• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What would you do if you found over £250 on the pavement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you hand it into the police, they are supposed to keep it in a safe until someone comes to claim it. If no-one claims after a period of time, which I think is 8 weeks, it is returned to you. Assuming the police are straight, obviously, and haven't just 'claimed' it for their Christmas Ball, which is a secret, traditionally.

I think, overall, I'd be tempted to do that rather than spend it. Karma is an absolute bitch and it always catches up with you in the end.

Of course, you could try and find a Christmassy way of using it! Find an old lady who can't afford to switch the heating on. Or perhaps a family who won't have anything under their tree this year. Gather them together, pull the money out of your pocket and then set fire to it, in order to teach them the value of savings.

If you hand it into the police, they are supposed to keep it in a safe until someone comes to claim it. If no-one claims after a period of time, which I think is 8 weeks, it is returned to you. Assuming the police are straight, obviously, and haven't just 'claimed' it for their Christmas Ball, which is a secret, traditionally.

I think, overall, I'd be tempted to do that rather than spend it. Karma is an absolute bitch and it always catches up with you in the end.

Of course, you could try and find a Christmassy way of using it! Find an old lady who can't afford to switch the heating on. Or perhaps a family who won't have anything under their tree this year. Gather them together, pull the money out of your pocket and then set fire to it, in order to teach them the value of savings.

Yeah, when I thought it was around the £150 mark I was vaguely tempted to keep it. But now its this kind of sum, I'm going to have to hand it in as my conscience is far too big a burden to aggravate.

Interestingly, everyone at work said to keep it. Even the woman who's husband is a cop, claiming a few people he works with on the desk have just rung up their mate / partner to come in and collect it, then split it afterwards...

But still.

Hopefully, come June, I get a nice little windfall and paying £48 for a sodding ticket to see Blur leaping around in an over-maintained field won't seem such a hardship.

Take it in to a different police station then! I think it's the right thing to do under the circumstances.

No way do I want the address of the man who said:
"my bum is loose, anyone any good with a needle and thread?"
unfortunately these are not my own words, i was done by some funny so and so at work! that money could do alot for my damages sphincter though!

I found a large sum of money a few years ago. Handed it in to a police station and when the owner claimed it I was given a couple of hundred as a reward and thanks for being honest. I used a pound of it on a lotto ticket and got 4 numbers up....84 quid more and treated a mate to bingo where we won a grand.
Karma I reckon.
Hand it in. Could be dodgy money, some old dears savings or some kids christmas presents gone.

I think I would have to think what would happen if it was me who lost the money. Bu**er all. Anything I have ever lost I have never had it returned. Perhaps more of a reason to give it in I guess and I suppose that is prob what I would do. I believe in Karma big time and would like to think that if I did a good deed something good would happen to me in time. Saying that though my credit card could do with a nice deposit so not sure I would be able to afford to give it in! Tough call and prob couldn't decide unless I was in the actual situation.

I just did with my mate. We ran after a guy we thought had dropped it, but he said it wasn't his.

Hand it in? Keep it? Give it to charity?

The first thing I would do is eliminate my 'mate'.

Things like this are always better with no witnesses.

A couple of years ago leaving Inverewe Gardens, daughter spotted something lying in the gutter and when we reversed and looked it was a Kiwi tourists purse, around £150 cash, driving licence, cards.My daughter (12) straight away wanted to hand it in, so we handed it in to the police and told the shop in the gardens and sure enough a very distressed lady phoned the shop from Ullapool and was able to get the purse back and not have a ruined holiday. We got a postcard from her thanking Kim, and I was well chuffed that she had wanted to do the honest thing.

Last year driving home eagle-eye Kim spotted something on the road again, I reversed back and expensive bino's presumably been left on the top of a car and fallen off. Again handed it to the police but this time no one claimed them so she got them at the end (8 weeks IIRC).

As Firestorm says, treat people how you would want to be treated, not how you think they would treat you.

Keep it. If you are stupid enough to lose it, your loss!

Criminal Offence to keep it as advocated by many on here.

It's called: Theft

Shame we have so many less than honest members IMO

All those who sugested to keep it are also potentially
commiting an offence of a conspiracy to commit theft.

Just have a think about the victim. It could be someones
Christmas you are ruining by considering to keep.

If handed in and no-one claims within I think 6 months
[or thats what it used to be] then the finder becomes
entitled to keep it.

What if CCTV has picked up on the finder ?

Last edited:
Criminal Offence to keep it as advocated by many on here.

It's called: Theft

Shame we have so many less than honest members IMO

Just have a think about the victim. It could be someones
Christmas you are ruining by considering to keep.

If handed in and no-one claims within I think 6 months
[or thats what it used to be] then the finder becomes
entitled to keep it.

What if CCTV has picked up on the finder ?

So finding something on the floor is now theft...our criminal system is bizarre!!
You are only saying that cos it's me and you have a bee in your bonnet!

So finding something on the floor is now theft...our criminal system is bizarre!!
You are only saying that cos it's me and you have a bee in your bonnet!

Not at all I am trying to protect you and others from yourselves !!!

All those who sugested to keep it are also potentially
commiting an offence of a conspiracy to commit theft.

Mon Dieu I am not shallow and do not hold grudges. Life is too short.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back