• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Southend sign Adam Federici on 1 month loan

Oh Boll***s - we need a centre HALF - put pressure on AB and PC.

Is Joyce that bad? If he is then why the hell did we sign him?

Another set of wages being spent to cover an inadequate player (not my words, but my interpretation of Tillys actions)

If I was Ron Martin I would be seriously jacked off - you entrust the manager to sign a back up keeper (not 1 but 2!!) who is good enough to cover when the first choice is out.

T&B must consider their own judgement to be poor judging by their actions!!

We need two keepers, not one.

Joyce was always signed as back up to Mildenhall and as he is now out for a month then we need a 2nd keeper.

Now wether that means Joyce reverts back to reserve keeper or not remains to be seen, either way we now have two keepers again.

If we hadnt signed one and Joyce had picked up a knock Im sure you would be questioning their judgement even more when we have to put Masters in goal.

Reserve team matches and loan spells and other Clubs. Younger goalkeepers are more likely than experienced goalkeepers to make mistakes, so I rather he made mistakes at Daggers, Bournemouth, Wycombe rather than for us.

The Prudhoe v Wyan Wobinson scenario

See Hereford have signed Bruno N'Gotty for a month, that is the sort of player we need. If we had Buffon in goal it wouldnt make much of a difference. Our defence is a shambles and it wouldnt surprise me if Orient knock another 4 goals past us.

See Hereford have signed Bruno N'Gotty for a month, that is the sort of player we need. If we had Buffon in goal it wouldnt make much of a difference. Our defence is a shambles and it wouldnt surprise me if Orient knock another 4 goals past us.

Thats a terrific loan signing, but I don't think even he can sort their problems out. They where woeful.

Is anyone else concerned by Tilly's Olympic goalkeeper obsession?

He only signed Joyce because he thought he was going to be in the US Olympics team. Now Mildenhall is only going to be available for Paralympic duty for the next month or two, and Joyce's boasts prove to be American overconfidence, he's gone and signed the Convicts' Olympic keeper on loan.

Last edited:
I'm sure that is the case but goalkeeper is the one position where you can't be blooding people who aren't ready yet. It's true that Joyce won't get experience sitting on the bench and I'm sure that if this was the Southend United of six or seven years ago then he'd be getting a run of games in the side in Mildenhall's absence, but we're not that Southend United now. A lot of our fans will see anything less than the Playoffs as failure and Ron Martin has said that he expects promotion this season. Tilly doesn't have the luxury of giving Joyce time to find his feet.

FWIW, I firmly believe that Clark Masters was signed with a view to being number one here in the future, but that that future is probably four or five years down the line at least.

I was just pointing out that Joyce wasnt at fault for the goals thats all on the bit that barrettisalegend said that joyce was given a go but conceded 3 goals

Tilly has explained the decision pretty well on the official website.

He doesn't think Joyce is up for 7-8 games this early on in the season. Had it been a couple, Joyce would have played. Don't forget 7-8 with an inexperienced goalkeeper in COULD be the difference between promotion and mid-table, nothing against Joyce mind. He looks to be an adequate understudy to Mildenhall.

Masters, I think, will head out on loan pretty shortly to aid his developement.

He should have said ' I've made another 2 major ricks in Masters and Joyce as they are both crap, Mildenhall is slightly better but not by much so yet again we have some personnel here that will be paid wages but are of next to no use to us'

He should have said ' I've made another 2 major ricks in Masters and Joyce as they are both crap, Mildenhall is slightly better but not by much so yet again we have some personnel here that will be paid wages but are of next to no use to us'

mildenhall isnt crap; joyce is young and inexperienced

Can anyone explain the point in signing Ian Joyce to me then?

However, this sounds like a very good signing, and one I am pleased to see. Good keeper

Federici is a good keeper espiecially for this level, i think i remember him taking the gloves against Man Utd once in a cup for Reading.

Most of the time i'd be over the moon with someone like him coming in from a higher level, but not now, we need defensive options, theres no need for AB and Clark to have to perform over the top because there's simply no one to come in and do a better job then them. Its ridiculouse...maybe we're all being over judgementle and defensive options are around the corner being sorted out now but i somehow doubt it.

May well be a decent keeper but this is hardly going to give Joyce confidence is it?

Why sign Masters as a 3rd choice then faced with the prospect of him actually sitting on the bench, admit he is not good enough back up to even be considered for a place in the squad? He played first team football for Brentford so is not totally inexperienced in league football. Just seems a waste to pay the bloke wages if they have no intention whatsoever of ever picking himeven as a sub.

Last edited:
To be fair, Tilly's seen Joyce in training for months and clearly doesn't think he's up to the job. I'm all for playing the best 11, if that means that's a little harsh, tough. This isn't an under-11's, with a "those who train play" mentality. I want to win.

Joyce was honestly better away at Crewe last time than Flahavan was even considering the two penalty saves, IMO.

He seemed to have a good all round goalkeeping game. Obviously he's far from the finished article, very far, but I would be amazed if he doesn't start the next game. If Tilly thinks that the goalkeeping was the problem last game then he needs to think at least twice and probably thrice.

No keeper could have done anything about two of their goals and little about the other.

I've not seen enough of Mildenhall to be honest but Joyce has only started one game and I was witness to that on Saturday. Are you honestly saying that you thought he had a bad game against Crewe?

May well be a decent keeper but this is hardly going to give Joyce confidence is it?

Why sign Masters as a 3rd choice then faced with the prospect of him actually sitting on the bench, admit he is not good enough back up to even be considered for a place in the squad? He played first team football for Brentford so is not totally inexperienced in league football. Just seems a waste to pay the bloke wages if they have no intention whatsoever of ever picking himeven as a sub.

I doubt Masters (or Joyce for that matter) are on much of a wage. Masters DID play first team football for Brentford but having spoken to Brentford fans about him it sounds like he was on the sort of level there as Ryan Robinson was here a few years back. He's clearly got talent, and was spoken of in extremely high regards at Brentford once, but isn't an option for the next few years.

Have asked for feedback from the Aussie's about him, first response -

'was our keeper during the olympics.

if it wasnt for him we'd have been totally ****ed.'

Will post more as I get them

Back