• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

South Africa Tour 2019/20

A proper 5 day Test, perhaps the reformers will sit up and take notice now.

Test cricket is alive and well in England with sold out grounds the norm. However, this is not the case elsewhere (unless England are the visitors)
I don't even think the series in OZ v NZ is a sell out although I appreciate the MCG has a huge capacity.
The game is dying and to pretend otherwise really is like sticking your head in the sand. The administrators are trying to come up with a solution when there might be none.
I for one have sympathy.

India v Pakistan has huge attendances, and Sri Lanka fill their grounds too. I think talk of the demise of Test cricket is premature. To the many purists out there Test cricket is the only true form of the game. Arguments for and against will rumble on for sure but don't let's write it off quite yet.

Pakistan playing back home is another plus rather than in Dubai

Its only when emerging nations like Bangladesh and Afghanistan play away that crowds drop but the plus side is the fans they bring are worth a thousand of those that sit and moan

Tigers and Afghanistan are always welcome to the fold purely because of the respect and love they have to the game

Remember many moons ago ,people moaned about Sri Lanka and they didn't turn out too bad

Pakistan playing back home is another plus rather than in Dubai

Its only when emerging nations like Bangladesh and Afghanistan play away that crowds drop but the plus side is the fans they bring are worth a thousand of those that sit and moan

Tigers and Afghanistan are always welcome to the fold purely because of the respect and love they have to the game

Remember many moons ago ,people moaned about Sri Lanka and they didn't turn out too bad

Agree with that. The Afghan fans were great when I went to the Oval for England's last warm up game before the world cup last year.

Good luck with telling Indians that Test cricket is in demise. Having visited the country several times, attending matches and seeing the enthusiasm for the game in general, hordes of people huddled round shop TVs etc, it is alive and kicking. Mess with it at your peril!!

That was a fantastic Test Match. Everything that is great about the longer form of the game.

I am so pleased that this game arrived when the 5 day game was being questioned. What an advert. Superb.

Sounds like that was a big toss to win and we could be batting a long time on this pitch in its current state

Stokes looking in the mood, please not famous last words .....
Average run per over this morning 5.93
Pope looking like the future as well

Best days test cricket England have had for a while. Really looking like a test six at the moment but would still like to see Foakes given the gloves back which gives us a strong seven.
Still think 18 wickets is a big ask without Jimmy, Jack Leach and Archer mind and there’s definitely some weather around.
Perspective required as South Africa aren‘t a strong side at the moment but still a huge improvement from NZ.

Weather forecast not good, let's hope the Gods don't conspire against a much improved England performance.

South Africa v England match restarts, expected 38 overs in this extended session, subject to no more rain interruptions.

South Africa resume on 113 for 5

Bess 5 for 41

Very pleased for Bess. Thought he looked promising in the home series against SA. Leach is not a test spinner.

Back