• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who should be our next manager?

Who do we want as Manager

• Barrett

Votes: 136 34.8%
  • Fagan

Votes: 112 28.6%
  • Paul Hurst

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Tilson

Votes: 30 7.7%
  • Tilson/Maher

Votes: 59 15.1%
  • Brown

Votes: 27 6.9%
  • Bentley

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 37 9.5%
  • Bart

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Tisdale

Votes: 29 7.4%
  • Maher

Votes: 52 13.3%

• Total voters
But he has limited experience in managing the older players. It’s a different experience to manage some of the old pros compared to some of the junior pros.

I’m not saying he’s not the right person, but it’s an important decision and getting the right balance is key. Someone like Maher has a bit more adult coaching under his belt (I think) and has some first team coaching too. Barrett has too + assistant manager. These two will both know the kids etc.

Of course, an alternative is someone with a good track record of management. The sturrock type appointment.

I guess I’m saying that there may be options where you answer your rhetorical question with “most likely” rather than “who knows”. At the moment this is pretty essential
Coaching is so far different to managing. None of there players manetioned or Falange have the experience of being a manager, but you cant get that without being a manager. So you have to take a risk if you want to go that route.

\My only fear is that ex players and sometimes club legends dont always turn out to be helpful as managers.

On Phil Brown, I believe he was a good manager as he took over in league two and he led us to challenging for playoffs in league one. Yes, when he did leave, we were in the relegation zone in league one and he had fallen out with a lot of players. However, as a previous manager, you can’t focus on the last few months. Managers come and go so frequently now and therefore, an ex manager will have always done something wrong towards the end. It seems Phil just stayed longer than he should have. A bit like Wenger (I am definitely not comparing their achievements and ability as a manager) - Wenger stayed too long and if people focus on the last few years then they’d say he’s a flop. But when you look at what he achieved in his prime, then there’s no denying that he achieved success. (Wenger more so)

I’d rather we went with someone new rather than just going back to someone else. I really don’t see how Phil Brown would be able to thrive in our current plight. He is used to working with a decent budget and has never really been brilliant with bringing through youth.

Let’s not go for a journey man or one of the usual managers in the merry go round. I want to see either Barrett, Maher or Fagan given a chance. Failing that a young manager who is doing well in the lower leagues.

Whoever gets given the job is not going to have an easy ride regardless of what experience they have. Sturrock is a one off and I doubt you will find anyone able to emulate what that man did for our club.

In my view experience counts for little. David Artell, John Mcgreal and Matt Taylor all in their first jobs on league 2 and did well. The right person is someone the players respect has a good tactical brain and can motivate. These skills don't necessarily require experience as in any job.

Why is Maher not on the list as an option on his own?
I couldn't understand this either. Maher has just completed the UEFA Pro Licence (with distinction) which is the highest qualification you can get (mandatory for Premiership managers). This is one level higher than Fagan has. Maher also left the job Fagan is in for a higher level job, is older, more experienced and has greater connections with the club.

Fagan sounds promising, but I would suggest moving up from Under 23s coach to First Team manager is a huge jump and therefore a huge risk.

I would say Maher as manager with Fagan as assistant or first team coach makes more sense in the overall scheme of things.

Of course Barrett as manager, Maher as Assistant and Fagan as first team coach means that all three of them would be moving up the ladder one step - but surely we can only dream about something like that!

For me the answer is simple as.

Magic Maher and Boncey Barrett in as co-Gaffers.

Assisted by Mark Bentley - the bloke has earned his stripes in non-league and deserves a full time job imho.

I'd bring Flavs in as goalkeeping Gaffer, and reckon he would relish chance to come back to Roots Hall and his favourite pools of water.

I'd make Efe Sodje the Gaffer of defending, providing he can be trusted not to take advantage of our defenders charitable nature.

And seeing as Jeremy Kyle is out of work i'd bring him in on an ad-hoc freelance basis as half-time gaffer.

Reckon all could be employed for under the 8k a week Sol-y was on, and for me that is job done, feet up, and simple as my friends.

Why is Maher not on the list as an option on his own?
I couldn't understand this either. Maher has just completed the UEFA Pro Licence (with distinction) which is the highest qualification you can get (mandatory for Premiership managers). This is one level higher than Fagan has. Maher also left the job Fagan is in for a higher level job, is older, more experienced and has greater connections with the club.

Fagan sounds promising, but I would suggest moving up from Under 23s coach to First Team manager is a huge jump and therefore a huge risk.

I would say Maher as manager with Fagan as assistant or first team coach makes more sense in the overall scheme of things.

Of course Barrett as manager, Maher as Assistant and Fagan as first team coach means that all three of them would be moving up the ladder one step - but surely we can only dream about something like that!
Maher has now been added to the poll as a singleton option

If the players have not been paid again where’s the money coming from for a new manager? On that basis has to be Fagan .

Completely agree with this actually.

The dream team would be Barrett manager, Maher assistant and Fagan first team coach. I’d be incredibly happy with that.

Failing that, if we can’t get Barrett, Maher manager and Fagan assistant would still be brilliant.

Completely agree with this actually.

The dream team would be Barrett manager, Maher assistant and Fagan first team coach. I’d be incredibly happy with that.

Failing that, if we can’t get Barrett, Maher manager and Fagan assistant would still be brilliant.

Yep that's exactly what I'd hope for too

I think it would ideally be someone well known to the club who will bring stability as has been said. Barrett, Maher and Fagan all would be known quantities, we should know their strengths and weaknesses. Ron’s legendary “due diligence” should already be done in spades. If we want this route I would be happy with any of the three or two working together.

Didn’t we let Maher go and bring in Fagan as s replacement? No idea if this and what Fagan has done over the last few months indicates he would be in pole position between the two?

At the moment I think Ron will go for the cheapest option. and see what happens. Financially we are still up manure creek and he won't want to pay a new external candidate. So the probable outcome will be a six month trial for Fagan, a bit like Tilly's original starting point.

Back