• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best Bargains

Pubey

I'm a bit of a vinyl nut and over the last year or two have built up quite a tasty collection of classic albums. I was at home this weekend and whilst busy doing various planning stuff for the wedding, I popped into a local charity shop that often has a couple of crates of vinyl LPs.

I wasn't having much joy and was about to leave when I spotted a tatty looking black inner sleeve (no outer cover). On closer inspection it was a cult classic indie album Hex, by an excellent band called Bark Psychosis. They're not particularly famous, but I knew that Hex was an album that has gone on to influence quite a lot of bands that I'm into.

So I bought it for 50p, and have just got in and had a quick search online to find out that my 50p purchase could be worth up to £176! That how much a good quality version is being sold for currently!

Mine won't be anywhere near that kind of price due to its condition, and it's a great record so I won't be selling, however it was a gem of a find and goes to show that even if you're just curious, you may well find an absolute bargain when you least expect to!

Has anyone else got a good "bargain buy" story?

in relation to yours, I bought "dark stranger" (suburban base records) from Golden Disk for 75p, it was allegedly worth £30 at the time (a fair amount for a jungle single). in the end I ebayed it and got £1.60.

in relation to yours, I bought "dark stranger" (suburban base records) from Golden Disk for 75p, it was allegedly worth £30 at the time (a fair amount for a jungle single). in the end I ebayed it and got £1.60.

decent profit margin there!

I'm a bit of a vinyl nut and over the last year or two have built up quite a tasty collection of classic albums. I was at home this weekend and whilst busy doing various planning stuff for the wedding, I popped into a local charity shop that often has a couple of crates of vinyl LPs.

I wasn't having much joy and was about to leave when I spotted a tatty looking black inner sleeve (no outer cover). On closer inspection it was a cult classic indie album Hex, by an excellent band called Bark Psychosis. They're not particularly famous, but I knew that Hex was an album that has gone on to influence quite a lot of bands that I'm into.

So I bought it for 50p, and have just got in and had a quick search online to find out that my 50p purchase could be worth up to £176! That how much a good quality version is being sold for currently!

Mine won't be anywhere near that kind of price due to its condition, and it's a great record so I won't be selling, however it was a gem of a find and goes to show that even if you're just curious, you may well find an absolute bargain when you least expect to!

Has anyone else got a good "bargain buy" story?

Got loads of 12" singles in the loft as well as albums.

Some rare ones I think.

Roni Griffiths-Best part of breaking up. Released, deleted and re-released on a different label. I have both. Have others, but none spring to mind, though a couple are pre-release white label promos.

I really need to get them all down form the loft for a look thru. I aim to buy one of those USB Turntables and copy the lot to HDD and burn off onto CD/MP3.

I won a signed David Beckham England shirt that was worn against Andorra... At the moment it's taking pride of place on my wall, but I'd imagine in a few year it'll fetch a few quid.

I also have a dreadlock given to me personally by Ricky Otto, which I keep in a secret compartment in my underground cellar. I smell it daily to relive the memories of him. I wouldn't sell it for all the gold round his neck.

I also have a dreadlock given to me personally by Ricky Otto, which I keep in a secret compartment in my underground cellar. I smell it daily to relive the memories of him. I wouldn't sell it for all the gold round his neck.

Barry Harris still has Jimmy Corbett under his stairs.

I got a Liverpool v Barcelona programme from the 2001 UEFA Cup semi final second leg at Anfield which was signed by Michael Owen, Gary McAllister, Sami Hyypia and Jari Litmanen. Liverpool won 1-0, I think it was Gary McAllister who scored from the spot and went on to win the treble that year so must be worth a bit!

I got a Liverpool v Barcelona programme from the 2001 UEFA Cup semi final second leg at Anfield which was signed by Michael Owen, Gary McAllister, Sami Hyypia and Jari Litmanen. Liverpool won 1-0, I think it was Gary McAllister who scored from the spot and went on to win the treble that year so must be worth a bit!

Keep it for 50 years and it might be worth owt. At the moment, not more than 20/30 quid.

I have a copy of Manilow Magic which I purchased from BUST for 10p.

It still had the original price lable of £6.99 on the front - quite a saving.

lesson to the wise, kids. If you manage to pick up a very limited edition JJ72 single for 50p in Golden Disc, on the basis that it was worth £55 at the time, do NOT assume it's going to appreciate in value...

lesson to the wise, kids. If you manage to pick up a very limited edition JJ72 single for 50p in Golden Disc, on the basis that it was worth £55 at the time, do NOT assume it's going to appreciate in value...

I bought an apparently limited edition Longview ep on vinyl on exactly this basis, I think it's still worth about a quid!

A few years ago i had for a while been looking for a single called 'I Like it' by Narcotic Thrust, which had been deleted by Free2Air Records 4 weeks after its release.

I eventually found two copies next to each other in Virgin Kings Road branch one lunchtime for 20p a pop in the bargain bin.

I kept one copy for myself, and sold the other on ebay for £19.

Bought a 1971 Gibson Les Paul custom for £300 in 1976.

In Vintageandrare it's £2,000 complete with purple fur case.

Wouldn't take £10,000 for it - it's zap-on-a-strap.

as evidenced by my rare "dark stranger" remix

Back