• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

blake

Youth Team
I don't know if anybody else has posted this from Phil Jupitus' column in today's The Game section of the Times:-

"Recently I met Brian Dear, a West Ham great who, in April 1965 scored 5 times in a 6-1 trouncing of West Bromwich Albion, a record for the quickest 5 goals that still stands today. Brian sits in front of me at home games and introduced himself with a smile and a handshake.

As he chatted` I became quite enchanted. I've spent years surrounded by ill-informed, loud mouthed, back-seat managers so a player's-eye view was incredibly refreshing. Brian had just retired as catering manager for Southend United, so at his invitation I found myself attending Friday's game against Leyton Orient.

I've not often partaken of the director's box experience. Some years ago, my Dad took me to a Rotary Club dinner where I felt grimly out of place. I'm a big fella, so in a suit I just look like security. I was once invited into the box at Upton Park and unbelievably found myself in the front row next to Terry Brown, the former chairman, so frantically texted all my mates. "Shove him off" came one blunt reply.

Southend was a very different experience, fantastic food, friendly directors and less suspicion about my presence. The game was a belter as well, the Shrimpers winning 3-0. Brian came up to me before the final whistle and said "Could you present the man-of-the-match award, mate?" I'm telling you now, its impossible to refuse a legend.

As a known West Ham fan, I was waiting for the catcalling to start. I felt like Luis Boa Morte, one of the few players I've seen booed on to the field. Walking out I could feel the springy turf beneath my feet and involuntarily squinted as I moved from the shadows into the bright sodium glare of the floodlights. They announced me and I waved toward the East Stand and there was a polite ripple of applause.

Man of the match was Lee Sawyer, the 18-year-old goalscorer who had become a father the day before so he was wonderfully spaced out. As we handed the champagne over he genuinely enquired:"Is that for me?"

Walking back to the car, Brian came across a ball of litter and hoofed it. It swerved through the air and sailed into a fenced enclosure 20 feet away and I smiled to myself. You can take the boy out of football..... "

He seemed to enjoy the Southend experience. Perhaps we can show him the error of his ways in his support for West Ham

I don't know if anybody else has posted this from Phil Jupitus' column in today's The Game section of the Times:-

"Recently I met Brian Dear, a West Ham great who, in April 1965 scored 5 times in a 6-1 trouncing of West Bromwich Albion, a record for the quickest 5 goals that still stands today. Brian sits in front of me at home games and introduced himself with a smile and a handshake.

As he chatted` I became quite enchanted. I've spent years surrounded by ill-informed, loud mouthed, back-seat managers so a player's-eye view was incredibly refreshing. Brian had just retired as catering manager for Southend United, so at his invitation I found myself attending Friday's game against Leyton Orient.

I've not often partaken of the director's box experience. Some years ago, my Dad took me to a Rotary Club dinner where I felt grimly out of place. I'm a big fella, so in a suit I just look like security. I was once invited into the box at Upton Park and unbelievably found myself in the front row next to Terry Brown, the former chairman, so frantically texted all my mates. "Shove him off" came one blunt reply.

Southend was a very different experience, fantastic food, friendly directors and less suspicion about my presence. The game was a belter as well, the Shrimpers winning 3-0. Brian came up to me before the final whistle and said "Could you present the man-of-the-match award, mate?" I'm telling you now, its impossible to refuse a legend.

As a known West Ham fan, I was waiting for the catcalling to start. I felt like Luis Boa Morte, one of the few players I've seen booed on to the field. Walking out I could feel the springy turf beneath my feet and involuntarily squinted as I moved from the shadows into the bright sodium glare of the floodlights. They announced me and I waved toward the East Stand and there was a polite ripple of applause.

Man of the match was Lee Sawyer, the 18-year-old goalscorer who had become a father the day before so he was wonderfully spaced out. As we handed the champagne over he genuinely enquired:"Is that for me?"

Walking back to the car, Brian came across a ball of litter and hoofed it. It swerved through the air and sailed into a fenced enclosure 20 feet away and I smiled to myself. You can take the boy out of football..... "

He seemed to enjoy the Southend experience. Perhaps we can show him the error of his ways in his support for West Ham

I believe that record actually stands to former Blues hero Billy Best.

In these credit crunch times he'd save money on travel expenses supporting Blues instead of Wet Shambles. I did meet him once at the Royal Hotel where he was dj'ing, being very drunk at the time I made a total tit of myself. True to form then.

In these credit crunch times he'd save money on travel expenses supporting Blues instead of Wet Shambles. I did meet him once at the Royal Hotel where he was dj'ing, being very drunk at the time I made a total tit of myself. True to form then.

You mean you were one of the 7 people there for that gig?

You mean you were one of the 7 people there for that gig?
Sounds about right. Was the headline band the the Nightingales or something? They were brilliant, the drunken belligerant frontman was a legend.

I bumped into Brian Dear last Thursday at a sportsmans dinner - on his day he's a decent bloke. It did sound like he didn't want to retire though.

A sour faced Jupitus was on the train home the other night. I see him around occasionally and he lives (lived, maybe - haven't seen him for a while) just around the corner from me.

Often seen wheeling his trolley around Waitrose too, looking thoroughly miserable. Maybe he's trying to deter any would be fans from approaching him.

He always looks much happier on the telly.

A sour faced Jupitus was on the train home the other night. I see him around occasionally and he lives (lived, maybe - haven't seen him for a while) just around the corner from me.

Often seen wheeling his trolley around Waitrose too, looking thoroughly miserable. Maybe he's trying to deter any would be fans from approaching him.

He always looks much happier on the telly.

I used to see him a lot in Waitrose also, no wonder he looked les miserables, you seen the prices.
I've personally been credit crunched into Asda's.

Me and my pals bundled him one saturday night outside Bakers Bar after he slipped over on a bench whilst singing the theme tune to Minder that we were tapping on our beer Bottles
With six lads elbow dropping him i thought he might get slightly pee'd off but credit to him he just wanted to hear me start another rendition of ' i should be so good to you'.

shame the bouncers in Bakers Bar weren't that Grateful for a great song as i think they wanted to kill me for starting that song inside bakers whilst they where trying to shut up .

God i was hardcore back in them days !!

Back