• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Will Tilson Quit?

IloveShrimp

Director⭐
I dunno but I've got this feeling that Tilly might call it a day and move on to pastures new having acheived all he can at the Shrimpers.

How many times can a manager be expected to constantly have to rebuild a team from one season to the next?

I think he has done wonders with the resources he has had (though I don't always like what he does) but having to constantly sign loan or low budget players who then leave must be soul destroying for him.

It must be like building a house of cards only for the wind to blow them all down time after time.

For me its now 'put up or shut up' time for Ron Martin. With the new stadium plans granted, and the shares for players issue now done, any excuses he had for not funding summer signings have gone.

Imo if the funding does not come then Tilly will be off... and I wouldn't blame him.

I can't see Tilly leaving, where would he head for a start?

RM has promised funds again in the Summer for Tilly, and I expect its gonna be quite a busy summer. Will be interested to see the players he releases, as well as signs...

I dunno but I've got this feeling that Tilly might call it a day and move on to pastures new having acheived all he can at the Shrimpers.

How many times can a manager be expected to constantly have to rebuild a team from one season to the next?

I think he has done wonders with the resources he has had (though I don't always like what he does) but having to constantly sign loan or low budget players who then leave must be soul destroying for him.

It must be like building a house of cards only for the wind to blow them all down time after time.

For me its now 'put up or shut up' time for Ron Martin. With the new stadium plans granted, and the shares for players issue now done, any excuses he had for not funding summer signings have gone.

Imo if the funding does not come then Tilly will be off... and I wouldn't blame him.

behave! its a managers job to build a team over the summer period whatever club it is... and funding is there but it just has its limits.... cant expect a club our size to build a new stadium and fund thousands and thousands of pounds into the team!

To be fair to Ron, he's given Tilly "some" reasonable amounts of money & even published the values earlier on in the season. £1.2m in 18 months was the figure back in Dec 2007, since when we've spent more.

But is really £75k on each of Harrold & Ricketts, £150k on both Foran & packet of Revells & £200k on Paynter i.e. about £650k the best use on strikers you've ever seen. Can't really blame Ron for those misfits! :nope:

I had this conversation with swiss tony on friday night, i've got a suspicion he might go. They'll be a few jobs up for grabs this summer i reckon. I hope i'm wrong, because Brush would surely take over and i don't fancy that.

I had this conversation with swiss tony on friday night, i've got a suspicion he might go. They'll be a few jobs up for grabs this summer i reckon. I hope i'm wrong, because Brush would surely take over and i don't fancy that.

if Tilson ever did leave (and really really dont think he will over the summer anyway) but if he did.. then he would deffo take Brush with him.. they work best as a managment team and i dont reckon tilson wouldve as successful as he has without brush!

I guess Friday was extremely soul distroying for him and some self doubt may have popped up in his mind but a good holiday and a re-charge of the batteries and I am sure Tilly will be thinking about next season. When we won the league two years it was a marvellous achievement but the success papered over the cracks but over the next two years things have improved, I do believe the squad is stronger but short in some areas. This years League One had a lot stronger teams in it than 2005-2006 its a fact I am sure the management will accept.

Friday was a case of we were poor and Doncaster were very good on the day, it happens in football sometimes, we did it to QPR last year in front of the camera's.

I hope Tilly stays, it shows stability pays off in the end, we have some good young players to come through and other young players that will improve. I think the team looked a bit tired in the end, maybe the unbeaten run took too much out of them I dont know but the support on friday showed management the fans care

I can't see him leaving. He said in a TV interview before the first Donny game that promotion this year wasn't the be all & end all, and next year was really the year the club were expecting to be right up at the top again. Maybe if next season turns out to be a dissapointement he'll think about it but even then, with the new stadium getting ever closer & the funds that will help generate, would he really want to leave the club where he must have one of the safest jobs in one of the most unsecure professions?

Rome wasn't built in a day & Ron, along with T&B are gradually building the club into one of Championship stature. There'll be a few setbacks along the way but overall the momentum is upwards & I don't think Tilly is stupid enough to walk away from it to some other club where he won't have the history, the built-in affection from the fans, or a genuine love for the club.

Back