• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend Utd vs Rochdale AFC

what's your choice for Saturday's starting eleven?

• Mark Oxley

Votes: 84 97.7%
  • Nathan Bishop

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Elvis Bwomono

• John White

Votes: 77 89.5%
  • Taylor Moore

• Michael Turner

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Stephen Hendrie

• Luke Hyam

Votes: 61 70.9%
  • Timothee Dieng

Votes: 76 88.4%
  • Dru Yearwood

Votes: 35 40.7%
  • Sam Mantom

Votes: 77 89.5%
  • Michael Kightly

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Michael Klass

• Stephen McLaughlin

Votes: 76 88.4%
  • Harry Bunn (Been declared unfit and unlikely to be available)

• Simon Cox

• Theo Robinson

Votes: 81 94.2%
  • shawn McCoulsky

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Isaac Hutchinson

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Amadou Ba

• Charlie Kelman

• Norman Wabo

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chris Powell just might be able to select an unchanged side for what must be one of the first times this season. Don't think we picked up any fresh injuries last week, for once.

Can't see him changing much.

Shouldn't need a rest apart from the ones still hungover from their party in Ireland :Dizzy:

Same as last week for me please .... and as Austin said NO tinkering please Mr. Powell

It's not like he tinkers by choice. The side changed a lot in November/December when we played two games a week, that is mainly because we have a lot of players physically incapable of playing two games a week.

I just can't buy the theory that players can't play twice a week.

Never stopped them in the past.

It's not like he tinkers by choice. The side changed a lot in November/December when we played two games a week, that is mainly because we have a lot of players physically incapable of playing two games a week.

I was referring to last week's team and not generally Jai. :Thumbs up:

Easter 1973 - we played Friday and Saturday, April 21 and 22, won 5-0 and 5-1! (Port Vale and Chesterfield), Normal service resumed with a defeat at Halifax four days later!

THEO Robinson wants Southend United’s win against Accrington Stanley to be the sign of things to come – for both himself and his team-mates.

More...

I think when people use that expression it's just a lazy way of saying that a player can't play at his/her peak in two games in quick succession, which I think is probably true for a lot of players at the back end of their careers.

I think when people use that expression it's just a lazy way of saying that a player can't play at his/her peak in two games in quick succession, which I think is probably true for a lot of players at the back end of their careers.

If that is true (which it probably is) then more a reason to let some go in January and free us up to get in some fresh blood

Agreed, Kris. I can see the point with a Kightly or Turner, possibly, if they are playing at 80% in the first game.

Just surprised me that, say, Hendrie needed resting the other week.

I think we need to distinguish between a player with an injury playing through pain playing (or not!) twice a week and a player not carrying an injury playing twice a week.

But I also wonder when Chris Powell talks about resting players to what extent this is the Chris Powell who played in the Championship into his 40s talking and whether the Chris Powell in his 20s - who basically played 40+ games a season throughout without being rested - would agree.

I would be much obliged if someone could respectfully ask the man himself at the next SUSCT Q&A and report back.

I make you right, YB.

I do sense he is over-protective and over-cautious at times. He often alludes to managing players game time and so on.

The injuries have possibly restricted his thinking in pushing players too much, but as we've found out with Dru and Elvis, it has allowed others to blossom.

What a difference a game/goal makes. Theo polling 93%. I hope he builds on his new found appreciation. I think his contribution is often underrated.

What a difference a game/goal makes. Theo polling 93%. I hope he builds on his new found appreciation. I think his contribution is often underrated.

The chanting last week said it all mate "Theo theo theo . .... theo theo....".

OK so that might have only been me, but there was chanting and it's a start :Smile:

I think there are at least 2 things for Chris to consider and us. Luke Hyam is still trying to attain full fitness and together with Turner is unlikely to manage 4 games in 10 days. Some of the "tinkering" I have no doubt is due to the management of players who are not 100% fit. Sam Mantom alluded to this by saying that at times only 9 players were fit enough to train.
We are not party to all that goes on.

I am absolutely sure that Chris would like nothing better than being able to field the same team week in, week out.

I am absolutely sure that Chris would like nothing better than being able to field the same team week in, week out.

With all due respect and no offence intended there has been no evidence of that all season. There has been many conversations and comments on post match threads about why changes were made. Huddersfield fans also made the same comments and some ever warned some of our fans about odd changes and late substitutions.

However, this is not a pop at SCP as I like him, he has challenges to deal with this season BUT if he makes the same calls once he has a pretty much full squad back and the results don't come, then I fear he may lose fans because at that point there will be no more excuses

Back