• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TrueBlue

SJP Taxi & Private Hire ⭐️
Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Swindon vs SUFC (weekend)

After the infamous trip to Cheltenham, the Showaddywaddy were back in business for the Easter Monday trip to Swindon. Having made the decision to have a night out on the Sunday (with the inclusion of the missus aswell) we left Southend on Sunday lunchtime preparing ourselves for a long, snowy trip on the M25 South Bound (and not through centre of London, please note Sam!) Instead we were pleasantly surprised as the snow seemingly stopped at Basildon and the trip was quick and pleasant whilst briefly stopping for our ONLY fuel stop of the trip (again please note Sam lol) and a quick visit to MacDonalds. We entered the outskirts of Swindon at 3pm whilst finding out about Chloe having (supposedly) arthritis and various versions of ’KFC’, ’Colonel’ and ’chicken’ songs being belted out by Scott and Girth as we arrived at our Travel lodge.

The ’Samobile’ finally arrived shortly and whilst leaving the missus in my room (her choice I might add) we made haste for the Weatherspoons in Swindon Town centre for a few liveners! After a few pints, food and a quick change of clothes we headed back (with Chloe in toe) to the Weatherspoons to meet up and start the evening’s festivities. Highlight of the night was undoubtedly the second bar we went to (the name escapes me) which at the back had a Buckaroo Bull machine that everyone could go on, free of charge too! After Jiggens and Simon being constantly flung off the Bull, and meeting up with the others, we went to Reflex (was empty) and then Walkabout (highly recommendable) before half of us left at 1am for a dirty burger/kebab and the cold, short walk home! The walk was hilariously funny as half naked Si and ’half an eyebrow missing’ Bonesy chucked filth at each other, whilst the girls were struggling behind in their heels… the whole night was thoroughly enjoyable!

Morning came and it was time to turn our attention on the game, after a Traditional Breakfast and leaving Chloe to turn Swindon Shopping upside down we walked to the Ground. We were directed to the nearest away supporter ’friendly’ pub for a few games of pool then it was time for the match!

Personally the first half went well, I thought the performance was pretty good on a terribly cut-up pitch and we created plenty of opportunities where we could’ve had a shot but mysteriously didn’t. The Blues were carrying on their ’walk the ball into the net’ method, however the half was encouraging and the Blues had a 1 nil lead after Francis managed to have a wee dribble and then loop the ball with left footed strike. How the ball ended up going in, I will never know, and I can’t wait to see the goal on TV, however they all count, and the Blues were well worth their lead.

Second half wasn’t as comfortable although having the majority of possession, we still failed to make a clean chance, in fact I can’t remember the Swindon keeper getting his knees dirty through out the entire match. The back four looked comfortable apart from a couple of chances that went Billy Paynter’s way, fortunately his goal scoring skills have not improved since he left us as he blazed the Robins best chance over the bar! Again Bailey was outstanding with Francis and Macca carrying on their good form from Good Friday. Black and Gower however were awful, whether they struggled with the condition of the pitch I don’t know. I would say not as Swindon’s speedy left winger didn’t seem to have too many problems. I think the time for Gower is up, on his day he his our most creative player, however his form has being getting from bad to dire recently, and with other players waiting in the wings, its time for a change and see if Gower can fight his way back in the team. However after a last minute scare when the ball went inches past Flanhaven’s goal, the final whistle signalled another valuable 3 points!

With everyone thoroughly satisfied with the weekend’s activities, the journey home was sluggish but uncomplicated. A brief stop at South Mimms services for some Colonel’s chicken, where Girth and Jiggens won the Rainbow Riches jackpot of £500 (should help pay the petrol eh Sam! lol) me and the missus were back in Rayleigh by 9pm.

Overall the trip was enjoyable, cheap, and hilarious at times with the knowledge that the Blues had taken another giant step to a place in the playoffs!

E I E I E I O… Up the Football League we go!

a very good account of the weekend craig...
although you havent mentioned about scott's slap round the chops off some tart who refused a steak meal !

and what was that smell in walkabout all night, had someone died?!

A good read, the bloomin' coaches weren't stopping either way so we had to either not drink or cross our legs!

BTW, anyone else think the stewards at Swindon were pretty good? I found all the ones we came across helpful and polite, they were also waving us out of the ground (probably muttering profanities under the breath though!). There's a post on 606 from Laindon Shrimper saying they were very helpful to him and his disabled son. I just thought it was worth a mention when we so often moan about the stewards, especially ours in the West stand.

A good read, the bloomin' coaches weren't stopping either way so we had to either not drink or cross our legs!

BTW, anyone else think the stewards at Swindon were pretty good? I found all the ones we came across helpful and polite, they were also waving us out of the ground (probably muttering profanities under the breath though!). There's a post on 606 from Laindon Shrimper saying they were very helpful to him and his disabled son. I just thought it was worth a mention when we so often moan about the stewards, especially ours in the West stand.

Yep and they were happy for us at the back who wanted to stand. no hassle no problems great day! :)

true, it's how away fans should be treated, allowed to stand if they're not obstructing anyone

although you havent mentioned about scott's slap round the chops off some tart who refused a steak meal !

i think it was Scott's dog farts but wasn't quite sure, it might have been Chloe instead! :unsure: i was going to add in Scotts terrible snoring but you seem to take the brunt of that as i didn't hear it!

but it was an epic night out! :clap:

Girth are you the luckiest person in the world?! Last time was boxing day when you won £400!!!

Back