yards from goal and heading at speed for the bottom corner.

There's enough reasons to criticise Flahavan at the moment (as there are with many of our team) without having a go at things that he could do nothing about. All you're doing is showing how hopelessly biased you both are againt him.

Sorry, but I can't have that. The wall was positioned fine but they jumped over the ball. What on Earth is any keeper supposed to do about that? By the time the ball was past the wall it would have been no more than ten yards from goal and heading at speed for the bottom corner.

There's enough reasons to criticise Flahavan at the moment (as there are with many of our team) without having a go at things that he could do nothing about. All you're doing is showing how hopelessly biased you both are againt him.

Defend his flap at the 1st goal then?

An utter joke if you ask me (this is coming from somebody who wasn't convinced by Flavs at all but was gradually won around by his general form over the past 2-3 years)!

Disagree, Beefy. While I'm not league standard, I've kept goal enough - and seen enough goal-keeping in my time - to take a view that his own positioning was completely wrong for the goal, although perhaps that was as a result of his height. He was too far over to the right-hand post, because he was having to cover the unlikelier - but possible - shot to the far corner.

Yes, the wall shouldn't have jumped, and the defenders are badly at fault for that. But lower league footballers are dumb-asses, and frequently jump. Flavs knows that - I've seen Southend walls jump before at free-kicks. But, because of his stature, Flavs was too far over to the right, and so wasn't able to get across to save the ball under the wall.

I also think he made a howler for the first corner, was frequently rooted to his line, and made only one decent punch and one decent stop.

It was a 4 out of 10 performance, IMHO. He was really poor, as poor as I've seen him play since a horror-show against Boston a few years back.

:(

Matt

I think you're being very harsh on Flavs here, like Beefy said, what's a keeper supposed to do if the wall decides to jump and the ball goes underneath them? I think I said in my original post on here, I thought he punched the ball away for the 1st goal and it ricocheted in off TB, so not so much poor goalkeeping but desperate luck...again.

I think you're being very harsh on Flavs here, like Beefy said, what's a keeper supposed to do if the wall decides to jump and the ball goes underneath them? I think I said in my original post on here, I thought he punched the ball away for the 1st goal and it ricocheted in off TB, so not so much poor goalkeeping but desperate luck...again.

I do agree with you OBL, but isn't it funny that good players seem to be lucky as well?

I do agree with you OBL, but isn't it funny that good players seem to be lucky as well?

I see your point, but luck tends to go with the team in form and however we've done in the last few games, that's not really been us this season has it? I had doubts last night the minute I heard Barnard wasn't playing, despite having been quite hopeful beforehand.

My ratings

Flahavan - 2 did he make a save? Every shot on target appears to be going in at the moment. Yet again at fault at a free-kick, yet again allowed a header from inside the 6 yard box from a corner. He has to dominate his 6 yard box and either come for crosses or make damn sure one of his defenders goes for it. His kicking is atrocious. There is no point in us spending £150,000 on a targetman if our keeper can't kick the ball within 20 yards of him..

I love Darryl still.... 10 out of 10 from me

Back