• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
Sorry about the late match report but I've been a bit busy these last 78 years:

SOUTHEND SUPPORTERS CLUB
In connection to the benefit of Jack French and Billy Moore a collection at the ground on Saturday realized over £13. Collecting cards and tickets for the Everton match are now available.
From the Southend Standard 2nd April 1931.

SUPPORTERS CLUB
The Dance at the Masonic Hall on Saturday proved very successful. There were about 250 present and many had to be turned away. Tickets for the Benefit match for Jack French and Billy Moore are now available at 1s 6d and 2s boys 6d.
From the Southend Standard 9th April 1931

Monday 27th April 1931
SOUTHEND UNITED 2-6 EVERTON
A benefit match for Jack French and Billy Moore

It was anticipated that under an arrangement made for the schools, many hundreds of schoolboys would be present, the match kicked off at 6.30 and a crowd of just over 8,000 were present. Everton were already Champions of the Second Division and rightful earned their place back in the premier football league, they were linked with Arsenal as being the two outstanding sides of the season. One of their attractions was their “crack” leader Dixie Dean but he had sustained an injury in Everton’s game against Southampton on the Saturday and was unable to play. Not one to let his public down he appeared as a linesman to the delight of the crowd. The understanding between the Everton defence meant that there was no need for hefty kicking they knew where their comrades were and found them with ease. Yet Southend scored in the opening moments when after the bar had been hit, Jimmy Shankly fired home, a goal which clearly shock Everton but not for long. They retaliated by hitting the post had a shot cleared off the line, while Southend went close with two difficult chances.. Inevitably Everton took over and four goals were put past Billy Moore despite his acrobatic attempts to stop them. It wasn’t all one way traffic and Shankly headed in from a corner to make it 2-4 but two more goals gave a final score of 2-6 to the men from Lancashire, although this score exaggerated their superiority. It was exciting, interesting and instructive game which all who saw enjoyed and hearty thanks were given to Everton for coming.

I vaguely remember this game, I think it was close to my 40th birthday. Maybe I'm wrong as I get things a little mixed up nowadays. I think both teams played in blue, hence the silly score.

Back