• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Seaway Leisure Plans Submitted

Now if I read these plans correctly, Seaway Leisure (Turnstone Estates) are going to replace the current Seaway Car Park which Southend Borough Council sold a long term lease to Turnstone Estates for £1.00 four years ago provided a full planning application was submitted and approved by the 10th December 2018. The plans which have not yet been approved and were actually submitted on the 7th December 2018, this obviously now breached the original agreement.

The Seaway Car Park has an existing capacity of 661 and serves the existing visitors to the seafront, High Street, nightclubs, and golden mile. But the new car park Seaway Leisure are proposing has only has a capacity of 555 which if my maths is correct is over 100 less car parking spaces and no where for coaches to park.

So where are the additional 500 proposed new employee's, the guests to the 80 room hotel, the visitors to the 11 screen cinema, the visitors to the 20 Lane Hollywood Bowl, the visitors to the indoor Golf, the visitors to the indoor climbing wall, the visitors to the gym, the visitors to all the new restaurants etc, going to park?

Don't tell me SBC are going to open up the old gas works site further along the seafront and make that a new car park to compensate. I am aware this is currently being built but it is only going to be temporary for a maximum of 5 years while development "opportunities" are explored.

What happens after that?

RedlineMap.jpg

Coach parking definitely needs to be sorted.

On a given summer's day, there are loads of coaches parked there.

Now if I read these plans correctly, Seaway Leisure (Turnstone Estates) are going to replace the current Seaway Car Park which Southend Borough Council sold a long term lease to Turnstone Estates for £1.00 four years ago provided a full planning application was submitted and approved by the 10th December 2018. The plans which have not yet been approved and were actually submitted on the 7th December 2018, this obviously now breached the original agreement.

The Seaway Car Park has an existing capacity of 661 and serves the existing visitors to the seafront, High Street, nightclubs, and golden mile. But the new car park Seaway Leisure are proposing has only has a capacity of 555 which if my maths is correct is over 100 less car parking spaces and no where for coaches to park.

So where are the additional 500 proposed new employee's, the guests to the 80 room hotel, the visitors to the 11 screen cinema, the visitors to the 20 Lane Hollywood Bowl, the visitors to the indoor Golf, the visitors to the indoor climbing wall, the visitors to the gym, the visitors to all the new restaurants etc, going to park?

Don't tell me SBC are going to open up the old gas works site further along the seafront and make that a new car park to compensate. I am aware this is currently being built but it is only going to be temporary for a maximum of 5 years while development "opportunities" are explored.

What happens after that?

View attachment 6750

Maybe they relying on the masses arriving by train? This fits in well with SBC's previously approved development schemes - Hammerson, Royals, Victoria Circus and along Victoria Avenue etc.....none of which have proved a roaring success and were never likely to do so.....

If this Seaway plan gets passed I don't think it will impact on the Councillors views on Ron's scheme. What might be an issue though is the proposed cinema at FF may be withdrawn from the plan by virtue of the fact that it would be the third cinema in the town, probably one to many. Given the demise of the retail industry FF would be mainly housing, a football stadium and a few leisure facilities. Hopefully enough to make it viable??

As usual with SBC this is the right plan BUT 30 years too late. Lakeside and Chelmsford have "done" for quality shopping and the like in our town.
The smart idea would be to develop the Pier with a marina attached and bring some up market money in and luxury marina apartments with great links (by train) to London; and then try and "up class" the High Street.
This plan is POOR and ought to be binned pdq.

Some good news regaining the Seaways Leisure proposal, which SBC "sold" Turnstone Estates the lease for £1.00 after the agreed 4 year deadline of the 10th December 2018 by which time plans were to be submitted and passed, which they failed to do. (plans were submitted very late on the 7th December 2018).

£50m overhaul deal 'must be renegotiated' amid high street 'decimation' claims

PLANS for a new £50million leisure complex in Southend should be reviewed by the whole council, it is claimed.

Southend Council has been working with Turnstone Estates on the centre on the Seaway car park off Lucy Road for four years but independent councillor Brian Ayling wants the deal to be renegotiated.

He said: “The expiry date was December 10 so the contract has officially ended. Any professional contract manager would look at this and say to the developer you’ve not achieved what you set out to do therefore we are looking elsewhere.

“I am asking the council to resolve any issues and then the whole contract should be put out to tender. We need a development that is going to enhance the seafront and High Street. Whereas these proposals could decimate the top end of High Street.”

Southend BID chairman Dennis Baldry said: “The BID welcomes investment and development in the town but such projects should always complement and enhance the town.

“It is worth noting the original Seaway development proposal only gave parking provision for 480 cars, but this has now been increased to 555. However, this is still substantially less than the current 661 spaces currently in the car park.

Councillor James Courtenay, deputy leader of Southend Council, said: “I have given a commitment that cabinet will receive a report on the matter in January 2019 so that the matter can be considered in the context of the deal, the economic impacts and the timescales, especially now that the planning application has been received.”

Tim Deacon, director at Turnstone Estates, said: “From the outset we have been determined to listen to the community and deliver the best development possible that brings the biggest names to Southend.” Plans include 11 screen cinema, hotel, bowling alley, restaurants and a climbing wall.

Full Story
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/17...egotiated-amid-high-street-decimation-claims/

"As previously stated, it would also bring in significant and stable long-term income into the council’s revenue budget, far exceeding the surplus we currently make from parking alone.

So approval is a foregone conclusion. SBC ave admitted it's all about the money!

I wonder if Councillors ever walk and shop the High Street? The place is a tip with few quality shops. If/when Debenhams goes the bottom of the High Street will fall further from any list of places to shop.

A climbing wall, eh? Wow, what an attraction, other councils will be green with envy.....
That depends on what he means, if it's the climbing walls they set up for kids in shopping centres then yeah that's rubbish but proper climbing walls like the one at Basildon's sporting village are very popular at the moment, if it's more along those lines I can see it drawing people in.

Whilst this folly is being constructed on Seaway where are people who usually park there supposed to find parking until the multi-storey is in place?

Whilst this folly is being constructed on Seaway where are people who usually park there supposed to find parking until the multi-storey is in place?

The council have that all sorted. They have allowed the former Gas works site to convert to a 'temporary' car park.......At obviously great expense.

The gas works is a prime site. Various grand things have been proposed, such as a conference centre/music venue. Also a far higher standard hotel than the Brewers fayre was promised.

If anything the Sea Way development should have happened at the gas works. You could have had a 4 star hotel and incorporated the old Gas Works Jetty as part pf the scheme.

We could have had a direct ferry/cruise link to London via the Thames. If anything the Sea way should be the place to divert traffic from the sea front Then when the so called Golden Mile redeveloped into the 21st century. The area in front of it could be full utilised and made to be far more up market and free from traffic.

Back