• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stadium delayed "by 10 to 12 months" or possibly 10-12 years !!!

Pubey

Straight from the crazy-haired horses mouth

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/4069668.Credit_crunch_hitting_new_Blues_stadium/

Credit crunch hitting new Southend United stadium

Southend United’s new stadium will be delayed for a year because of the economic slump, Ron Martin has admitted.

Mr Martin said the team would not be playing in the new stadium for the 2010/11 season and there was likely to be a delay of between 10 and 12 months.

The Blues’ chairman claimed no bank in the UK was currently prepared to lend the money needed for the ambitious project.

He still hoped to be on site by the spring to start the preparation of the new training ground and also start digging the foundations of the stadium itself.

Mr Martin was critical of the Government for calling in the application for a public inquiry as this had led to a long delay.

He said: “If we had not been delayed, then we could have been on site 18 months ago and a major part of the work would have been carried out.

“Overall, the plans will move back something like 10 to 12 months from what we first hoped and that’s a direct result of the banks not being open for business.”

He praised both Southend Council and Sainsbury’s, which is planning to build a new store on the football club’s existing Roots Hall site, for their support.

The £80million stadium scheme, also includes, shops, flats and a hotel as well.

Last summer, as the credit crunch began to bite, Mr Martin visited America to look at possible ways of financing the stadium and held talks with US investment back Morgan Stanley.

Reaction in Southend to the delay was one of disappointment, but also the acceptance of the problems the football club was facing.

Lib Dem group leader on the council, Graham Longley, is a lifelong fan of Southend United.

He said: “Of course I’m disappointed, but it is better to say now there will be a delay rather than getting the thing half finished and then admitting there is no money to do any more.”

John Lamb, councillor responsible for regeneration, added: “I’m sorry, but I’m not at all surprised given the current economic situation.

“Whatever the Government tries to do does not seem to be achieving anything and it seems to be mortgaging the country’s future without tackling the issues.”

Blues fan, Mike Devenish, 55, from Hockley, said: “No one is going to be surprised the club can’t get any money to build the stadium. I shall be very surprised if any work is done at all on the site, even in a year.”

martins an ar$e and beleive me he's bleeding the club dry!
i cant beleive how many people here love the guy! its shocking! im now starting to realise just where all our money is...... and i swear he must be paying you guys to be his PR.

altogether now...........................

WERE SH%T and itsssssss MARTINS FAULT!

i cant beleive how many people here love the guy! its shocking! im now starting to realise just where all our money is...... and i swear he must be paying you guys to be his PR.

Please tell me you're joking???

A stadium that has been promised for years, that is going to constantly be delayed till who knows when

No funds being available for purchasing of new players despite the clubs healthy profits from sales and fixtures

A team that is in a rapid decline crashing towards league 2.

But hey, atleast martin walks around the pitch yelling ''we are the 12th man'' . Great chairman eh!

delia-smith.jpg

Where are you! where are you!

We wouldnt even win if we had 12 players!!!!

sort it out ron, and quickly!

Last edited:
A stadium that has been promised for years, that is going to constantly be delayed till who knows when

No funds being available for purchasing of new players despite the clubs healthy profits from sales and fixtures

A team that is in a rapid decline crashing towards league 2.

But hey, atleast martin walks around the pitch yelling ''we are the 12th man'' . Great chairman eh!

delia-smith.jpg

Where are you! where are you!

We wouldnt even win if we had 12 players!!!!

sort it out ron, and quickly!

Sorry, I must have missed that. Is this actually true?

No profit from the chelsea games?

No profit from the televised games?

No profit from the sale of JCR, Freddy and Bailey?

See you in 24 hours!

not endless streams of cash, not asking for millions. I know its a tight business football clubs and being only in league one makes it harder, but some reinvestment into the squad is desperately desperately needed, and hopefully we'll see some soon

doesnt mean they are going to be rectified does it? i could tell you we are going to win the league but its not going to happen is it

Yeah thats the same thing...

Idiot!!!

What exactly do you expect?! I am completely baffled by some people on here... although in fairness all this comments seem to be coming from new posters?! Perhaps they just popped up to get their Chelsea tickets?!? I wish they would crawl back to wherever they came from.

Are you Chris Phillips in disguise???

Ron is doing everything he can to ensure the funding for this stadium and I believe we will get there in the end. The banks are not lending... not much we can do! Had planning permission gone through earlier our loans would have been in place and construction would be well under way.

Both Tilly and ROn have come out this week stating they are making offers for new players so money is clearly being made available for signings! We want these to be the right signings...

Have some faith or go and support Col U

Still not quite clear from Ron's response if the stadium will be delayed. He only talks about one of 3 revenue streams. Might just have to wait until the blog next tuesday.

if Ron pulls it all off then fair play to him, but am i not allowed to feel sceptical?

Back