• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Daggers v Southend

SOUTHEND United manager Kevin Bond was frustrated to see Dru Yearwood and Harry Lennon both having to come off at Dagenham & Redbridge this afternoon.

More...

Not that easy.

Turner's money has probably been spent on signing Goodship.

Kightly hasn't official retired as far as I'm aware.
Oh you kidding goodship couldn’t get anywhere near what turner was on

With a mere two weeks before kick off it is rather depressing to see us scratching around the bargain basement for other clubs cast offs and rejects rather than targetting proven league one players. No doubt confirmation of our status as one of league one's strugglers. Bond seems to have prioritised adding to his own back up staff rather than the playing side and the ridiculous injuries saga gets worse. I fear the worst and we seem to be placing undue reliance on Humphrys after his heroic exploits last season.

With a mere two weeks before kick off it is rather depressing to see us scratching around the bargain basement for other clubs cast offs and rejects rather than targetting proven league one players. No doubt confirmation of our status as one of league one's strugglers. Bond seems to have prioritised adding to his own back up staff rather than the playing side and the ridiculous injuries saga gets worse. I fear the worst and we seem to be placing undue reliance on Humphrys after his heroic exploits last season.
Spot on this:Thumbs up:

Pre season games do tend to feel a little odd on the most part and this was no exception. There just seemed to be an underlying lack of confidence from several on display and everything seemed to be at half pace. It was noticeable that Bond wanted us to play out from the back and I think there were only one, maybe two big kick outs down the middle from Bishop. If we're going to play that style in the league then we're all going to go a little greyer, as I'm not sure we have the personnel at the back to get away with it. Certainly Bishop had a couple of scary moments because of it.

Just a few musings:

Bwomono - It's fairly obvious how far he's come since the turn of the year. He looks much more of a player now than he did six/seven months ago.

Ralph - He didn't really get forward as much as I expected, but he's got a lot of pace and he should add a real new dimension to us this year. He made a couple of good tackles on the recovery and he was surprisingly good in the air.

Lennon - At 50 grand he's an incredibly expensive piece of Bone China.

Milligan - You could just tell that he's bit better than what we already had in the squad. If we can keep him fit then he should be a real lynchpin of the side. He kept it simple, he got around the middle of the pitch and he brought a calmness to things.

Hutchinson - He gave the ball away a little too much, but that probably came because he had the confidence to get on the ball time and time again. He's definitely come on since his introduction to first team football and hopefully he'll keep on progressing.

Buckley-Ricketts - I'd definitely take another look at him, but at the same time you have to think - is he really going to change? Within the first five minutes he won two or three free kicks with some quick feet. He clearly would give us something that we've been lacking for a while, but is Bond the man to sort him out? Today he had flashes of good, mixed with bits of indifferent and bits of laziness. He seemed to drift around rather than heading out to the touchline and I expected him to take on his man a bit more, but there was always the expectation there when he got the ball that he might do something.

Kelman - I thought he struggled to be fair. He's got a decent build to be a regular league player, but he seems to lack a yard of pace. He's in need of a loan spell somewhere once Cox is fit.

Goodship - He dropped deeper a little more often than I expected or would like, but his goal showed what a natural goalscorer he is. As soon as Mantom put him through you just knew he'd score. I'm fairly excited to see what he can do in the league as I fully expect chances to fall his way.

Mukena - He looked cool and calm, but I'm not sure such a young and inexperienced centre half is what we need?

Taylor - He looked so far out of his depth I'd be staggered if he gets anywhere near the first team for a long while.

Blackman - Going forward he actually did pretty well. He wasn't tested defensively too often, but are we really going to sign him??? It'd be a surprise if we did.

Mohammed - He looked like that sort of trialist that will never get a deal to be fair.

Pre season games do tend to feel a little odd on the most part and this was no exception. There just seemed to be an underlying lack of confidence from several on display and everything seemed to be at half pace. It was noticeable that Bond wanted us to play out from the back and I think there were only one, maybe two big kick outs down the middle from Bishop. If we're going to play that style in the league then we're all going to go a little greyer, as I'm not sure we have the personnel at the back to get away with it. Certainly Bishop had a couple of scary moments because of it.

Just a few musings:

Bwomono - It's fairly obvious how far he's come since the turn of the year. He looks much more of a player now than he did six/seven months ago.

Ralph - He didn't really get forward as much as I expected, but he's got a lot of pace and he should add a real new dimension to us this year. He made a couple of good tackles on the recovery and he was surprisingly good in the air.

Lennon - At 50 grand he's an incredibly expensive piece of Bone China.

Milligan - You could just tell that he's bit better than what we already had in the squad. If we can keep him fit then he should be a real lynchpin of the side. He kept it simple, he got around the middle of the pitch and he brought a calmness to things.

Hutchinson - He gave the ball away a little too much, but that probably came because he had the confidence to get on the ball time and time again. He's definitely come on since his introduction to first team football and hopefully he'll keep on progressing.

Buckley-Ricketts - I'd definitely take another look at him, but at the same time you have to think - is he really going to change? Within the first five minutes he won two or three free kicks with some quick feet. He clearly would give us something that we've been lacking for a while, but is Bond the man to sort him out? Today he had flashes of good, mixed with bits of indifferent and bits of laziness. He seemed to drift around rather than heading out to the touchline and I expected him to take on his man a bit more, but there was always the expectation there when he got the ball that he might do something.

Kelman - I thought he struggled to be fair. He's got a decent build to be a regular league player, but he seems to lack a yard of pace. He's in need of a loan spell somewhere once Cox is fit.

Goodship - He dropped deeper a little more often than I expected or would like, but his goal showed what a natural goalscorer he is. As soon as Mantom put him through you just knew he'd score. I'm fairly excited to see what he can do in the league as I fully expect chances to fall his way.

Mukena - He looked cool and calm, but I'm not sure such a young and inexperienced centre half is what we need?

Taylor - He looked so far out of his depth I'd be staggered if he gets anywhere near the first team for a long while.

Blackman - Going forward he actually did pretty well. He wasn't tested defensively too often, but are we really going to sign him??? It'd be a surprise if we did.

Mohammed - He looked like that sort of trialist that will never get a deal to be fair.

For SZ that’s a remarkably balanced, fair and objective review of things ?

You can come again ?

KEVIN Bond's wait for a clean sheet at Southend United continues after Saturday's 1-1 draw at Dagenham & Redbridge.

More...

Just a few musings:

The player himself says that he is similar to Raheem Sterling, is that fair?

Back