• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Time to go and I’m not just talking about Powell!

Yeah, what an old has been, leaping to head home the equaliser against Rochdale the other week and getting stuck in where it hurts at the other end.

Both in games we lost, great argument there Andy. I’m not saying he doesn’t put the effort in, he’s a good back up at best. If we want to get out of this league or challenge for play offs. Having Turner or White in our defence is not the answer.

The second point wasn't referring to any particular match.

He is not a first choice centre-half. He knows that more than anyone. But it's not his fault that he is landed that role because of injuries and the like.

He wouldn't be my first choice, but MsB's point is that he does a job for us when required. I was surprised at the "I've read it all now" response, suggesting she had just said that Coxy should play in goal or something equally outrageous!

JW is a utility fill in squad player. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you want to post on an open forum or comment in any open space you can expect to be called out or challenged. Some of the comments are an absolute embarrassment. The three goals. Terrible defensively. Completely right.

But I’m afraid I’m allowed to say the second half was good. You’re allowed to say it wasn’t. That’s how it works.

I’d say £20 well spent after seeing a player start his career with a goal you won’t forget. Where we are in the table is where we will finish. Look at the squad. Look at the lineup.

Don’t base where we should be on where you want us to be. Mid table team with the injuries. Top 6 with a fully fit side.

But **** me the first half. Absolute dire to watch, but, what can we expect with the injuries?

How can you watch that shower of so called professional footballers at work and put a positive on it?.......Chris Powell and his merrymen are now the worst set up, worst touch, worst movement team in the League. Wasn’t worth a pound let alone 22...how you can defend it is unbelievable......under this regime we will be bottom four by March and attendances of 4000........Col u up, us down, watched them last week and they play good football......this Powell dross is an embarrassment, what do they do all week in training?

The second point wasn't referring to any particular match.

He is not a first choice centre-half. He knows that more than anyone. But it's not his fault that he is landed that role because of injuries and the like.

He wouldn't be my first choice, but MsB's point is that he does a job for us when required. I was surprised at the "I've read it all now" response, suggesting she had just said that Coxy should play in goal!

I deleted my post as I read it wrong, I thought it said he is the most talented player we have I missed the word not! It’s early! :Blush:

are things really that bad? I mean we have a squad that has a much higher number of youth products than anyone expected to have at this point of the season and we are still mid-table.

we've got a lot of first choice senior players either out injured or woefully out of form yet we are still mid-table.

At the back we are so makeshift that we are playing both someone who's legs are gone and very much the definition of a professional footballer rather than two competent centre backs yet we are still mid-table and have conceded less than this time last year.

Up front we have one forward to choose from, He's a number 10 that likes to drop off so not really the type that you'd want as a lone striker. because of that we have had to try out teenagers to try and make a difference. yet we are still mid-table.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, our history shows that we are about at our level for the club, if anything we are punching slightly above our (historical) weight. The only way we will take the step up to the next level is with significant extra investment, which given the FFP rules even makes that hard.

I really do believe that Ron is doing his best with his limited resources, It is also a bit foolish to think that when we move to the new ground it will be the land of milk and honey. It won't, it will just be league 1 in a new ground and maybe a slightly better chance of reaching the playoffs, what it will do is make us more attractive to prospective new owners who may just may want to do a Bournemouth.

I can't help but feel that some fans have lost sight of who Southend are, we will lose games in frustrating ways, we will at times offer hope then dash it away with poor performances. we will constantly struggle a bit and succeed a bit but I wouldn't have it any other way.

No-one made us support Southend, we could all have chosen Manure, Chelsea or Citeh, but we didn't because we secretly like the pain.

For those bashing Powell and saying 'things weren't this bad under Brown', remember that is was Brown who signed Kiernan, Kightly and Robinson on 3 year contracts. If we had been able to offload one of those we may have been able to keep Timlin and Fortune last year (as Powell wanted) and we wouldn't be in this predicament.

I loved Chris Powell as a player. One of my favourites of all time. He is a really genuinely nice man and a decent ambassador for the sport, but as a manager he is not up to the task.

We are a team of complete snow flakes. No will, no desire, no aggression and no idea how to win games and entertain.

I'm sorry Chris but you aren't the answer mate.

I loved Chris Powell as a player. One of my favourites of all time. He is a really genuinely nice man and a decent ambassador for the sport, but as a manager he is not up to the task.

We are a team of complete snow flakes. No will, no desire, no aggression and no idea how to win games and entertain.

I'm sorry Chris but you aren't the answer mate.

Who is the answer then?

and unless we suddenly tempt a passing billionaire I'd get used to more of the same.

Tempting a passing billionaire is only half of the problem.

Getting Martin to relinquish control is the real stumbling factor.

You’re right though. Under the current stewardship, this endless cycle will continue.

Well my first post on this topic and I am not quite sure where to start to be honest. Yes we are in a very poor situation as a club but in reality has much really changed over the last few years. I don't think it has in some respects. The fact we had a bad game yesterday I don't think warrants some of the comments on here, some of the language being used or the personal attacks.
As fans of course we all have a right to give our views but at the least we could try harder to do this in a proper manner and have the savvy to understand we won't always agree with each other but for god's sake keep it civil guys.
We are above all else suppose to be on the same side.

Every fan has a view, every team will have good and and bad times, so we need to stick together and support the team when THEY need us most.

Last edited:
Let's find the silver linings on the horizon. Bored with all the crap-trap and negativity. We all know it was poor, and we should be better... but we are also not a premiership club, with buckets of money and a huge squad and never will be, so get over it!

We have a manager and team totally ham-strung by problems that the chairman and board have failed to address over a 20+ year period. These are biting us hard again - so how exactly is that the manager, or the players faults...??

IF the rumours are true, the lack of motivation from senior players is no surprise. They have mortgages and young families too, and they will have similar money worries as the rest of us. In that situation I would be worried and not performing at my best either ?!

My positives are as follows, in no particular order:

1) we lost 3-2 in the end, when we were down and out at 3-0. Somehow, against all the odds, we woke up and got back into the game around the 75th minute. Far too late of course, but still - goal difference now 0, not -2. That will help us.

2) we only dropped down to 12th. That could have been far worse as well. Now, I know that points-wise we are closer to the bottom than the top, but have you studied the table? Note that there are at least 3 teams above us who could also be involved in and affect our involvement in a relegation dog fight? Reality is that this is a close league, anyone can beat anyone - no certainties.

3) Charlie Kelman! Just wow. Who knew that young man would have such a dramatic debut and have such a huge impact on the game? The chap on the Quest EFL show was raving about the goal, brilliant! It was a privilege to witness a very special moment in what I hope will be the start of a glittering career - that started right here at Roots Hall!

4) The youngsters. We have some seriously good young stars in the making who have come through our youth system, and are playing in our first team - albeit possibly prematurely. The trouble with young players is that they make mistakes. What they need in an ideal world is the experience around them to guide them and help them out when they mess up. We don't have that luxury right now. The trade off is we are going to remain inconsistent- so as fans it is our job to support and encourage, not complain, boo and systematically destroy these youngsters confidence!

5) Demi and Barratt should be back soon!

6) Ben Clarkson!!!

7) the number of times ex-shrimpers turn up at Roots Hall and score... just proves to me they were very able and capable, and somehow our very large band of idiotic and bullying boo-boys got to them and they couldn't do the business for us. Our current targets are Hendrie and Robinson... and I heard some big complaints in the East yesterday about Elvis and Hutchinson yesterday. Really...? See point 4!!

8) Simon Cox. Totally isolated up front week in week out, and we don't play to his strengths 99% of the time, at the moment by necessity - as his strike partner, Hopper, is out for the season. Yet, when it mattered, cool as a cucumber, that penalty was inch perfect!

9) the humour. I heard someone quip "nah, don't fancy it..." when Bunn came off injured and Hyam, Kightley and Macca were too busy having a chat at the corner flag. That made me laugh!

10) we know that a number of teams in L1 are at least as bad as us, and they don't have anything like our on and off the field problems... huge positive for me!

11) Dru clocked up 50 appearances... at 18 years old!

Substitute positives

12) John White - possibly not the most talented player in the squad, but probably the most reliable and underrated.

13) heard some Plymouth fans on the way out, totally deflated and bemused by conceding 2 goals in the last 15 minutes.

14) the feel-good feeling of watching said last 15 minutes made me feel far more positive and uplifted... reminded me that we are still in this, and this season is most definitely not over yet!

Would that be Adam Barratt by some chance(5)? if only.

I don't know about anyone else but I wouldn't be disappointed to see the likes of Kightly & McLaughlin leave in the summer.

I am totally fed up, with keep reading the negative posts. Just what is our management supposed to do with the hand they have been dealt at the moment.

In the starting line up yesterday were just 4 players that at the start of the season might have been considered first choice. Mantom, Dieng, Cox and Yearwood. The latter only just beginning to show glimpses of what he can do.

Just what other team could have been selected yesterday. More or less it picked itself. We had just 4 fit defenders. Neither Hyam or Kightly could be considered after recent dire performances. McLaughlin has had a poor season as well. Then to cap it all, Bunn has to go off early

Do think some of our supporters should get real. A club of our size cannot afford the luxury of covering every position with quality players. The best we can do is give the youngsters a chance, which in fairness they are taking. However, it is asking an awful lot to expect that to provide a short term answer.

I am hoping that Chris can find the players he needs to strengthen the squad, otherwise I do fear we will be dragged into a relegation battle.

First half embarassing.
Second half good - especially the first 15 of it.
Their first goal a farce.
Second goal decent.
Third goal offside, I’m pretty sure.
Amazing goal.
Will remember it for the rest of my life, that’s why I go and watch every week and also why I watch as much football as I can. In the hope I see something remarkable!
Some embarassing comments about Powell.
Clueless some of you. Another ****tttttttter supporting us.

UTB!!!!!!!
Happy Saturday! x
I'm definitely am not clueless and I'm not a fan of Powell

so much over-reaction on here. Chill out people.

The target this season was a play off challenge. We have a whole team out injured and are just short of that. We are forced to play loads of kids because we have to play whoever is available. If they got a knock, are out of form, low on confidence, issues off the field, not ready yet, anything like that - they play because they have to.

As a result of all that we are frustrating and madly inconsistent. Every game we lose people on here lose their minds. they start going on about sacking the manager, being guaranteed relegation to the Essex Senior League, going bust etc. etc. Sack the manager with what money? Replace him with what money? Sign the new manager's players with what money?

If we carry on like we have been we'll stay up. It won't be pretty but it'll be fine. If we get the striker we need we'll be even more comfortably mid table.

Everyone just needs to keep a far more level head. What was Powell meant to do yesterday? Don't play one up top? We only have one striker! Who of the 0 other senior players should play? Wabo? Off the back of a 20 minute cameo one year ago? Who can't get in teams in the conference? We've seen with McCoulsky, Hutchinson etc. that playing youths when they aren't ready is a risk. And saying 'it can't be any worse' is complete toilet.

Just relax people, we win some, we lose some. We are a mid table team about where we should be given the injuries. So just take it a bit easier

Schrödinger’s Cat.

One thing we can say with a degree of certainty is that in the last 10 years, we’ve experienced all this before, and have not progressed at all.

Still moaning about managers,
still moaning about team selections,
still wasting money on old crocks’ wages,
still questioning if the players have been paid,
still avoiding the tax man
still wondering if we’re under an embargo,
still no new stadium.

I remember moaning about the manager, the team, an old croc who was signed and got injured running out to warm up, financial difficulties, the board, a proposed move from a fairly new stadium....That was 35 ish years ago....three chairmen later....

Makes you wonder if the lack of football income this club has been able generate in the last 40 years might have something to do with both the lack of investment in the team or the lack of anyone with any money willing to take us on and invest....

Back