• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stadium delayed "by 10 to 12 months" or possibly 10-12 years !!!

Has the Zone been mentioned on a MENSA circular recently or something? There seems to have been a recent influx of intelligent and articulate members.

I wish people would realise that we're Southend, not Man City. An 80m project for a perennially lower league side is an immense undertaking and the board are quite right not to do it when then economy is circling the drain. Thank God we've got some sensible people running this football club.

Lets face it, The Echo is a steaming pile of horse poo and have the knives out for Ron and SUFC (god knows why) and try to put a negative spin on everything

Add to the fact they can't even report the facts straight (Rev broke his ankle according to them) makes my decision to cancel this useless rag all the more justified

lets face it though the echo has a far bigger audience than this website, i think some of you on here need to have a reality check. the evening echo is not some pr sheet from the club, its a local newspaper reporting on news, one of the big news items and seller is southend utd. god forbid we ever have to have a situation where the media is controlled by the club. unlike this forum

if Ron pulls it all off then fair play to him, but am i not allowed to feel sceptical?

Of course you are and you are not alone in your scepticism. However, for now, in the present climes its difficult not to give mr martin the benifit of doubt.

No profit from the chelsea games?

No profit from the televised games?

No profit from the sale of JCR, Freddy and Bailey?

For crying out loud, this is a business. I'm sure someone can clarify, but the majority of the money would probably have gone on servicing our debt?

He has a business to run. I'm sure when the right players come along, he'll be more than happy to release some funds. However in the current climate, I can totally understand Martin being financially prudent.

I'd rather we were a crap league two side, than one that didn't exist at all...

For crying out loud, this is a business. I'm sure someone can clarify, but the majority of the money would probably have gone on servicing our debt?

He has a business to run. I'm sure when the right players come along, he'll be more than happy to release some funds. However in the current climate, I can totally understand Martin being financially prudent.

I'd rather we were a crap league two side, than one that didn't exist at all...

Yeah i know all that, but on Football Manager on the PC ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

I admit i have questioned ron these last few weeks, but what he say does have business logic that most on here do not understand.

What he has said on the OS makes sense and the echo is a dramatic headline grabber to sell there paper.

I give Ron my trust to do what he says, there still are questions to answer, but hopefully Rons blog from Tuesday will satisfy most of these and we can get on with our job of supporting those 11 players who wear blue on saturday, every single one of them even if you think they are cack, save it for the pub, while in Roots hall, support them or **** off.

The main concern is those players not politics on saturday!!!

I admit i have questioned ron these last few weeks, but what he say does have business logic that most on here do not understand.

What he has said on the OS makes sense and the echo is a dramatic headline grabber to sell there paper.

I give Ron my trust to do what he says, there still are questions to answer, but hopefully Rons blog from Tuesday will satisfy most of these and we can get on with our job of supporting those 11 players who wear blue on saturday, every single one of them even if you think they are cack, save it for the pub, while in Roots hall, support them or **** off.

The main concern is those players not politics on saturday!!!

Well said !!

dear lord, something all of us knew for months. There is a recession on you know. It's a good job Ron did not start 2 years ago with the unsellable flats and shops nearing completion now. Then we'd be in the ****.
Some of the comments on here show what a shocking state our education system is in.

dear lord, something all of us knew for months. There is a recession on you know. It's a good job Ron did not start 2 years ago with the unsellable flats and shops nearing completion now. Then we'd be in the ****.
Some of the comments on here show what a shocking state our education system is in.

if it had started 2 years ago wouldnt SUFC have been playing in it now?

martins an ar$e and beleive me he's bleeding the club dry!
i cant beleive how many people here love the guy! its shocking! im now starting to realise just where all our money is...... and i swear he must be paying you guys to be his PR.

altogether now...........................

WERE SH%T and itsssssss MARTINS FAULT!
WERE SH%T and itsssssss MARTINS FAULT!

Go and ask Wrexham fans about having a chairman who is the bleeding the club dry!

I am all rather confused, i know Ron has come out and said not to believe the ECHO and that.... but we got given the green light to start building work a little while ago now... where is the building work?

If Ritchie Foran is picking up a wage for doing f*** all I cant see why Ron doesn't send him down to the site to start digging the bowl for the stadium. He might as well be put to some use- two birds with one stone, know what I mean. To be honest, Scannell, Adameno and Lokando might as well pick up a shovel too, seeing as they are not getting much of a look in.

Perhaps Ron is taking note of what the government DIDNT do. Stashing the cash when money coming into the club is good. The reason we are in a recession right now is due to the fact that when times were booming, the government kept on spending and didn't save for the hard times, which is why they now find themselves up the creak without a paddle.

Now we all know that in the last couple if years we have had a large amount of money coming into the club, more than we have known for a long time. I think it's very shrewd of Ron to put it into the bank and reduce our debt rather than go forking out on players for 6 figure sums which may turn out to be flops. Remember - splashing the cash on players doesn't guarantee you anything.

Of course it's frustrating that we waited so long as a club to get any kind of plans approved to then hit a hurdle, but we have to sit tight. It's no conincidence at all that the halting of the work is the same time as we are in a recession. What sort of twit would build a 50m + stadium for a L1 club in a recession?! I'm sorry but anyone who thinks that Ron is wrong for being hasty to begin building right now is nothing more than a complete pratt.

Last edited:
lets face it though the echo has a far bigger audience than this website, i think some of you on here need to have a reality check. the evening echo is not some pr sheet from the club, its a local newspaper reporting on news, one of the big news items and seller is southend utd. god forbid we ever have to have a situation where the media is controlled by the club. unlike this forum

Precisely. At last someone's hit the nail on the head.

Only Ron Martin, Tilly and SZ lovers are allowed to post without everyone trying to shoot them down in flames for having an opinion.

We have a chairman with an ego the size of an elephant who is not a football lover. Quite a good mix eh !!!

Sorry dd I critisize ??

Last edited:
If Ritchie Foran is picking up a wage for doing f*** all I cant see why Ron doesn't send him down to the site to start digging the bowl for the stadium. He might as well be put to some use- two birds with one stone, know what I mean. To be honest, Scannell, Adameno and Lokando might as well pick up a shovel too, seeing as they are not getting much of a look in.

I like your thinking! :clap:

Back