• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Shrewsbury Town 4-3 Southend United

Heard from quite a few people tonight that Ron Martin has said that the stadium application has been accepted...

For those that don't know I'm told the second goal took a deflection.

Still yet another goal we don't close down, just as we didn't close the cross down for the first goal

Mantom gets my Coward of the week award for turning his back for the third.

There will be dozens of posts blaming everyone and his dog over the next few days but just like the shot for Fleetwoods 2nd or not blocking the cross for their 3rd.....Our players just don't fancy it.....Simple as that.

SOUTHEND United’s caretaker boss Gary Waddock was left ruing the Shrimpers’ defensive frailties following tonight’s 4-3 defeat at Shrewsbury Town.

More...

Just got back through the door. Really frustrating performance but at least it wasn't boring. I always enjoy the trip down to Shrewsbury and fair play to their fans who make a decent noise. A shame it was pretty much non-existent from the Southend fans but very much understandable.

Slightly strange situation where Elvis and Ralph were guilty of some huge errors but apart from maybe Goodship and Humphrys were the only ones really trying to make things happen. The defense isn't great but the midfield was allowing them to stroll into the box unchallenged. The shape and organisation was really poor. Hamilton is clearly a gifted technical player and he did well at times, but we improved with Hyam getting stuck in and Mantom feeling a bit more comfortable.

Going forward we're a different team, with genuine quality and we scored some really nice and well crafted goals, but to leave an away game having scored 3 but gained no points is just fatal. We're going down if this continues.

Ratings, FWIW

Oxley: 6 - generally good, but maybe at fault for one. Made a great double save

Ralph - 5 - poor, but clearly not fit
Kiernan - 5 - did ok, but guilty of not getting stuck in more
Lennon - 5 - should be leading this defence but doesn't seem to want to
Elvis - 4 - saw the best and worst of him, but sadly he need to cut out the worst. he made three massive errors in the first 60 seconds

Macca - 7 - a bright spark on the whole. Clearly cares, scored a great contested header, and put in a good shift
Mantom - 5 - unorganised, and too slow when on the ball
Hamilton - 5 - he's clearly gifted but this isn't the situation for him
Goodship 6.5 - I was pretty impressed, he worked hard, tracked back, and really came into the second half
Cox - 5 - Well off the boil but then scored a worldy
Humphrys 7 - Tried to make things happen, and was a bright spark. Scored a great goal

Two pints - saw Ron leaving immediately aftervthe final whistle and 2 -a Shrew fan said on the bus "We made hard work of beating a crap side".

Just walked through the door 1:50, up In four and a half hours for work ... if this is the players really and I mean really genuinely caring, then there is something really drastically wrong at the club and these players should be extremely accountable for this dire position we find ourselves in.... slow one dimensional indecisive and basically play as though the couldnt give a flying **** .... it’s finally really hit home ... this lot don’t deserve the shirts that they wear ... there is a complete lack of care or passion from all of them Barr humphries , we are becoming a laughing stock, never have I witnessed a Southend team with such little care passion or togetherness, they should all be ashamed of themselves

today the goals conceded were awful ... but i do think we have been selecting too many attacking players and not enough ball winners in midfield.

today only Mantom and Hamilton are proper midfielders - we need three in there .

i am convinced thats the issue - an we are fielding teams with players like Goodship, Ralph and Hutchinson who aren't up quite up to league one standard..

i am pleased Elvis screwed up as he a good young player BUT not our salvation and we have been over reliant on him ,,,
Your off your nut mate Mantom and Hamilton are the worst midfielders I have ever seen in a Southend shirt .... absolute drivel

I have found some potential achievements we can target this season

View attachment 9042View attachment 9043
I'm sure we're going for the 'most goals conceded in a single season' record. From a reliable HP I am told Ron's already as Roy Castle's spirit to make a Pre-Match appearance at our last home game to present the certificate and perform a rendition of Record Breakers.

Bond's legacy is this defence.

Bolton picked up their second point of the season

Helped by CP for signing one of the worse CB, in Lennon, I've seen for years - have we actually won a game this guy has started!!

Just walked through the door 1:50, up In four and a half hours for work ... if this is the players really and I mean really genuinely caring, then there is something really drastically wrong at the club and these players should be extremely accountable for this dire position we find ourselves in.... slow one dimensional indecisive and basically play as though the couldnt give a flying **** .... it’s finally really hit home ... this lot don’t deserve the shirts that they wear ... there is a complete lack of care or passion from all of them Barr humphries , we are becoming a laughing stock, never have I witnessed a Southend team with such little care passion or togetherness, they should all be ashamed of themselves

Yep very few of the players seem to care. For the first time in years I won't be going to an away game based on the recent performances.
I thought they were not playing for Bond but nothing much has changed. If we don't get a couple of wins soon we will need play off form just to stay up.

Heard from quite a few people tonight that Ron Martin has said that the stadium application has been accepted...
Not even sure the stadium application was being submitted yesterday? The stadium plan was being discussed at the meeting. If all is well let's see if Ron actually submits the plans. We need some good news!

Just seen the Evening Echo web site. It was the housing at Roots Hall being discussed. The council have agreed to look at the possibility of taking on the housing.

Last edited:
Our midfield has never been the same since Leonard left. We got away with it at first as Dru came in to the side and was quality - but a lot of that was down to the experience of Timlin alongside him. Dru was never the same once Timlin left. The replacements last year are the worst excuses for central midfielders in Mantom and Dieng. Not fit to lace the boots of Timlin, Leonard etc

Secondly, whilst the defence was not great, we at least had old heads like Ferdinand and Turner. What have we got now? Weak, pathetic defenders and completely useless midfielders. This was started by CP who of course paid the price by getting sacked. How the hell Bond didn’t recognise this and recruit better in the summer I will never know. He could have got almost any combative midfielder and no nonsense defender from league two or the conference and we’d be better off than we are now.

The recruitment has been abysmal.

I don't know about anyone else but after that but I have given up on the automatics. Realistically the playoffs should now be our target.

Come on folks cheer up its lovely day out there.......I hear it could be a long cold winter ahead.

Morning after....

There are some positives, McLaughlin back on form, Humphrys goal scoring, Goodship full of running/movement and never say die attitude that wasn’t there a few weeks back.

I think it’s clear from last nights viewing, we can’t play Mantom and Hamilton at the same time in the centre. Hyam looked ok when he came on and if Kiernan is need in defence then I would start Hyam on Saturday. The defence needs some consistency I’ve never known so many changes in the back 4/5 in so few games at the start of the season. This cannot help. Also what is clear from all the goals against us tonight we are guilty of ball watching- I think it was their 3rd where the guy weaves through unchallenged everyone is watching him as if mesmerised and Elvis does not pick up the guy running in to space who hits a tame shot that beats Oxley. Elvis should have closed him down. We had 4/5 players in the box!

I was there last night and it was frankly another embarrassing performance, masked by 3 decent goals.

The full-backs made some dreadful individual errors that really cost us, but what costs us more is the complete lack of bite in midfield. Oh for a Gary Deegan or Michael Timlin type player - what we've got is powder-puff Mantom and a kid who is used to strolling around in the Premiership reserve league.

Horses for courses now, we must tighten up all over the pitch or we'll be down by Christmas.

Ratings FWIW

Oxley 6

Elvis 5
Kiernan 6
Lennon 5
Ralph 5

Goodship 6
Mantom 5
Hamilton 4
Macca 7

Cox 5.5 (half for the Worldy at the end!)
Humphrys 7

Subs:

Demi 5
Hyam 6

I'm hopeful that Milligan will be back soon, he at least has some quality about him and generally tries to cover for others' mistakes. I would pair him with Hyam who, when fit, adds a bit of bite in midfield.

The left back area concerns me - perhaps the solution is 3 Centre Backs and wing backs?

Back