• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend Utd vs Southampton U21s -Checkatrade Trophy

Watching on Ifolllow really reiterated how bad the commentators are.

Nice spell in the first half. Great goal from Elvis. Second half was very drab, happy just to pass the ball about. Shame really as feel like we should be practising killing teams off... which is our biggest weakness.

The second half was, RHB

Where's the desire. The busting a gut to score a goal.

Substitutions were negative like for likes.

Jeez throw some forwards on and go for it!

The second half was, RHB

Where's the desire. The busting a gut to score a goal.

Substitutions were negative like for likes.

Jeez throw some forwards on and go for it!
I agree on the subs, I know Hyam is short of match fitness but I would have had him off at half time and Dieng on. I also agree that they took their foot off the gas, but to be fair to Southampton they also stopped playing Fancy Dan stuff and started pushing us deeper in the second half. If McCoulsky had scored with his header and McLaughlin had taken at least one of his chances we would have got our five. Whilst it wasn't scintillating it was at least solid, which Saturday definitely wasn't and Dru's 2nd half forward surge beating three/four players was worth my entry fee alone. Maybe Kelman could have come on a bit earlier and that will no doubt fuel the 'SCPs timing of subs' debate this week on the Zone.

The Southampton starting 11 had 4 x 18 yr olds 6 x 19 yr olds and one 21 yr old

Their bench was all but one 18yr olds.....

Not sure what will be made of that but I can’t do my usual long post become it’s too late ? maybe I’ll draw some conclusions tomorrow but that is a VERY young side with over half the squad playing U18s football last season.....

However I do agree on CP team selection. It was vital for morale and our season to win the game and enter a KO stage of a cup....and what was needed to win this game was a team full of older pros.

If i heard correctly, the BBC commentators said at the beginning of the match, that they spotted a few scouts from a few different clubs at Roots Hall tonight, and presumed it was to have a look at Yearwood.

Also saw Neil Harris in the directors box tonight....

The Southampton starting 11 had 4 x 18 yr olds 6 x 19 yr olds and one 21 yr old

Their bench was all but one 18yr olds.....

Not sure what will be made of that but I can’t do my usual long post become it’s too late ? maybe I’ll draw some conclusions tomorrow but that is a VERY young side with over half the squad playing U18s football last season.....
As most of have always said, PL clubs add nothing to this competition. It’s as detrimental as us sticking an u23 side in the FA Trophy.

Question though; if we get drawn against a PL u21 side is the tie automatically played at RH? Or can PL sides play at home in the KO rounds?

As most of have always said, PL clubs add nothing to this competition. It’s as detrimental as us sticking an u23 side in the FA Trophy.

Question though; if we get drawn against a PL u21 side is the tie automatically played at RH? Or can PL sides play at home in the KO rounds?

My understanding is that PL sides play all their games away. That was the/one of the, 'sops' to accept them in in the first place.

Of course i could be talking complete b------s!

I think that's incorrect.

After the group stages, U21 sides can play at home.

Last season, Swansea City U21's entertained Charlton Athletic in Round 2.

Back