• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What club wouldnt miss these players.

Wasn’t it 45 mins of one friendly?

He came on v Doncaster and looked positive, I think it was his shot on target that lead to one of our goals.

More importantly he would have been an option in the underperforming wide midfielder position and he could take a decent set piece.....A rare thing at RH this season.

It’s when you need the leaders in the squad to step up, lately we’ve been without White and Cox has been the only leader left, and he’s played superbly.

Still feel that one of Powell’s biggest mistakes was to get rid of Timlin in the summer, he might not reach the heights of Dieng or Hyam or Mantom at their very best, but he was rarely near their lows which we’ve seen far more often. His consistency and leadership is what the team is lacking.

I agree, it’s up to the senior pro’s to step up, but the morale of these players must be depleted looking at who, currently , they have stepping on to the pitch with them ....kids who we are asking an awful lot of.
The current injury list is IMO affecting team spirit, but there can be NO excuse for lack of effort on the part of anyone who pulls on the shirt.

In the main, I don't think the effort is lacking, I just think it's so disorganised and muddled that it becomes a chaotic mess.

Very interesting observations about Timlin. Last season he seemed to be the target for the boo boys. Sometimes you don't know what you are missing until it isn't there.

I'll hold my hands up to being critical of Timlin when he had to play LB and CM.

It isn't his natural position, but I still think there were things a player of his experience could've done better even being out of position. If you're the opposition attacking down that flank you're looking for the opportunity to beat your man, and Timlin was gifting that opportunity too freely and then eager to make up for it he'd give away a foul. Air on the side of caution, stay on your feet and stand them up.

When he played in CM was he tried to play the killer ball too often and with little success. 9/10 he'd try possession was lost for some fairly tale pass and this frustrated the hell out of me.

Anyway, these are things I can remember being vocal about and it still think they stand to reason. It wasn't always peaches and cream with Timlin but for the shortcomings I'd settle.

Last edited:
It's probably no coincidence the Dru has been poor in a Timlin-less Southend. Even when things weren't going Tims' way on the pitch he remained a mentor to those around him. We've heard about how he learnt all of the youth team's names and went out of his way to greet them at the start of each season. He became Southend through and through in his time with us.

A friend of mine is a close friend to Michael Timlin. Apparently he really wanted to stay at Southend but Southend wouldn’t promise him a concrete offer. Hence he went to Stevenage when they offered him.

Powell never gets credit for anything. He’s made Michael Timlin ten times the player he was just by releasing him.

When is Gareth Southgate naming his squad?

Didn't Ron put a limit on the number of over 30s ( a bit of age discrimination) that he would have on the books ( bit of a lesson from Ferdinand- hence both Timlin and Fortune had to go. I presume Turner got another year because of the uncertainty with Kiernan.

Brown had already committed us to Kightly, Robinson and Demetriou long term and McLaughlin -none of whom have set the world on fire this year. Aren't they all contracted next year as well?

Didn't Ron put a limit on the number of over 30s ( a bit of age discrimination) that he would have on the books ( bit of a lesson from Ferdinand- hence both Timlin and Fortune had to go. I presume Turner got another year because of the uncertainty with Kiernan.

Brown had already committed us to Kightly, Robinson and Demetriou long term and McLaughlin -none of whom have set the world on fire this year. Aren't they all contracted next year as well?

There is no doubt whatsoever that the player we miss most from last year’s squad is Fortune.

With Fortune available, I believe that SCP would have played 4 2 4 or 5 3 2 and we would have picked up far more points as a result of the ball sticking up front, which it certainly doesn’t without Hopper and/or Humphreys.

There is no doubt whatsoever that the player we miss most from last year’s squad is Fortune.

With Fortune available, I believe that SCP would have played 4 2 4 or 5 3 2 and we would have picked up far more points as a result of the ball sticking up front, which it certainly doesn’t without Hopper and/or Humphreys.

I always felt we should have kept him for another year, he and Cox had great vision and understanding.

Absolutely. End of last season was a good period for Fortune. He wouldn't have scored more than five or six goals for us this season but he would have allowed CP to stick with his preferred formation.

Again though, I thought CP wanted to keep him but it was a budget/ age thing?

Absolutely. End of last season was a good period for Fortune. He wouldn't have scored more than five or six goals for us this season but he would have allowed CP to stick with his preferred formation.

Again though, I thought CP wanted to keep him but it was a budget/ age thing?

I think Powell would have kept Fortune, Timlin and maybe Wordsworth if the budget would have allowed it. But you have to be ruthless when you are a club of our level.
Fortune was getting on so you can understand, Timlin was playing a lot of wayward passes with Mantom looking great you could also understand that decision. Wordsworth who Powell bigged up in the press saying he was Premier league quality was woefully out of form so again can understand that one.

Great job in letting all the old boys go only to bring in younger ones with extensive injury history who have offered even less availability. (Hyam, Lennon, Bunn)

Back