• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Fishing Thread.

Sean 2

Director
This is it. There must be loads of fisherpeople out there. Me, i've only just began getting my rod wet.
But i gotta say, fishing is so goddam addictive. I used to think it was so simple, how wrong i was. It can be as easy or as technical as you want it to be. If you believe all the hype then you'll kiss goodbye to thousands of pounds on equipment and baits.

Stick up your big fish photos if you have caught any, scrub out your face if you like. I haven't caught anything substantial yet as i've only been a few times but i've already been night fishing at a venue called Suffolk Water Park. 30 plus Carp in there! We never found any though and neither did the estimated 90 rods in the 25acre lake that night. Tough, tough venue!

Going up to the Norfolk Broads very soon, i'm intent on landing the bad mutha of them all, the Pike. I'm fascinated by these predators.

Thoughts?

I used to be into Carping in a big way.

My record stands at 29lb 12oz, a lovely leather from a syndicate lake in the Rochford area, I used to be a member of.

Alas several thousands of pounds down, spent on Shimano reels, Delkims, Infinity rods, Nash domes and bedchairs and a tough couple of seasons a few years back put me off, not to mention the birth of my boy.

Haven't launched a 3oz weight 100 yards in anger for a few years now. But my old man is into his French trips big style. Recently returned from Chantecoq (I think) with a monster 50lb Common in the bag and 6 others to 39lb, plus a monster cat and a sturgeon, which has wetted the appetite a little bit.

Will try and dig some pics out...

If you are just starting up mate, I would recommend a visit to Stambridge Fisheries. 3 Lakes there, 1 **** easy with carp to around 10lb, the other 2 more difficult, but carp to around 22lb. Not to mention plenty of Tench, Roach, Rudd, Pike etc is that's more your game.

If you have any questions fire away and I'll do my best to help you out.

Last edited:
I've got 4 mates Smiffy who go fish a fair few times and PB at just under the 20's. Now, being new to this chasing the Carp, it got me thinking surely i'm better off travelling to venues where the big fish are confirmed and there in numbers to be able to catch.
The Suffolk Water Park for example is definetly holding big fish but there are known to be only 150 of the blighters to the 25acres of wetstuff. My next carp chasing venue will definetly hold more fish in, there are a few about on day ticket it just means i'm gonna have to bait the life out of it if most of the pegs are taken and i can't move around. Which isn't ideal if i'm only there for a 12hour stint.

Any ideas how to bait the buggers over to my swim and keep them there?
I'm guessing aim for the smaller Roach etc to bring over the Carp. The trouble is in the summer these places are getting pressurised with all these anglers!

Great idea for a thread Sa2V...........I used to coarse fish all the time in England but there is no coarse fishing hardly at all up here, just Sea and Fly.

I have purchased a Fly and Sea outfit and have started with the sea gear with some success but still struggling with the Fly gear. I Need to go with someone who can Fly fish as it really takes a bit of practise.

I've got 4 mates Smiffy who go fish a fair few times and PB at just under the 20's. Now, being new to this chasing the Carp, it got me thinking surely i'm better off travelling to venues where the big fish are confirmed and there in numbers to be able to catch.
The Suffolk Water Park for example is definetly holding big fish but there are known to be only 150 of the blighters to the 25acres of wetstuff. My next carp chasing venue will definetly hold more fish in, there are a few about on day ticket it just means i'm gonna have to bait the life out of it if most of the pegs are taken and i can't move around. Which isn't ideal if i'm only there for a 12hour stint.

Any ideas how to bait the buggers over to my swim and keep them there?
I'm guessing aim for the smaller Roach etc to bring over the Carp. The trouble is in the summer these places are getting pressurised with all these anglers!

Haha, that is the million dollar question mate.

I will tell you what I used to do back in my Carping days.

Now as the nights are longer and warmer, the best time to scope out a lake is in the evening, around sunset. You will see a lot of carp rolling and bubbling up in certain areas. Get your self a big bag of groundbait or make up your own using hemp/trout pellet/chick peas whatever you like, as long as it has plenty of particles. Totally load up the spots where the carp are showing, or where you feel looks promising, with your particle mixture. Maybe launch half kg of your chosen boilie in there as well for good measure! (Try and do this while nobody is around) Use a bait boat, PVA Bags or good old catapult, but make sure you keep it in a nice tight circle. No more than 20 feet in diameter. Get up at the crack of dawn, have a good slow walk around the lake (if there is anyone fishing your spots just knock em out, hence why I said get up at crack of dawn. It has happened to me before and the ******* landed 5 carp to 30lb) and launch a small amount of particles/boilies in the same area you did the night before. Set your gear up and fish the area/s where you have pre-baited. Always worked for me mate. All about pre-baiting in the carp game. Especially on the larger lakes.

Last edited:
Sea fishing for me. Every year i have 7-10 trips out of Whitby deep sea wreck and rough ground fishing, fishing at depths between 200-280 foot. I also return home with enough Cod, Pollock and Ling fillets to last a year. Always a great buzz with the bonus of seeing Pilot and Minke whales, Porpoises and Dolphins plus Porbeagle sharks whilst out on the briny.

Another thing.

These bloody day ticket fisheries are a nightmare in the summer. I hate looking around a lake and finding every swim taken. It takes away the whole "experience" of what fishing is about. The best time obviously to go to a day ticket water is midweek and a bit later in the season. If you are after big fish, I have always found the Autumnal months to deliver. This is usually the spawning time and they are greedy *******s!

Get yourself into a syndicate mate. There is plenty of clubs around. I can recommend some of the best in Southend/Essex area if your interested (Although the wait could be longer than us signing somebody). Will cost you a few £££'s but it is worth it, as the lakes are clean, well stocked, fairly quiet, the fish are prestine and you know everyone pretty much.

Last edited:
Sea fishing for me. Every year i have 7-10 trips out of Whitby deep sea wreck and rough ground fishing, fishing at depths between 200-280 foot. I also return home with enough Cod, Pollock and Ling fillets to last a year. Always a great buzz with the bonus of seeing Pilot and Minke whales, Porpoises and Dolphins plus Porbeagle sharks whilst out on the briny.

Man that's gotta be hardcore fishing:D To be fair, i'd love to drag home some Cods from the deep.

Sea fishing...how do they fish off the pier? I mean actually raise the fish up once caught onto the pierdeck. I can't see it's possible to just reel 'em in, having the fish dangling off the hook. Never thought about watching them.

Another thing.

These bloody day ticket fisheries are a nightmare in the summer. I hate looking around a lake and finding every swim taken. It takes away the whole "experience" of what fishing is about. The best time obviously to go to a day ticket water is midweek and a bit later in the season. If you are after big fish, I have always found the Autumnal months to deliver. This is usually the spawning time and they are greedy *******s!

Get yourself into a syndicate mate. There is plenty of clubs around. I can recommend some of the best in Southend/Essex area if your interested (Although the wait could be longer than us signing somebody). Will cost you a few £££'s but it is worth it, as the lakes are clean, well stocked, fairly quiet, the fish are prestine and you know everyone pretty much.

Great advice Smiffy. I guess i'm not looking for syndicates too much now that the rivers are open and plan to find free bankside stuff, especially in my search for Mr Pikey, while at the same time quite content to chuck in the floater rod with some hemp and maggot and see what i pull out.

I am determined to find big Carp in August onwards so will study the day ticket scene for proven lakes and look to mash 'em up overnight. I can't see the old lady letting me out for too much of this fishing malarky as there is only so much time available at weekends.
Mind you, SUFC helped me out with those Fri nighters!

My biggest trouble right now is having had a taster of so many disciplines of fishing i find the rigs slightly confusing so i'm having to write everything down so that i can revert to it when the time comes.
The only other aggro is that i've got chunky hands and my fingers get all confused at the sight of a fishing line, making the knots i attempt a bit of a bugger.

Oh well, tight lines and all that;)

Priory Park believe it or not has 20lb+ Pike over the winter months (best time for Piking)

They like a plug over there.

Mid nov saturday game at RH, then head on over for the night. Livebait and istope floats obviously!

Shrimp and two veg
If you ever want to go sea fishing from a beach, let us know. These are codling from orford Island
orford005.jpg

Last edited:
Priory Park believe it or not has 20lb+ Pike over the winter months (best time for Piking)

They like a plug over there.

Mid nov saturday game at RH, then head on over for the night. Livebait and istope floats obviously!

There's a pond there? Didn't even know that!
I researched one hell of a lot into Pike and yeah, realise that they are monstrous eaters in the summer as they get hungrier as it gets warmer, the only trouble is they expend so much energy doing so that it can be dangerous for them especially if people like me are lifting them out of the water.
The trick is i believe to get them unhooked and back in the swim asap. Also, because they launch themselves so hard at the bait in the summer, your hooks tend to travel further down the throat and can be a bugger to get out.

Which is why the day ticket waters don't let you go Piking in the summer months, they're scared for the safety of their predators.

"Shrimp and two veg
If you ever want to go sea fishing from a beach, let us know."

..mate, i'd have to get the Sea Licence first!

Farping good idea though. Wifey and twins sod off up the prom leaving me to wet me lines and prep for the evening dinner!

Jase, you never know, i could be tempted:D

Shame the peeler crab are at the end of the season otherwise a session at Selsey for the hounds would had been the order of the day.
As for a sea license? Whats one of them?

I went fishing once and caught a giant pair of red y fronts .. never again

PS ... shouldn't this be in the All Sports forum ??

Back