• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Shrewsbury Town 4-3 Southend United

today the goals conceded were awful ... but i do think we have been selecting too many attacking players and not enough ball winners in midfield.

today only Mantom and Hamilton are proper midfielders - we need three in there .

i am convinced thats the issue - an we are fielding teams with players like Goodship, Ralph and Hutchinson who aren't up quite up to league one standard..

i am pleased Elvis screwed up as he a good young player BUT not our salvation and we have been over reliant on him ,,,

Jesus Hutchinson didnt even play and he gets a pelter!! Does he not even get a game in his proper position before being written off?

And Hamilton a proper midfielder???!!!! I’ll take the 5th on that one ?

It’s only mid September and I’ve already conceded that we’re going down this season. Let’s not kid ourselves, we should have gone down last season. It’s been a horrific 10 months for Southend fans with no end in sight to the hurt. My worry is we won’t bounce straight back either.

Let's not kid ourselves that we would be winning matches in League 2.
Apart from Humphrys, who on current form would get in the side that beat Wycombe at Wembley.....?

Stating the utter obvious but this is just a dire team.

Same players didn't perform under Powell, Bond and Waddock. All three have messed up but this garbage,

Recruitment has been poor, Roger Cross should also be sacked.

The club is rotten and has been for a long while. Could these players improve? Maybe some but under a competent manager I can't see many staying.

Questions must be asked about Ron as well who has allowed this all to unfold.

This team is relegated as it stands. End off.

1 POINT FROM 24 !!!
This really is a nightmare because you can't see who can turn this around.
We are so disorganised and lack clear leadership on and off the pitch.

On the way back from the game now. All I can say is mantom is one of the worst midfielders to ever put on a Southend shirt. He is simply dreadful. Hides all game and was getting some stick too

Well at least we're entertaining, clearly only one man for the job in our current guise of 'let's just try and outscore the opposition'. Step forward Kevin Keegan.

What's the record for goals scored by a relegated team?

As disappointing as the result was tonight, one positive (and it may be the only one) is that no one shied away from the ball, even at 2-0...3-1...3-2....4-2 they never gave up and probably on the balance of play deserved a point. I have seen us riding high come a cropper at Shrewsbury.

goal difference of -14 ..... double the nearest worst. even a win wont get us out the relegation zone..... its going to be a long wait for the next transfer window to change the sqaud

Who has been scouting these players? Lennon shaughnessy ridgewell ralph etc. Not too long ago we had a defence of demitriou Ferdinand Thompson and Coker with a midfield of Leonard Timlin and Atkinson. Solid and worked their arses off. We've gone downhill so quickly.

Been saying for over a year now, we are in trouble. We were in trouble under Powell, warning signs were ignored and we are so far down this path we are currently on it's a hell of a long way back. Sacking managers at this stage is doesn't solve the problems, it merely serves to appease the fans.

Sure, a new voice will come in, tinker with a few things to hope results improve, but this squad is worse collectively as it is individually and until that changes it doesn't matter whoever is in charge.

I'm firmly behind us appointing Adam, but what more could Waddock have done ths eve?

- given the inept looking bench he clearly selected the best XI available
- he went 4-4-2 (though what Cox was doing lord knows)
- he would not have told everyone to go to sleep right from the first kick (how awful was that first KO?)
- he woud not have told everyone to let Shrewsbury have the ball and do what they want
- he would not have told the defence to give the ball away at will

I can't believe that the players would not have been motivated. This was their chance, every single one of them blew it

Yes, there were one or two good moments from some players, but watching the whole sorry tale on iFollow you didn't have to look too hard to see those same players who had delivered a 'good moment' then shy away from the ball, mis-place a pass or just give up

Clarkie in the club prog on Sat underlined the mantra of treating everything you do as if it was vital. Clearly no one in the current team follows such sound advice. It's not as if any of them are blessed with world-beating skill that will allow them to have the odd switch-off moment as they are not then able to guarantee they'll more than make up for it

Lets face it, the whole team should hang their heads in shame. They have let Waddock down. And yet again they have let us, the fans down

Gary will no doubt be shown the door. Our only hope is that the shameful bunch left in the dressing room are kicked so hard by the new gaffer that they are somehow forced to try for the whole game. If it is to be Adam maybe he should have Donut with him to kick seven bells out of the lot of them

Just seen the goals ....Ralph at fault for 2 and Elvis 1 ....individual errors are just killing the team

Oxley.....5
Bwomono ......4
Lennon.......6
Kiernan......6
Ralph.........2

McLaughlin.....7
Hamilton.........5
Mantom..........5
Goodship......6

Humphreys.....7
Cox.....................6

Subs

5 each,

Not going to say any more about tonight, it's all on the match thread.

Instead, we all know this team is not good enough. I don't know what is going on, on the training pitch but from start to finish it is one big shambles.

We get free kicks in the centre of the park and take them in a blink of an eye, no set plays, whoever is nearest takes them and makes the same pass just before play broke down. the opposition are still in the same shape, so pressurise quickly and win the ball back.

This team needs to go right back to basics NOW. That includes nominated free kick takers in the middle of the park and at the back.

Free kicks out wide, forget this stupid short tap then back, then try to cross and get it wrong. Relax and put the ball into the box from the dead ball.

I have seen under 10s teams with more clue of how to manage a game than this lot tonight.

It hurts watching it, it really hurts. Because I know there is no quick fix for this, this is going to take a year with good transfer nouse and some decent coaching to put right with an almost certain relegation, which if it isn't right after that, puts us one step backwards from non-league.

Some very tough decisions are going to be needed over the next 4 months, because at least 6 players are not good enough at the moment, but they have to improve if we want to salvage any pride before Christmas. If they don't, we may as well start the rebuilding in the January window.

At games I will back them to the hilt, but afterwards, the truth cannot be avoided, as painful as it is. Same as on here on nights like tonight, when not at the game, the unavoidable truth has to be spelt out. and that is, we are relegation fodder, no more no less and whoever takes over, if they keep us up, then whether they get a glass bowl, silver cup or not, they will be manager of the Year, without a doubt.

So much more than a new manager is needed. We need a new squad

That midfield wouldn’t look out of place in the conference. Constantly sideways and backwards. No ones finding a killer through ball. There’s no engine in there making us tick

Recruitment has been poor in the last 2 summers. Bond didn’t fix any of Powell’s mistakes. He just made it worse. His inability to sign a winger and/or an attacking midfielder was absolutely fatal

It’s September and I’m resigned to the fact we’re going down. It’s so bad I’d take a 1-0 defeat just so we’ve not been battered. This is a total shambles from top to bottom.

Humphrys is gone in January too
why is Humphrys gone in January?

Jesus Hutchinson didnt even play and he gets a pelter!! Does he not even get a game in his proper position before being written off?

And Hamilton a proper midfielder???!!!! I’ll take the 5th on that one ?

My point is about the selection in midfield - my point is that we need 3 pure midfielders - defending, tackling, breaking it up players - the platform for Humps/Cox up front and for creative wide/creative player as the 4th in the middle ...

its a bi more of subtle point than simply slgging off any player

it is a criticism of selection - the manager

Because if he keeps scoring like this, with a pitiful midfield and woeful defence behind him, what could he do in a team with a tried and tested system, players who have a clue about what their job is on the pitch and a club with a bit of money, ambition and the ability to knit the two together????????

The midfield is the key no aggression no leaders like timlin and Leonard .With timlin you got 100 percent effort and the same with Leonard we definitely dont have that we got midfielders that jog about about dont track runners and wave hands in the air having a pop at other players instead of encouraging .On current performances bottom 3 div 2

Back