• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Average age of next season's team - and realistic expectations

CC51DAS

President
I have a feeling that we will be going into next year with a very young squad and Tilly will be gradually blooding a number of Ricky Duncan's excellent youth's into the first team .

Johnny Herd , Peggy Lokando , James Lindie and Rhys Henry are just 4 out of probably 8 or 9 who deserve to get a chance soon . And Moooose will surely be almost a regular with either Bailey or MacCormack suspended from week to week .

A young goalie , maybe signing the young centre half we were after a year ago - the squad of the future could start to take shape .

Given the club's limited resources for at least a couple more years and the investment made at youth level , we need to be building for the future .

I for one would rather see next season as one of consolidation with an eye on a big push for promotion the following season (with the chance of sustaining our position if we get it ), rather than sign a load of 'experienced ' guys with dodgy knees and little ambition, in the hope we go up next time round

I'd be absolutely amazed if 8 or 9 of our youth squad deserved a first team opportunity next season.

Lindie and Henry are miles off IMHO, Lokando would be lucky to get a sub appearance in the LDV although Moussa might make 20 appearances.

If these players aren't dominating in the reserves they aren't ready for 3rd division football.

if the team is going to be made up of the juniors, w would be lucky to finish in the top half...and would be viewed as a step backwards by many. It would even mean a loss of imputus in our long term aim of getting back to CCC, and after this seaons performance, I'm not sure thats acceptable by the club and its supporters.
I can see where youre coming from, but realistically, I think its too much too soon.
Let them develop more this year, and rather than be thrust into first team action, take the chances when the opportunity arises.

I can't see us completely rely on our younger players yet. I know they are always being trumpeted as the next "big things" and they'll have to play first team football sometime if they are ever going to be able to fulfil their potential, but it's too big a risk to thrust them in immediately from the beginning of the season, especially when you consider that some of them haven't even come on as subs! In my opinion, we'd do well to get a few more experienced heads who'll provide good knowledge for the younger ones and allow us to blood them when they're ready.

Maybe I should just clarify that I didn't mean I would expect us to play all 8/9 at the same time .

Even the likes of Francis and Walker are very young still so we could be fielding a very young team if only 2/3 of the yooofs got on.

Most of the better youngsters played in the ESC matches against grown men and they did quite well.

I think the best of the bunch are Herd, Peggy, Forshaw and Henry. 2 of them have already been given professional contracts. I fully expect more professional contracts to be offered in the next 12 months.

Most of the better youngsters played in the ESC matches against grown men and they did quite well.

I think the best of the bunch are Herd, Peggy, Forshaw and Henry. 2 of them have already been given professional contracts. I fully expect more professional contracts to be offered in the next 12 months.

I think it's fairly accepted that they hope for good things with Herd, he seems to be the one pushing for the 1st team squad. Having seen the reserves on a number of occasions I'm not so sure about the others making the step up just yet. Forshaw looked good going forward and Henry can hit a ball but Peggy started off great then faded in the second half of the season. It may only be 3rd division football but the ESC and playing against the stiffs of other league teams is a world away in comparison. Pity we can't we find a youth player who is 6ft 3'' and knows where the net is.

No doubt the youth set up is going in the right direction but fully expect Tilly to use them sparingly and rely on signing some players with experience in the areas we need or have lost players i.e. another goalie, forwards and defence.

Most of the afore mention players failed to 'dominate" the Essex senior cup final last month so I really dont see any of them pushing on this season bar the Moose who i think will again play second fiddle to Macca/Bailey.

Is anyone not worried that by Tilly sticking Moose on the right wing against Donny that Tilly plans to make that a permanant thing next season. As its been said he will break through for good next year and central midfield is too competitive for him with bailey/maccer doing the job there.
I'd love to see Moose in the first team and see what he can do but judging on that performance against Donny on the wing i think it would be a wrong choice. Might not have any legs on it this theory but its just a thought i had.

The words "Consolidate and then push on" always make me laugh.

I would prefer these words to be switched around...push for promotion and then consolidate in the CCC. I think that our performance in recent seasons has now raised expectations, and that "consolidation" in League 1 is not an option in my opinion.

Will we be cheering our team on to consolidation next season...no, we will be trying to win as many games as possible and gain promotion.

Maybe I should just clarify that I didn't mean I would expect us to play all 8/9 at the same time .

Even the likes of Francis and Walker are very young still so we could be fielding a very young team if only 2/3 of the yooofs got on.

Its utterly unrealistic to expect 8 or 9 of our youth team products to get a game at any time (and not necessarily in the same team) next season.

In fact I'd go further and say its utterly unrealistic to expect 8 or 9 of our current youth team to play professional football, even if this is our best crop ever.

Realistic expectations for the youth team this season:

Moussa - 20 appearances
Lokando - sub appearance in the LDV
Herd - sub appearance in the LDV

I'd imagine Herd will play a little more then that due to our probable signing of just the 1 left back.

Back