• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England in Sri Lanka and West Indies

Spot on.

A couple of years back, we wouldn't have competed in these conditions.

Ed Smith, James Taylor and the like, seem to be pushing us forward with decent selection and a good thought process.

Apparently, over the two innings, England's last wicket pair added 101!

Last edited:
Bairstow back in to bat at 3 and Broad in.

Curran (Injured) and Anderson (Rested).

Be interesting if Bairstow can adapt just as a batsman now Foakes has taken his chance behind the stumps

Anderson good call, not getting younger

Ideal situation to let loose the new quick-pointless picking Broad as we know what he does. I’d have left Broad and Anderson at home and picking Denly appears a waste of time as well. No point picking blokes if you’re not going to give them a go.

I agree in someway S.A.M but you need cover in place ie Denly, and though fast bowlers are limited in their wickets,you need the threat of them to play

Would have thought Jamie Porter could have gone for the experience, and as last test being a non event in term of series, would have been good to give him a run out

Bayliss was saying good things about Broad and Bairstow's attitude whilst out of the side, so it almost comes across as a sort of reward to give them a game.

Personally, I'd like to have seen Denly at 3 and Stone given another go, as he bowled well in the ODI's at times and can rough up the batsmen, whereas Broad will just bowl his normal length and could well be ineffective.

Fair comment on Jamie Porter, though he is with The Lions in the UAE at the moment, so might be better leaving him on that tour.

5 Wickets in the match re unofficial Test, first innings looked impressive figures 3-22 off 12 overs second 2-68 off 19 overs

Batting not too good a pair in the match !!!

Looking a good prospect if injury free

I agree in someway S.A.M but you need cover in place ie Denly, and though fast bowlers are limited in their wickets,you need the threat of them to play

Would have thought Jamie Porter could have gone for the experience, and as last test being a non event in term of series, would have been good to give him a run out

I said at the time that Porter should have been given a try - he was picked for the summer tests (all be it not playing in first eleven) he's been the leading English seamer for last two seasons in division one of the CC. Broad and Anderson are flogged to death and this was the ideal opportunity to have a look at something new. Bairstow for me isn't a number three batman, Denly was picked to play at three or at opener and should have been next in line.

Not the best start... from 22-1 to 36-2.

Thankfully Bairstow (42) and Root (28) have pulled it back to a more decent 102-2 at lunch.

Been watching a bit this morning.

Batting well after the early wickets. Better tempo to our batting today. It got a bit frantic at times in the first two tests.

The order looks better now with Stokes, Buttler and Moeen in their correct places.

For me, disappointed with Root (again)....not just as a batsman, but as a captain.

Bairstow, seems to still make a claim for the team with a current 81... Stokes looks like his riding he's luck with a 38.

I would personally love to see Bairstow to stay out until Foakes gets in to bat!!.... I can see one of them running the other one out!! :Smile:

Anyway.... it's currently 197-3 at tea. (with a probable slight rain delay)...... But can't really complain so far.

Thats all have a better look on day 3.

Last edited:
With all the selectors, discussions and everything else, it appears to have taken a stupid football kickabout to have solved the wicketkeeper and number 3 slot!

Are you implying, Uncle Ron's management skills had anything to do with this?

If they put the blowers on the pitch.... I think we know the answer!! :Smile:

For me, disappointed with Root (again)....not just as a batsman, but as a captain.

Seems a bit harsh to criticise his captaincy when all he has to do as captain so far this test is go out for the toss, which he won!

What about the other one's.?

To be fair, he has made a few poor decisions in his time.

Winning a coin toss, doesn't make you a great captain.

Hopefully Bairstow can be the No.3 that we have been searching for. Hopefully they will stick with him at 3 as he is an excellent batsmen. As for Burns, i think we need to give him a bit longer to see if he can make it. He has scored a couple of decent scores. As for Jennings, the 100 will help but I still think he is not good enough for England. The difficulty is who you would have instead? Hopefully he will prove me wrong.

Back