• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Peter Clarke - returning to Blackpool?

I'm beginning to get a bit suspicious of all of these rumours now. I can't believe that Tilly and Ron would be letting all of these players go at this stage of the window when it is by now means certain that we have replacements ready to come in. I'm pretty sure that Clarkey is still under contract so there would be no reason for us to get rid of him yet without the necessary cover at centre back and Tilly is usually quite cautious in the transfer window. So no, I'm not going to get animated about this until or unless it is confirmed that he is leaving.

I hope he is not going anywhere other than back to Roots Hall for next season

I really hope its not Peter Clarkes last game, i think hes been one of the more consistant players this season and very reliable.

not too sure how much we should read into him crying at the end, he just got beaten 5-1 and he might think he owed the fans something after our support (read in the echo he coodnt believe the support we were giving the side).

I think the tears were because he felt the fans deserved better

i hope he dosent go

I'd keep Clarke over Barrett every single time.

Same here, for all of Barretts' commitment to the Club, I feel Clarke is the better centre half and it has shown this season I think.

They'll be nothing left of my SUFC Calendar for the rest of the year at this rate - it's currently looking like:

June - ripped out (Maher)
July - Charlie Mac
Aug - Macca
Sept - ripped out (Hammell)
Oct - Bailey
Nov- ripped out (Black)
Dec - Moussa

Can't they check with Tilly who's going and who's staying before they print it?

Lol, to be fair the club shop realised it was already out of date in the second week of Jan so cut the price to about £2 or £3 when I pickd one up.

Be gutted to see Peter go. Bloody good player and a really nice guy.

Copped a bit of flack here lately for giving that penalty away which is most unfair as he was one of our very best players last season.

One penalty given away does not make a bad player and one or two people here should not forget that.

A fantastic die-hard, never say die defender who as we all know is not the most technically gifted but then how many defenders are? There are far worse out there. But then again look at the goals we conceded this season - is a barret/clarke partnership the best for Southend? They are both commited to the club but sometimes we look too hard at the blood, sweat and tears they give week in, week out without really giving thought to if they are the best central partnership. IMO too many cheap goals have been given away at the back in the last two seasons and not blaming just these two but I feel a speedier, taller centre back to compliment EITHER barrett or clarke is essential. If you look at the more succesful teams over the years, they seem to haev success with a blood and guts defender who gives it his all alongside a tall, quicker defender who mops up. Maybe could be the reason for the signing of Liptak last season but I havent seen enough of him to comment.

Either way would love Clarke to stay along with Barrett. Strength in numbers! These two along with the signing of the forementioned and it bodes well for a good defence next season. Question is who would be the taller, pacer defender who we could afford and would want to come?

Cant make a comment on Clarke, as i dont see enough off him play. What i do know is that 140 goals conceded in last two seasons is not good enough. Idont for a minute put this soley down to Clarke,but somethink got to change at the back,we cant go on conceding like this and still expect to go up next season.

Him and Barrett are too similar, wouldnt be the worse thing if left
Spot on. We need one or the other, not both. It would be hard to decide between them, Clarkes distribution is poor and he concedes so many pointless fouls it is become annoying.

PC is also a regular at HK House. I'm also glad to see more people have converted to a preference for Clarke over Barrett. His distribution is poor but he's not helped by teammates not giving him short options. His primary role is a centre half and he passes that test with flying colours. Alongside a better CB than Barrett and a stronger keeper Clarke will only get better next season.

A fantastic and genuine reaction to last Friday's defeat. if only a few more had shown the same.

Him and Barrett are too similar, wouldnt be the worse thing if left, means we could get a taller and much faster CB. He's also one of the most technically ungifted players, no touch or distribution whatsoever, a typical english centre half.

Have to agree. The perfect example was in the playoffs. Sadly neither Clarke or Barrett could cope with Price in the air. We need a Prior/Sodje mould player who wins most ariel battles

Back