• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Furloughed players (or non-furloughed as it turns out)

I would imagine he and many of the remaining Brown/Powell players are.

Dieng? They've just taken up his extension so I'd guess it wouldn't be him.

My guess of the 7(?) would be Robinson, Hyam, Oxley, Mantom, Demetriou, Milligan and White.

Macca would be my 8th guess.

Meanwhile there are the Macc lads who can't even play for us potentially on full pay.

Easy to say that,when you have earned your money from the game, years previously
You beat me to it. What we are doing, and other League 1 & 2 clubs are/will be doing, is the right thing and exactly what the scheme is designed for.

That Premier League clubs think it is acceptable to furlough their low paid non playing staff whilst continuing to pay players their huge salaries is morally repugnant.

I doubt it but I wonder if once this is all over supporters will look differently at players who were happy to pocket their £100k a week salaries during this crisis

Only if not winning a trophy

I’d imagine that Sol and his team have also been furloughed too.

I guess that depends on what they can do day to day, I would expect that Sol and may HH haven't been as yet as they can still formulate plans for this / next season, Tony as well will be needed to create fitness plans for the players that aren't furloughed just yet.

to be furloughed you aren't allowed to complete any work which can lead to some awkward situations

I'm not sure why only 7 are on the list - why not all of them? Might as well take all the funds that are on offer.

I'm not sure why only 7 are on the list - why not all of them? Might as well take all the funds that are on offer.

Because these are the players we aren't concerned about losing. There's no contractual right to furlough, so players could treat it as a repudiatory breach of contract. You don't want Charlie Kelman or Elvis to do that as there's value in their contracts.

Because these are the players we aren't concerned about losing. There's no contractual right to furlough, so players could treat it as a repudiatory breach of contract. You don't want Charlie Kelman or Elvis to do that as there's value in their contracts.

Employees have to agree to be furloughed.

I guess that depends on what they can do day to day, I would expect that Sol and may HH haven't been as yet as they can still formulate plans for this / next season, Tony as well will be needed to create fitness plans for the players that aren't furloughed just yet.

to be furloughed you aren't allowed to complete any work which can lead to some awkward situations

If the rumoured, £18k-per-week figure for Sol & the gang is true, I’d imagine they’d have been one of Ron’s first targets, when the idea of furlough cropped up.

I don’t know, just thinking out loud.

Employees have to agree to be furloughed.

True. I had to agree to it..... which wasn’t exactly Sophie’s Choice.

But what’s the situation regarding those players that a club cannot afford to pay?

In the real world, companies would make an employee redundant. Could a football club?

For example;

We have player X, who earns £5k per week. He refuses to take furlough & we can’t afford to pay up his contract. What happens?

But what’s the situation regarding those players that a club cannot afford to pay?

In the real world, companies would make an employee redundant. Could a football club?

For example;

We have player X, who earns £5k per week. He refuses to take furlough & we can’t afford to pay up his contract. What happens?

you take out the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan.

For example;

Yes, you've hit the nail on the head. Technically the player has to agree to it but can they really say no? And even if they say no, does it matter when the club doesn't have the money to pay them anyway?

In reality it's more of a choice of receiving 20% or nothing.

Unlike some clubs this is a very real threat: we saw last month what happens when there isn't the money available. And the month before that.

ps Sorry to hear about your situation. Hope you are ok.

Yes, you've hit the nail on the head. Technically the player has to agree to it but can they really say no? And even if they say no, does it matter when the club doesn't have the money to pay them anyway?

In reality it's more of a choice of receiving 20% or nothing.

Unlike some clubs this is a very real threat: we saw last month what happens when there isn't the money available. And the month before that.

ps Sorry to hear about your situation. Hope you are ok.

Oh I’m fine, although my alcohol intake has certainly crept up a notch.

The safety of my family will always take precedence over money though, so I was happy to take furlough tbh.

Money, can be earned back. Dead family members, can’t be.

Hope you’re all good too.

Do we know the players being furloughed are taking a hit? Surely an option is that the players get 80% from the government backed scheme and the club play the balance. I’m just surprised it’s not more than a few of them.

Do we know the players being furloughed are taking a hit? Surely an option is that the players get 80% from the government backed scheme and the club play the balance. I’m just surprised it’s not more than a few of them.
Exactly! That was my point earlier, why not put the lot of them on furlough and get the Government to pay 80% of their wages for the next 3 months with the club only coughing up 20%

Back