• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Crawley Town 2-6 Southend Utd

Anyone know if those away supporters figures are correct? I was told we had sold around 350 tickets yesterday morning.

There was over 100 in the seats and certainly more than 200 behind the goal
Find it hard to believe there were only 324 of us there, it felt and looked like a lot more. I’d say there were at least 150 in the seats and 300 in the terrace. Can only imagine the 324 figure didn’t include people paying on the day.

With Theo, for me, he needs to be played and given a regular confidence boost and see if after 5 or 6 starts he regains the mojo he had towards the end of last season. At present he is over thinking, trying, NOT playing instinctly and he is stressing about it too much; however he knows all this and is putting in the miles with runs and working back.
I have never thought he was a great finisher but he can worry and work a defence which can be good for the team and strike partner(s).
We need a team of crafters as, imo, we haven't got the creativity from most to be a " pass them off the park" side.
I don’t see why he should keep being started with below par performances. McCoulsky came on and did more in 10 minutes than Theo did all game so why should Theo start another 5 or 6 games ahead of him?

Robinson does create space for others, very useful for the likes of Cox and Bunn. The majority of fans don't see this though, they just see the poor misses. He's having a hard time but to be fair to him he never hides. He does need to keep putting in the hard yards. Once one goes in, more will follow.

He was a key player last night. Nobody else available does the work he does up front. His pace enables him to close down opponents that Cox wouldn’t get to and McCoulsky wouldn’t bother. His play with his back to goal has improved as well and he’s the most likely to win/put off an opponent when it’s cleared forward. We consequently look a better team, with a better shape when he’s in there and he wore down Crawley’s defence for others to exploit in extra time.

Yet his limitations remain obvious. He looks a League Two player. His touch is inconsistent (and probably the weakest in the squad by some distance) his confidence in front of goal has gone so he snatches at chances and his mere presence in the side infuriates a number of vocal fans turning the atmosphere toxic meaning Powell can’t play him at home games. January can’t come soon enough.

I’d be very interested in how Cox feels about Theo playing alongside him.......his goals seem to come when Theo plays....

I always remember Michael Owen singing Emile Heskeys praises....

I’d be very interested in how Cox feels about Theo playing alongside him.......his goals seem to come when Theo plays....

I always remember Michael Owen singing Emile Heskeys praises....
Coincidence. Theo had nothing to do with the 2 goals Cox scored last night or the other 2 goals he was on the pitch for either.

Just got wifi here in sunny Tenerife. .....nearly had a thrombo, well done Blues. Double tapas for madam and I today.

Coincidence. Theo had nothing to do with the 2 goals Cox scored last night or the other 2 goals he was on the pitch for either.
Was no one marking Theo for Cox's goals then? Whilst Theo is an awful footballer he is good at making runs, and when you do that well the defender marking you has to give chase, dragging them out of position. The problem Cox has when he's played up front by himself or with McCoulsky is that the defenders can quite comfortably stick together, which means they can muscle Cox out of the game. Hopper has the ability to deal with that but Cox doesn't, so someone that will pull one of the defenders away from him helps his game.

Well that was an interesting game which seemed to typify our season thus far!
Crawley had the better of the early exchanges and as you would expect were looking for an early goal to get the crowd going. It didn't come thankfully and Palmer was booked for a daft hand ball 'shot' towards goal that Oxley smartly saved just in case.
Then our patience was rewarded when Dieng intercepted a loose ball and freed Bunn on the left who sensibly got in behind their full back and delivered a great cross for Cox to hit home. Not sure why it was given as an own goal looked more of Cox's effort than anything else. Second goal again down to a great delivery from Macca for Cox to head goalwards only for Morris (who was Crawley's MOM in my opinion) to save but again Bunn sensibly there to tap the ball in.
Bizarrely though despite being two goals to the good, I didn't think we'd played that well. We were quite sloppy in possession and got sucked in again to needless hoofball whereas the two instances we kept the ball on the floor we got some reward for that style of play.

Second half and as you'd expect Crawley came out fighting. However, our neat passing led to two great attempts on goal to further the lead but Morris was equal to it especially from a low shot from Robinson. Then defensively we lost it; Palmer was allowed on two occasions to outmuscle the Centre backs and score. Just before the equaliser , Robinson had a great chance to make it 3-1 but fluffed a ten yard shot. That miss after the Crawley equaliser seemed very galling. The home crowd's tails were up and to be honest I thought we'd probably concede at the end. We couldn't retain possession and looked ragged at times as we approached normal time.

Whatever was said though by CP before Extra Time worked! Getting the early lead certainly helped and again well worked from the wide positions. Superb strike from White too (unbelievable skill!) . Then the quality and fitness of our players told, every attack in the second period of extra time seemed to lead to goals. McCoulsky great run and then great follow up from Mantom for his first goal for us, and then a well deserved goal from Macca and a great strike too! A surreal end to this FA Cup contest.

Positives: Crosses better, shot accuracy better, physically fit for ET.
Negatives: Tendency to hoof, sloppy in possession

Oxley : 7 - Couldn't do much for the goals, still doesn't come for crosses. One great save in first half from the handball from Palmer.
Demetriou - 7 - Good energy, was urged by CP to get forward when possibly. Tidy game.
Moore - 6.5 - At fault for both Crawley goals, poor header from their cross from first and in a muddle with White for the second. However, dealt with most other situations well.
White 7 - Half a point for a great finish. Thought he'd headed it as it was such a bullet. Him and Moore mixed up for Crawley second goal. Tendency to lump the ball forward when that wasn't required.
Kyprianou - 6.5 A few tired clearances at the end. Had an ok evening but was trying to fill in at left back.
Hyam 7 - Good to see him back. Needed his nous in midfield. Faded in the second half which was understandable. Booked.
Dieng 7 - Solid for most part. Drifted out of the game in the second half when we needed him most when Crawley back at 2-2 . Picked it up again in ET. Picked out Bunn in lead up for first goal
McLaughlin 8 - MOM. Best performance in ages for Macca. Constantly a menace, had a hand in most of the goals and a great finish for his.
Bunn - 7.5 Was quiet up until his contribution for the first goal. Well taken second by following up, was a nuisance for them. Booked.
Cox 7.5 - A menace for Crawley all evening, was the motivator for the team.
Robinson 5 - Poor Theo. The one time he keeps a shot down low and on target Morris saves it and then when presented with a golden opportunity to make it 3-1 screws it terribly wide. His first touch for simple balls is terrible yet great when controlling a difficult ball. An enigma!

Subs
Mantom for Hyam 7 - Gave us a lift when he came on, well taken goal.
Hendrie for Cox 6 - - Solid performance. Should have started really as a recognised LB
McCoulsky for Robinson 5.5 - Good run lead to Mantom's goal. Still looks lost out there.
Kightly for Bunn 6.5 - Set up Macca. If a bit braver with shooting first time could have had a goal himself.

if only football was that simple
So Theo had some magical invisibal influence on the 2 goals in 90 minutes then? If you look on the highlights he is stood still when both go in, he had nothing to do with the build up either, that was the good work of the wingers and the central midfielders who delivered the ball to them. So i’m not sure what you’re alluding to isn’t simple regarding Theo’s contribution?

He spent half of the game offside, miscontrolling the ball and slicing every shot he had. His movement is ok at times, that isn’t enough though and it isn’t the magical creator of space responsible for every goal we ever score like people are trying to make out.

That’s ridiculous thing to say!! Football is an ongoing war of attrition and all that goes on has an effect on everything that happens now and next....

Theo has been on the pitch for 6 of Cox’s 7 goals......

I’ll leave that there.....

Was no one marking Theo for Cox's goals then? Whilst Theo is an awful footballer he is good at making runs, and when you do that well the defender marking you has to give chase, dragging them out of position. The problem Cox has when he's played up front by himself or with McCoulsky is that the defenders can quite comfortably stick together, which means they can muscle Cox out of the game. Hopper has the ability to deal with that but Cox doesn't, so someone that will pull one of the defenders away from him helps his game.
No they weren’t actually. Theo was stood on the edge of the box unmarked. Theo can make good runs at times, but he didn’t do it often last night and it wasn’t responsible for any of the goals despite people insisting it was. Cox’s goal was all about Cox making a great run into the box and getting on the end of a good cross from Bunn ahead of their defender. Cox, as a striker, should and would be making that run into the box with or without Theo alongside him.

Attachments

• 231D6209-BDBE-463C-A9C3-73EEBA213EA1.png
    231D6209-BDBE-463C-A9C3-73EEBA213EA1.png
    969.3 KB · Views: 41
Theo is so poor the defenders can ignore him and focus their attention on Cox. He can run all he wants but he can't hit the proverbial barn door.

You need to consider the type of work Cox needs to do and the role he ends up playing when Theo doesn’t play....it’s the fact he doesn’t need to play that type of role or do that type of work, that allows him the freedom to get into the areas he has when he scored those goals.....while Theo is on the pitch

That’s ridiculous thing to say!! Football is an ongoing war of attrition and all that goes on has an effect on everything that happens now and next....

Theo has been on the pitch for 6 of Cox’s 7 goals......

I’ll leave that there.....
Why is it ridiculous to suggest that Theo didn’t have a hand in Cox’s 2 goals last night? Cox made the space for himself for the first goal and the build up involved the defence playing the ball out to Dieng who played the ball to Bunn who did well to get a cross in for Cox who made an excellent run into the box to get on the end of it. Can you please point out to me the magical influence that Theo had for this goal?

Jesus!!! I haven’t said he had a hand in any of his goals!!!

Read what I’ve said!! Him being on the pitch allows cox to play a different role and over the course of a game Theo’s work rate and movement MAY allow cox the freedom to work in different areas and do more productive things as opposed to Cox doing the work Theo normally does!!!

Given that Cox is arguably our most talented / experienced / valuable player then I would argue getting the best out of him is pretty important?

Some interesting points on Theo.

I think what it does underline is that whoever plays that second striker role, Cox is far more valuable and dangerous playing in a 4-4-2 system allowing him to do more damage in and around the penalty box.

Back