• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Oh my God - yes it's (yet) another Steve Tilson thread... and I would like to say that in making this I am only too well aware that this is a public forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

But Christ there is a lot of tripe spouted on here.

OK, lets start just by recapping on two facts:

1) Steve Tilson and Paul Brush have been the most successful management team in SUFC history and have won more stuff in their short reign than everyone else put together
2) Under their leadership we have achieved our best ever result, won our highest ranking trophy, reached the quarter finals of a major domestic competition for the first time and played at the Milstad 3 times (would have been Wembley if it had been finished).

Now for something that can't be proved as a fact but wouldn't probably get much argument against; Steve Tilson and Paul Brush work much better as a team than they would do individually. That in my opinion is actually quite important.

It's important because if Ron Martin IS thinking of replacing them (which I am sure he isn't) then who to bring in is of paramount importance. Which managers are currently available? Any ex-Prem manager is a non starter so we won't even bother with the likes of Roy Keane. What about Paul Jewell, Aidy Boothroyd, Alan Pardew, Iain Dowie or Billy Davies? Any of those would be decent appointments but we stand as much chance of getting them as signing Steven Gerrard.

Colin Calderwood? Gary McAllister? If they can't do it at Forest and Leeds they aren't going to work at SUFC, are they?

Glen Roeder's time is surely numbered at Norwich but I think we would all shake our heads in horror if he was anywhere near the post.

So it's a lower league manager then. But hang on... who is one of the longest serving managers in leagues one and two, 8th longest serving in all leagues and certainly one of the most respected outside the CCC?

Oh... thats Steve Tilson.

After the 5 years we have had if we got rid of Tilly now we would be the laughing stock of football.

He has had to rebuild the side following last years departures. Our strange transfer system has meant he has had to rely on loans and has also had incredible trouble recruiting players to the club. Plymouth have the same trouble, you know. Their geography doesn't help but they are a much bigger club than we are and are in the CCC which you would think would count for something. But just read recent interviews by their manager Paul Sturrock and it's a familiar tale.

So we have no ideal replacement for the Tilly and Brush partnership. Not a good start, is it?

And what do we honestly think will happen if we do get rid? We'll probably have a honeymoon period of 3 or 4 games and then will find our level again. So do we change the manager again? And then again? Hang on, that's what Man City have done and their fans are crying out for stability. All teams go through good and bad patches and this is just one of the latter. We'll come out of it eventually. And if Tilly thinks he can't take the club any further, he'll be the first to say so. He needs to be given time for his new team to gel. Hopefully Harding, Christophe and Sawyer will become permanent fixtures soon which will help.

So, why was it we wanted shot of him again? Oh yes, because we have a run of a few bad results. That was it.

Trust me... he's going nowhere. Not if Ron's got anything to do with it. It's about time some fans realised what gems that Tilly and Brush are and how lucky we are to have them.

And to anyone who wants rid, I would just ask who they would bring in?

Great post

Excellent post by The Forgotten Man one of the best I have read this year!!

FBM your point has been well put and whilst I agree that Tilson and Brush have been the most successful Management team in SUFC history we have been on a downward spiral since we were promoted to the Championship. On current form we have a real chance of relegation.

I also agree that there is no chance of Tilson being replaced now and probably not until the end of the season. I however believe that if Tilson where to go - Boohroyd, Pardew and possibly Davies would be interested in the position - the longer you are ou of league Management the harder it is to get back. Another excllent appointment would be Ian Holloway.

It is also worth noting that there are numerous Managers that have had poor records when taking over clubs, an example is Phil Brown a Hull. When taking over the position many Hull supporters believed that the board where mad especially as his record at Derby was dire.

Why would they drop into league 1. They are being shortlisted for most jobs going and what with the transfer windows managers will be coming and going more often i think.

On the main forum select page this thread reads "Tilly and Brush - going......."

Oh no it must be a sign!!!

Back