• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We Miss Maher

The point being missed is that Maher was judged not good enough last season and then dropped.
Why a year later is he then deemed good enough again ? He is certainly better option in the short term than Moussa/Grant but Id rather we looked for a replacement than just go back to what was deemed inadequate previously.

We need to bring someone new in now and stop looking back. Maher was a good player for us but its time to move on.

I think you will find he was good enough, but Tilson made a big error of judgement of letting his heart rule his head when the shenanigans went on between Maher and Moussa...Maher should never have gone on loan. The only reason he did was because Tilson was NEVER going to play him, no matter how good he was!!

Dont get me wrong, I was a big Maher fan, however the fact we got two players in better than him showed what he didnt provide us regarding mobility.

However you dress it up he was 3rd choice last season and is now a year older.

We do need a central midfielder with experience and hopefully we will get someone in sooner rather than later, then hopefully this thread will be irrelevant.

The fact is Maher would be useful right now but it wouldnt be the right thing to do to keep him languishing in reserves until the rare occassions he is required. As Ive said Id rather we brought someone new in to move us forward.

Yes he did find himself 3rd choice, and even 4th choice at stages with Moussa prefered on the bench to King Kev.

I agree, with things how they are Macca injured, Bailey gone, Moussa likely to be suspended Maher would be ideal. But he deserves to be playing week in week out and that wouldn't happen over the course of the season.

I hope he does well at Oldham. He deserves it.

i think we will see this year that bailey and maher carried macca, now its a time to stand up a be counted.

Although I'd say "carry" is too strong, I do know what you mean. For me Macca has bundles of energy and will never give up a cause, but he is not as good a passer as Maher and has nowhere near the football brain of Bailey. Definitely better than our current options but I'm surprised so many see him as the answer when he returns from injury.

I think you will find he was good enough, but Tilson made a big error of judgement of letting his heart rule his head when the shenanigans went on between Maher and Moussa...Maher should never have gone on loan. The only reason he did was because Tilson was NEVER going to play him, no matter how good he was!!

Spot on!!...

You're sure of this are you ?

the thing is this Maher captained and played centre-mid in a team that was relegated from the CCC .

not a glory season for Maher as some-one suggested but a season that saw young mobile fast midfielders flooding past him - and us losing again and again -

Maher could only play one way - slowly - and from deep - he dominated our shape and our thinking -

painful but he had to go - well done for Tilson for getting rid of him in good time - he was becoming a ball and chain around our team...

he took us as far as he could go and now its time for another generation -

Moussa has vision and passing ability - he also does the miles and the competing for possession and the getting a foot in ..... the reason he is not a stand out player in the last three games is cos he and Granty have been busy holding the midfield and the defensive duties there are paramount - the back four have actually been better protected now than with Maher -

at age 19 and 21 Moussa and Grant are unproven but not only do I think they can play at this level i am sure they can play above this league - Maher couldn't.

I think Maher left the club for footballing reasons - otherwise any other problems would have been resolved.

I think winning league one was as far as Maher could go - and credit to him for lifting that trophy - we should have called it a day then

Let me ask you this. Who would you have rather of seen on the bench last year, Moussa or Maher?

In all honesty Moussa.

I was a fan of Maher but after his very impressive season in the championship imo he was very poor last season.

In all honesty Moussa.

I was a fan of Maher but after his very impressive season in the championship imo he was very poor last season.

Don't get me wrong I think Moussa will be good in time and so will Grant (I think he is an even better prospect than Moussa) but IMO even taking account his age, the last time I saw him, Maher was still better than both of them.

just watch when he comes back, maher was the holding midfielder and would cover all the space behind macca.
Bailey would do the same.

Maher and Macca never really played together in the middle last year, when Maher was still in the team it was him and Bailey in the middle and Macca out wide.

Don't get me wrong I think Moussa will be good in time and so will Grant (I think he is an even better prospect than Moussa) but IMO even taking account his age, the last time I saw him, Maher was still better than both of them.

if you think grant's going to be better than moussa then you've been drinking to much before the game. i will eat my pants at the end of the season in the spread eagle while chanting you are a better man kneeling at your feet, then watch the game with pencils up my nose and an old pair of pants on my head

if you think grant's going to be better than moussa then you've been drinking to much before the game. i will eat my pants at the end of the season in the spread eagle while chanting you are a better man kneeling at your feet, then watch the game with pencils up my nose and an old pair of pants on my head

Hey how come you have 2 pairs of pants? Show off!

So how can we judge this? How about we see who plays the most games / minutes this season (then we are trusting Tilly's judgement)!

Personally, I think Grant will become the better player. Moussa may be very good technically but (forgetting Friday) he's too anonymous in matches at the moment - I often forget he's even playing.

Grant covers far more ground and, though his radar was off on Friday, he is actually a very decent passer of the ball usually.

I hope Moussa proves me wrong but I'm not sure he'll play above League 1 level. Grant should develop into a decent Championship player.

Personally, I think Grant will become the better player. Moussa may be very good technically but (forgetting Friday) he's too anonymous in matches at the moment - I often forget he's even playing.

Grant covers far more ground and, though his radar was off on Friday, he is actually a very decent passer of the ball usually.

I hope Moussa proves me wrong but I'm not sure he'll play above League 1 level. Grant should develop into a decent Championship player.

Agreed, Grant is a quality player. He was definitely off on his passing game on Friday, he made a few bad one touch passes instead of putting his foot on the ball but IMO, he has a better touch and better positional sense than Moussa. That's why he was involved in more of the game.

Hey how come you have 2 pairs of pants? Show off!

So how can we judge this? How about we see who plays the most games / minutes this season (then we are trusting Tilly's judgement)!

you know when you have a feeling that you shouldn't have opened your mouth.
i have that feeling

Agreed, Grant is a quality player. He was definitely off on his passing game on Friday, he made a few bad one touch passes instead of putting his foot on the ball but IMO, he has a better touch and better positional sense than Moussa. That's why he was involved in more of the game.

sorry guys I have watched him playing and i cannot see him making it in this league, i hope i'm wrong as we signed him.

sorry guys I have watched him playing and i cannot see him making it in this league, i hope i'm wrong as we signed him.

I have to say the same about Moussa. Some people on here seem to rave over him, but can anyone tell me when he had a good game.

Back