• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Players who always gave 100%

I was listening to a NFL podcast a while back when they were talking about the draft and one of the things a team personnel director said one of the things they look for in 1st round picks is charisma. It had never occurred to me before that this would be such a desirable trait in a sportsman (although it probably overlaps with leadership) but I think it is spot on and is just what this team needs.

Someone like Barrett had that charisma. His enthusiasm, pride and energy was infectious and rubbed off on those around him - not just team-mates but on the crowd as well.

A dressing room consists of a mix of characters. They aren't just footballers but individuals with different personality types. A team of clones won't work. You need some vocal players, but if everyone is too vocal everyone gets shouted out. You need serious, focused individuals because it is work but if everyone is too serious and too focused you get too tense. So you need a joker, a clown who can say the right thing at the right time to loosen the mood or lighten things up when you're going through a spell like this.

Maybe we already had the right mix of personalities and injuries have removed them from the dressing room but I'm struggling to identify too many boisterous types, a player of two who sees the lighter side of the game, a leader that rallies the troops. Maybe we miss Timlin and maybe Anton Ferdinand here as much for their personalities as for their waning football abilities. I expect someone like Wordsworth would crack a joke or two, who is now the class clown? Maybe Dru is a bundle of positive energy but if so there are too few like him.

Above all what we need is an individual(s) who wants to take the game by the scruff of the neck when things start going awry and will it by sheer force of personality. We have largely competent players. What we lack - besides in Hopper's absence a targetman - is someone with this sort of charisma to bend things to their will. If they lead, I think the others will follow.
I follow Coker on Instagram and he definitely plays the 'class clown' - but now he's out injured.

Kevin Maher.

LOL

That's a clear way of outing yourself as someone who didn't go to away matches in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Maher coasted through loads of away games in the first half of his Southend career, relying on his ability to retain possession but offering little work rate or inclination to tackle. He still showed up for big games (we were much more of a FA Cup side than a League side back then) when he would put in a shift but on a rainy day at a Darlington or Halifax forget it.

Fair play to him for turning it around though: his second half of his Southend career he was far more consistent and hard working.

What is 100% ?....A lot of people think its a Timlin tackle but what about players who show real care in their passing or even a corner. The better players are checking over their shoulder and at least giving it some thought.

Our set pieces, including throws, this season would get no more than 20% for effort or thought.
That post is useless without a few names chucked in Rigsby ! :Fishing:

LOL

That's a clear way of outing yourself as someone who didn't go to away matches in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Maher coasted through loads of away games in the first half of his Southend career, relying on his ability to retain possession but offering little work rate or inclination to tackle. He still showed up for big games (we were much more of a FA Cup side than a League side back then) when he would put in a shift but on a rainy day at a Darlington or Halifax forget it.

Fair play to him for turning it around though: his second half of his Southend career he was far more consistent and hard working.
Sorry for “outting myself” LOL I was only little in the late 90’s so you are quite right I didnt travel away.

Maher is my all time favourite player

Sorry but not sure how we can determine if a player gives 100% in every game. I am sure players such as Paul Clarke had the occasional game where he didn’t feel right and only put in 80% effort. There are also players that to us may look like they are doing nothing all match but have more of an influence than the player that is doing all the running.
I would argue that a player such as Phil Gridlett falls under this catagory. Influential but not respected by fans due to apparent lack of effort.

What is 100% ?....A lot of people think its a Timlin tackle but what about players who show real care in their passing or even a corner. The better players are checking over their shoulder and at least giving it some thought.

Our set pieces, including throws, this season would get no more than 20% for effort or thought.
Agree with this, it’s means having a mindset that allows you keep your focus , to keep wanting the ball, to keep making runs etc even when having a mare.

Adam aside, no one in my view ever gave more to the cause than Dave Worthington. Top memories of him in the early '70's regularly pumping his fist towards the stands with sheer grit and passion to will the troops, and the fans, on. Would so love to find where he is now and sign him up for SUEPA

I wonder how many of the current squad we will look back on in a few years and be able to say that they fell in to this category? Hopper for sure(from what I've seen so far) then Demi perhaps, but then I am struggling - thoughts?
Yearwood perhaps?

Yearwood perhaps?
I think those two are a good shout. Demi is non stop up and down the pitch usually and bursts his lungs every game getting up to support in attack. Good example was the goal with his head getting stuck in where it could hurt after a 40 yd sprint. Plus hes thereabouts in playing every single possible game when available and notching up a good number of appearances
Dru I think displays all the same characteristics in a player and has the added advantage of youthful keeness and desire and ambition.
Hopper will hopefully be the same in time injuries allowing

Ryan Leonard giving players a 30 yard head start and still getting back to bail out his team with a last second tackle

I didn't rate him but Matt Harrold always tried...Remember a drab home draw with PNE immediayely after the famous MUFC win when he broke his nose and soldiered on.

Mark Phillips should get a mention just for the Orient home game alone. Didn't he have roughly 10 injections just so he could play? Hero imo.

Mark Phillips should get a mention just for the Orient home game alone. Didn't he have roughly 10 injections just so he could play? Hero imo.
Good shout. Could barely run at the end but gave everything

Back