• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

John Carlin

THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK

Life President⭐⭐
Today was the funeral of John Carlin. Big JC as he was also known, beat a very bad illness in hospital where he was for months, and was getting back to health only to be taken whilst on the sofa watching the tele with his hand on the remote. Way to go John. Back in the Seventies when I first met and became friends with John, he was an extremely tough kid. It was uncanny because when the film Scum came out later, we all thought the main character was based on him, as he was just like that when he was about 16, and the main character was called Carlin. Tough as he was, he was also gentle, kind and a good bloke, with a great big smile. He was from Eastwood, but hung around Leigh and Southend a lot. I would always bump into him now and again, usually in Southend. I'm really going to miss John and our little chats.

Yeah big shame this, remember the good old days playing against him, a real handful to play against, certainly used to let you no he was playing on the same pitch.

Yes I knew (not mates) JC through football Played against Oakwood on a Sunday. They were always a handful. Also he played in the Southend Wednesday league. John was always ok on the pitch compared to some of his team mates.

I do remember him turning up at the Silver Jubilee with about 12 mates to settle some score over a younger brother and his 18 year old mates. Several people made a very sharp exit and for a second I was about to become a victim of mistaken identity. Luckily one of the young lads was with them and remembered I helped break it up and had actually done them a favour. I ended up with a nod of approval rather than a good kicking.

Anyway sad news that another great local character has gone.

John had a lovely 3 ltr Capri, mk1, a lad about town in the late 70s but a good 'un in a laddish way.

John had a lovely 3 ltr Capri, mk1, a lad about town in the late 70s but a good 'un in a laddish way.

I went to watch SUFC play Colchester away in that Capri. It was blue. That man could make me laugh and cry at the same time. I loved him then and I love him still. My heart has a big John-shaped hole in it.

Back