• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Wycombe Wanderers 4-3 Southend United (L)

85 minutes......Checked my phone......3-2 up.

Thought about what i could spend my £120 winnings on
(every week i do a tenner southend to win both teams to score)

Emptied the kids paddling pool

Checked my phone..... FT lost 4-3

50 quid down already this season. Av some of that!

That made me chuckle....in a peverse way obviously.....thank you

Speechless. Bring on the team blame from Bond, how we should have shut the game out, run the time down bla bla blaaaargh. Not said it before... BOND OUT

SOUTHEND United’s winless start to the season continued with a heart-breaking 4-3 defeat at Wycombe Wanderers this afternoon.

More...

The first 35 minutes of the first half and the first 20 or so minutes of the second half were good, we didn’t try to play like Barcelona and actually tried to get the ball forward to the strikers and it worked perfectly. Clumsiness and a lack of concentration in defence caused the first two goals but the performance was otherwise fine. The problems came when Bond tried to be clever and mess around with the formation by making bizarre substitutions and playing players out of position. The defensive changes he made invited far too much pressure onto ourselves and make conceding seem inevitable.

Bishop 7- Made some good saves and did well coming for crosses. Couldn’t have done anything about the goals so don’t let your opinion be swayed by people who clearly weren’t at the game looking for someone to blame.

Bwomono 7- Seems to improve with every game, did really well going forward. Why he was brought off and Ndukwu stuck at right back is beyond me, baffling decision from Bond to mess around with the defence with 5 minutes to go.
Shaughnessy 6- Probably the best of the centre halves today. Struggled to deal with Akinfenwa when he came on.
Lennon 5- Some clumsy tackles, a different referee would have given him two yellows. Didn’t know how to deal with Akinfenwa.
White 6- Did OK, was struggling with injury for the last 10 minutes, if any defender should have came off it would have been him not Bwomono.
Ralph 6- Strong going forward as normal, far too many crosses were allowed to be delivered from his side though.

Milligan 5- His passing was generally good but he holds on to the ball for too long sometimes, gave it away needlessly a few times. Don’t know what happened with the own goal.
Mantom 6- Was fairly solid for the first hour. Seemed to disappear for the rest of the game. It almost looked like he was up front with Theo at times, needed to be further back.
Hamilton 6- Seems to be a good signing, good vision going forward and solid in the air. A good box to box midfielder.

Goodship 8- Great turn and finish for the goal, held up the ball well and linked up well with Humphrys. Why bring him off?
Humphrys 10- Excellent performance, strong in the air, lots of pace shown to get on the end of through balls and two top class finishes. His presence up front was invaluable and to bring him off for Theo is absolutely criminal.

Ndukwu 6- Looked good with the ball at his feet, made some good runs down the wing taking on their defenders with some good deliveries at the end. Not so great defensively though which begs the question why he was put at right back over Elvis for the (crucial) last 5 minutes?
Robinson 6- He wasn’t bad but he wasn’t particularly good either. He didn’t hold the ball up half as well as Humphrys and wasn’t getting on the end of through balls like Humphrys. Not his fault but it was just the wrong substitution.
Blackman 5- I mean why? He didn’t do anything wrong but he didn’t make an impact either, was it really worth brining him on to mess around the players with 5 minutes to go?

I was at the game and write this in my car ? All 4 of them ? He’s a goal keeper his jobs to stop the ball going in the goal. 10 of the goals he has so far let in. I assume he wasn’t accountable for any of them too ? Sick of it
Well you need to buy some glasses if you were at the game and thought any of those goals were Bishop’s fault.

Can't believe his comments.

two goals up, he pulls off the front two, who have 3 goals in the game, and then moans that we couldn't defend a two goal lead.

Cos we haven't got any decent outlets left up top you numpty!!

Then to make things worse when asked if he would have made any changes differently the answer is no!

Unbelievable!

Someone sent a text in to BBC Essex, might have been Shrimptank and said the change is not to put a left back on in place of Bwomono, but put a centre back on and move JW to right back.

I'm sorry, but that comment from a fan shows more knowledge of a squad, that the majority of whom, Mr Bond has bought in than the manager himself!!

two goals up, he pulls off the front two, who have 3 goals in the game, and then moans that we couldn't defend a two goal lead.

Then to make things worse when asked if he would have made any changes differently the answer is no!

Unbelievable!

Someone sent a text in to BBC Essex, might have been Shrimptank and said the change is not to put a left back on in place of Bwomono, but put a centre back on and move JW to right back.

I'm sorry, but that comment from a fan shows more knowledge of a squad, that the majority of whom, Mr Bond has bought in.

Rob Kiernan wasn’t fully fit and White was already carrying a knock by then.....to have had two players carrying an injury in the same back 4 would’ve been ludicrous.....but I get your point.....maybe Hyam on and Milligan into the back line would’ve made more sense.....

Unbelievable!

I'm sorry, but that comment from a fan shows more knowledge of a squad, that the majority of whom, Mr Bond has bought in.

Yes indeed. I might be wrong about him, I’ve defended him up to now. A slow start while new signings and a new system settle in but we’re going backwards at the moment - quickly. I’m sure he’s a good guy but he may indeed have been an assistant all those years for a reason.

Poor game management, poor subs, midfield went awol and defensive confused thoughts meant we couldn’t string 3 passes together after 1-3. I was a keep Bond but that was too painful

This is becoming very hard to take 0 points and a win just tossed away after some bloody hard work from the lads,sorry 007 it's room 101 for you.

Rob Kiernan wasn’t fully fit and White was already carrying a knock by then.....to have had two players carrying an injury in the same back 4 would’ve been ludicrous.....but I get your point.....maybe Hyam on and Milligan into the back line would’ve made more sense.....

Get that Grapevine and agree with your logic too. Also thanks for understanding the general point I was making. :Thank You:

Well you need to buy some glasses if you were at the game and thought any of those goals were Bishop’s fault.

Just text a friend who was at the match, I didn't say anything else, just asked 'How did young Bishop play'?....This is the reply......He came for crosses much better, better than Oxley. A couple of dodgy kicks. He saved soft shots that were off target. Would question his positioning as can't save anything aimed at a corner. Looks easy to beat with shots on target.

We just surrendered. Wycombe would have felt very aggrieved if they'd got nothing out of that. They had far more possession far more shots looked faster and fitter quicker to the ball and worked harder. Their keeper was worse than ours - from 3-1 up we just let them impose themselves on us. Ralph looked shot at 60 minutes minutes but he takes off Elvis who can run for ever.

Nathan could do nothing about the farcical og. The others were from close range - we don't work we can't block and hardly tackle. Lennon and Shaughnessy looked like cart horses. Poor Sam works hard but is too slow. Terrible substitutions.

Awful. Advice to all, save your money each weekend now and go and take yours mrs out instead of go out on the lash. Stop spending money every wekeend in these clowns that’s don’t give a crap and get paid either way .

Please forgive me for this but as most are probably aware I am Laytons grandad.
Hes had 4 sub appearances and played right wing, freedom role he does at Leicester, left wing and now fullback is that right! 110 minutes in total!
Hes a creative attacking winger which Bond said could give you the X factor!
Now I know he cant sing so at what point does he get to show this X factor?
How long before he gets disillusioned?
Hes highly motivated, wants to play for the club and is desperate to show you all what he can do and repay the faith the club has shown in him with this chance
So Mr Bond its time for the X factor please!

I'm sitting on the coach outside the ground. Those that know me know I'm rarely angry at football, but right now I'm ****ing furious. Livid. And Kevin Bond, its your fault.

We set up 442 with Elvis in midfield and Good ship and Humphrys up front. We got the ball forward quicker, the front men had something to chase. Goodship scored on the turn, early. Wycombe were pressing for an equaliser when Humphrys got a belter of a second. They pulled one back but we saw them out until the half.

Next goal wins. We got it. Humphrys again with a powerful shot. 3-1 up and cruising.

To be fair Wycombe really came at us. But Humphrys looked good and was an outlet. Layton for Godship. Then, for reasons I'll never understand he took Humphrys off for Theo. No more outlet. He tried to defend for 20 minutes. Wycombe hit bar, post, Bishop two good saves. As sure as day follows night it became 3-3.

So he then takes Elvis off for Blackman. So we have two left backs. No surprise the fourth came from there.

Astounding. Just an absolute tactical mess. We had something, possibly a win, and we got nothing. There was no need for it. One man is responsible and he needs the sack. And he needs it now.
That is a perfect summary, nothing more to say. We could all see what was coming after he started tinkering.

Awful. Advice to all, save your money each weekend now and go and take yours mrs out instead of go out on the lash. Stop spending money every wekeend in these clowns that’s don’t give a crap and get paid either way .

That's not quite how being a football fan works. We support them through thick and thin. If we all stayed away, the club would go under.

Back