• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Southend sign Adam Federici on 1 month loan

For a keeper though, both Joyce and Masters are quite young so maybe it's been with an eye to the future, and let's face it, we don't want a situation like a couple of years ago where we had to sign up Terry Alderton to be a reserve goalie for us!

........sorry but disagree, 23 is not too young for a keeper - agree that keepers mature with age, but as a back up keeper 23 should be plenty old enough IF you are good enough.

Didn't say TOO young, just quite young. Look at Dean Gerken, who was hailed as hero a couple of seasons back and yet now doesn't seem able to put a foot right, maybe if he'd had a slower route up the ladder he wouldn't be looking as much like a headless chicken as he does now. I'm firmly of the opinion Joyce was signed to see how he progresses in a year, before offering longer. Masters I couldn't work out at the time, and still can't really but T&B must have seen something to make them take him on.

Fingers crossed he proves to be a terrific loan signing because the guy is class and the talk of him maybe playing second fiddle to Joyce is embarrasing really. This guy is class.

Its an interesting situation for Tilly. Have to say, as previously mentioned above, I think it says something about Masters more than anything. Tilly was never going to bring in an average keeper to sit on the bench, neither would he have been able to sign anyone on loan just to sit on the bench. It's an unfortunate scenario for Joyce, having just got into the team, but unless we could've signed a freebie on a month to month to cover Mildenhall, this was always going to be the case.

Saying that, Masters has got to be pretty damn awful for Tilly to not warrant him worthy of a place on the bench!

Didn't say TOO young, just quite young.

Yes - apologies for misquoting you. However I stand by my comment in that I believe that Joyce was really bought to cover injuries - with Masters as the one with an eye for the future.

We get an injury and suddenly Joyce is not good enough!!

Presume that T+B have concluded this from seeing him day to day in training - something that I guess none of us have had the privilege in seeing. This SUGGESTS that their judgement was therefore poor in the first place by signing him.

If we only had Masters then I could understand the loan signing.

By the way, this is nothing against Federici who I understand to be a very good keeper - but frustrates the hell out of me that like Harrold and Foran we are paying wages to someone that for whatever reason (ie Foran) is not deemed suitable for first team selection.

Can we really afford to do that??

I will be giving Federici 100% support on friday as I am sure we all will.

We can't get rid of Foran!

Then either sack him for gross misconduct, negotiate to pay off his contract and let him find a new club or play him on the left instead of Walker - we are all grown ups and he is employed to do a job.

If it is all down to his previous (alleged) inappropriate behaviour then all those involved (though I believe those directly involved are no longer at the club) need to get over it.

Couldn't see this situation being allowed to continue happening in any other business whether it's a football club or not. If I was Foran then I think he has a case for constructive dismissal.

Tilly has explained the decision pretty well on the official website.

He doesn't think Joyce is up for 7-8 games this early on in the season. Had it been a couple, Joyce would have played. Don't forget 7-8 with an inexperienced goalkeeper in COULD be the difference between promotion and mid-table, nothing against Joyce mind. He looks to be an adequate understudy to Mildenhall.

Masters, I think, will head out on loan pretty shortly to aid his developement.

Good Loan For us.

Always liked Federici at reading for some reason , think it was during a FA cup game when Hameman was Injured he was quite impressive.

Joyce should be given a go ,

But if he stops are leaking goals then im 120% for it.

Good post, but how does an inexperienced keeper become experienced?

Reserve team matches and loan spells and other Clubs. Younger goalkeepers are more likely than experienced goalkeepers to make mistakes, so I rather he made mistakes at Daggers, Bournemouth, Wycombe rather than for us.

Now, with Joyce, that wont happen as his the number 2 goalkeeper, and Tilly said had this been later on in the season he would have got the nod. He will gain his experience through the reserves.

Reserve team matches and loan spells and other Clubs. Younger goalkeepers are more likely than experienced goalkeepers to make mistakes, so I rather he made mistakes at Daggers, Bournemouth, Wycombe rather than for us.quote]

Let's hope that's not what Reading are thinking given that they are the same age.

tbf to Tilly, he gave Joycey a go on Saturday and he conceded 3 goals. Joyce is deffo one for the future imo and he is not up to playing 7/8 games on the bounce atm

Reserve team matches and loan spells and other Clubs. Younger goalkeepers are more likely than experienced goalkeepers to make mistakes, so I rather he made mistakes at Daggers, Bournemouth, Wycombe rather than for us.quote]

Let's hope that's not what Reading are thinking given that they are the same age.

I think they are giving him the games he needs to progress, its been very difficult for him to get in ahead of MH at Reading, who is a proven goalkeeper, so a loan spell at a Club like us allows him to game some game time, and it also allows him to put himself in the shop window if he decides to move on.

tbf to Tilly, he gave Joycey a go on Saturday and he conceded 3 goals. Joyce is deffo one for the future imo and he is not up to playing 7/8 games on the bounce atm

However Joyce had no chance with them goals conceded, but did everything else well

Signing another keeper (we now have nearly as many as defenders) suggests that Mildenhall's injury is worse than initially expected.

However Joyce had no chance with them goals conceded, but did everything else well

I'm sure that is the case but goalkeeper is the one position where you can't be blooding people who aren't ready yet. It's true that Joyce won't get experience sitting on the bench and I'm sure that if this was the Southend United of six or seven years ago then he'd be getting a run of games in the side in Mildenhall's absence, but we're not that Southend United now. A lot of our fans will see anything less than the Playoffs as failure and Ron Martin has said that he expects promotion this season. Tilly doesn't have the luxury of giving Joyce time to find his feet.

FWIW, I firmly believe that Clark Masters was signed with a view to being number one here in the future, but that that future is probably four or five years down the line at least.

Yes - apologies for misquoting you. However I stand by my comment in that I believe that Joyce was really bought to cover injuries - with Masters as the one with an eye for the future.

We get an injury and suddenly Joyce is not good enough!!

Presume that T+B have concluded this from seeing him day to day in training - something that I guess none of us have had the privilege in seeing. This SUGGESTS that their judgement was therefore poor in the first place by signing him.

If we only had Masters then I could understand the loan signing.

By the way, this is nothing against Federici who I understand to be a very good keeper - but frustrates the hell out of me that like Harrold and Foran we are paying wages to someone that for whatever reason (ie Foran) is not deemed suitable for first team selection.

Can we really afford to do that??

I will be giving Federici 100% support on friday as I am sure we all will.
Is he playing then tilly?

Back