• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question How many of you strictly support Southend United?

Do you strictly support Southend United as your only team?

• Yes, I only follow Southend

• I support two or more teams

Results are only viewable after voting.
All this talk about being asked who your "real team" is surprises me as I didn't think it'd be an issue in England. Here in Australia the conversation usually goes along these lines.

Do you follow soccer? (Usually when wearing a Southend jacket or shirt)

Yes.

What team do you follow?

Southend United

Who?

Southend United, in English League One

Ummm, never heard of them.

Who do you follow?

Insert Liverpool/Chelsea/Man Utd/City or Real Madrid here

I make some comment about how their team is going and they stare blankly at me and the conversation ends.

One variation from the above is when I said Southend played in League One someone nodded knowingly and said "so they play against PSG then".

I did work with a Peterborough supporter recently so at least had someone to talk about real football with.

You must try and get over for the PSG game. ?

Southend but have a soft spot for Tottenham as my father originally came from there.been a southend man for over 60 years now first saw them play when i was 7 years old back in 1953, Miss very much not being able to see them now. On my bucket list though.

I also follow Spurs due to my Mum and most of her family being from the Tottenham area, but I definitely consider myself to be more Southend

Southend only since 1967, generally don't go out of my way to watch any other football. occasionally MOTD , England big games, but no desire to watch live prem games.

Although I found out 10 years ago that my Grandad , who died when I was 7 months old. was a Spurs season ticket holder and Died on the way home from a game , so I have a soft spot for them.
Also watch the results of Clachnacuddin in the Highland league and Cobh in Ireland , having gone to games whilst on holiday.

As a kid my dad had a mate who went to Arsenal one week and spurs the next, he game me all his programmes and memorabilia when I was about 8, so I have an interest in Arsenal as well, but primarily pre 1970.

I have a Red Star Belgrade shirt and watch them (when on free tv) in Europe etc; only because when I was working living there they were very welcoming and gave me a free tour of the stadium on the day before the Serbia v Italia game. They seemed, strangely, proud of Arkan (war lord) having a house opposite the main stand that his widow lived in.

SUFC since the mid-60's. Didn't matter how far I've wandered, always kept an eye on the boys and now being retired can spend more time keeping up with things here as simply cannot get to the games. Maybe one day in the future.......

Southend till I die. Can’t fathom the idea of supporting another team.
People always ask “ but what’s your Prem team?”
I don’t get it, basing who you support on league position. Reminds me of all the kids that used to support Man Utd when I was a kid cause they were the best.
Made that day when we beat them even more special . UTB

I've supported SUFC since the mid 70's and currently have a ST. I rather like the conversations when people ask you who you support expecting you to name a top premier team, and the quizzical look on their face when say Southend. Yes proper football, not money orientated premiership stuff. I'll concede some of the football is excellent, but it's the "oops our star striker has just broken his leg well here's another £100 million go and buy a new one" It's at this stage I think whats the point!
(Rant Over)
As a lad my team was West Ham, we lived near and all the family were WHU supporters, so I still keep an eye on their results, but would it devastate me if they went down, not really.

I am one of the few still left who was at Wembley on 30th July 1966 when West Ham won the World Cup, so I will always have a soft spot for them.

Quiz 1. I had a book of ten tickets in 1966, all our group games, qtr final, semi, 3rd/4th play off and Final. How much?

Quiz. 2 one of the England Group games was not played at Wembley, where was it played and why?

I have a Red Star Belgrade shirt and watch them (when on free tv) in Europe etc; only because when I was working living there they were very welcoming and gave me a free tour of the stadium on the day before the Serbia v Italia game. They seemed, strangely, proud of Arkan (war lord) having a house opposite the main stand that his widow lived in.

Yes, my mate had been over there a few times before I went and introduced me to some Red Star lads. Top guys and really made you feel welcome. Belgrade is one of my favorite cities and the derby game is without doubt the maddest thing I have ever attended. If you ever get the chance then do it.

Shrimpers are the one and only for me although I have been to Carrow Road to see a few games but always with my 'Betterview' shirt on under my jumper.

Shrimpers are the one and only for me although I have been to Carrow Road to see a few games but always with my 'Betterview' shirt on under my jumper.

My parents first took me to the Hall,November 1955 (beat QPR 2-0),and I’ve been going ever since-mum and dad did too,into their 90’s.
Also,as a youngster,you’d just choose one of the very best teams and I went for the famous blue and white stripes of the mighty Albion,with Ronnie Allen,Derek Kevan and Bobby Robson banging in the goals.
Still now every season I get to watch them a couple of times,usually in London.In my first year at Aberystwyth Uni 1968,I managed to persuade a friend to hitchhike with me across mid-Wales for my first visit to the hallowed Hawthorns-we came from behind to beat Manure 2-1,but hitching back along very quiet roads in the dark proved less rewarding and we eventually flaked out and spent the night in a cow field.

Southend only for me but when in Lisbon visiting the wife's family i do enjoy watching Sporting. i have tickets to see them at Arsenal in November.

I only support the Southend first XI.

I refuse to attend under 23 or reserve games although a job and a social life mean that I wouldn't get to many even if I wanted to.

I go to the odd Posh game but as others have said it's something inside you that only comes out when you take your seat at Roots Hall.

I tend to follow any team that plays attractive football. My prem team this year is Liverpool plus I have a soft spot for Fulham for no other reason than that it seems a great place to go watch footy.

In the UK Southend and Southend reserves!
I also have soft spot for Banfield from Buenos Aires as they were the team I supported when I lived there as a child although I never got the see them. (Two weeks before we left the country I was going to be taken to watch them play the great power Boca Juniors but I contracted the flu and could not go. Banfield caused a huge upset by winning 3-1 with my favourite player Alberto Rodriguez scoring twice. If I live to be 100 plus I will never forget that!).
I follow Cadiz in Spain a little as they were nearest club to where my parents used to live after they retired. I do support Leinster and Irish Rugby with an equal passion to my Southend fervour but that does not count as neither is a football team!

Just Southend for me, I’ve been to Old Trafford many times as my dad and brother are season ticket holders there but only for the day out! I have a soft spot for both Borussia Dortmund and FC Magdeburg after an FM save a couple years back.

Back