• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Statement from Ron Martin (16/9/20)

Rather unusual for, what in payment processing company to block the funds. Looks like CV19 is taking it's toll. Banks looking out for their self.

Your right.

Cardnet purely provides a processing facility .They are not a credit card provider.Should a chargeback claim be appropriate the claim is against the credit card provider
Lloyds Banking Group will in all likelihood have frozen the payment account linked to the Cardnet facility.
This has nothing to do with matches being played or the like it’s 100% to do with the bank protecting themselves should a claim be made against them by a creditor.

This bit of the statement really confuses me

“We are still in that process of re-building to be ready to build again.
Unwittingly Sol Campbell in his efforts to find a winning formula blooded a number of young players and now all of those count as part of our maximum squad size of 23”

I don’t think that’s correct

Why you may ask well here’s the EFL rules re squads for 20/21

43.9 Squad Lists

43.9.1 Clubs shall be permitted to name up to a maximum number of Players in their Squad
List based on the following provisions:

(a) in respect of Championship Clubs, 25 Players of which a minimum of 8 must be a Home Grown Player;

(b) in respect of League One and Two Clubs:
(i) in Season 2020/21, 22 Players of which a minimum of 8 must be a Home Grown Player; and
(ii) in Season 2021/22 and each subsequent Season, 20 Players of which a minimum of 8 must be a Home Grown Player.

The limit set out in Regulation 43.9.1(b)(ii) increases to 22 for any Club relegated into League One, for its first Season following relegation.

43.9.2 The following Players do not need to be included in the Squad List to be eligible to play in League Matches:

(a) in respect of Championship Clubs, any Under 21 Player (save for any Under 21 Player who is registered with the Club on a Temporary Loan Transfer); and

(b) in respect of League One Clubs and League Two Clubs, any Under 21 Players.

So we are allowed 22 players on squad list but Seadon, Bwomono, Mitchell Nelson, Richard Taylor, Tom Clifford, Michael Klass, Eren Kinali, Lewis Gard ,Tyrell Egbri Charlie Kelman, and Matt Rush dont count. ( thats eleven under 22 years ) Ron didnt mention this

He does like the number 6. We had 6 coming in not long ago

This bit of the statement really confuses me

“We are still in that process of re-building to be ready to build again.
Unwittingly Sol Campbell in his efforts to find a winning formula blooded a number of young players and now all of those count as part of our maximum squad size of 23”

I don’t think that’s correct

Why you may ask well here’s the EFL rules re squads for 20/21

43.9 Squad Lists

43.9.1 Clubs shall be permitted to name up to a maximum number of Players in their Squad
List based on the following provisions:

(a) in respect of Championship Clubs, 25 Players of which a minimum of 8 must be a Home Grown Player;

(b) in respect of League One and Two Clubs:
(i) in Season 2020/21, 22 Players of which a minimum of 8 must be a Home Grown Player; and
(ii) in Season 2021/22 and each subsequent Season, 20 Players of which a minimum of 8 must be a Home Grown Player.

The limit set out in Regulation 43.9.1(b)(ii) increases to 22 for any Club relegated into League One, for its first Season following relegation.

43.9.2 The following Players do not need to be included in the Squad List to be eligible to play in League Matches:

(a) in respect of Championship Clubs, any Under 21 Player (save for any Under 21 Player who is registered with the Club on a Temporary Loan Transfer); and

(b) in respect of League One Clubs and League Two Clubs, any Under 21 Players.

The maximum squad size thing is about preventing further players being registered due to a transfer embargo. There's an exemption to it if the squad size is under 23

This thread may shed some additional light on it

So we are allowed 22 players on squad list but Seadon, Bwomono, Mitchell Nelson, Richard Taylor, Tom Clifford, Michael Klass, Eren Kinali, Lewis Gard ,Tyrell Egbri Charlie Kelman, and Matt Rush dont count. ( thats eleven under 22 years ) Ron didnt mention this

He does like the number 6. We had 6 coming in not long ago

The rules around the embargo are as clear as mud. But Ron seems pretty confident we'll be able to bring in these players.

I think realistically we have to consider that the club is, at least short-term, in real dire straits. If we can bring these players in, it will certainly help but realistically we're more than four players short of a competent side. If we can be in touch with the rest of the bottom clubs come January 1, with the embargo lifted, that would be a genuinely good outcome for us.

The rules around the embargo are as clear as mud. But Ron seems pretty confident we'll be able to bring in these players.

I think realistically we have to consider that the club is, at least short-term, in real dire straits. If we can bring these players in, it will certainly help but realistically we're more than four players short of a competent side. If we can be in touch with the rest of the bottom clubs come January 1, with the embargo lifted, that would be a genuinely good outcome for us.
We will do better then that u watch

I believe you’re right - my God!
Going back in time, the Welsh international John Charles made records in the 50s including 'Sixteen Tons' and in the sixties the Sheff United, Leeds and Sunderland winger Colin Grainger was a professional singer who made records and appeared on a bill with The Beatles

The maximum squad size thing is about preventing further players being registered due to a transfer embargo. There's an exemption to it if the squad size is under 23

This thread may shed some additional light on it

I think that the rules being discussed in that thread have now been superseded.
The quote I posted is from the current rule book and is written following the implementation of the salary cap.

Well we're bookies favourite for the drop the same as last year,so promotion back to league one .....just seen MM walking on water off the pier!!
Was he carrying a Betvictor slip for the 150/1 ew bet he's had on us to win the league as I sincerely hope it's not his money that's shortened us to be the bookies relegation favourites?

So we loan out the kids that aren't up to it and bring in some out of contract experienced pros?

Or can we only sign loanees and non league players?

I think that the rules being discussed in that thread have now been superseded.
The quote I posted is from the current rule book and is written following the implementation of the salary cap.

That thread was from August after the salary cap was introduced.

It's quite complicated but the rules you quote deal with squad size whereas the issue here is, despite the talk of squad size, the (in)ability to register new players because of the embargo. There is an exemption to the embargo on new signings if the squad size is less than 23 on an one in one out basis provided that the incoming player is on 3/4 the wages of the outgoing player. The issue we have - until we can have the embargo lifted - is fitting within that embargo exception.

So we loan out the kids that aren't up to it and bring in some out of contract experienced pros?

Or can we only sign loanees and non league players?

It doesn't look like it - as their salary would need to be less than the player they are replacing.

It's quite complicated but the rules you quote deal with squad size whereas the issue here is, despite the talk of squad size, the (in)ability to register new players because of the embargo. There is an exemption to the embargo on new signings if the squad size is less than 23 on an one in one out basis provided that the incoming player is on 3/4 the wages of the outgoing player. The issue we have - until we can have the embargo lifted - is fitting within that embargo exception.
QUOTE="Yorkshire Blue, post: 2274354, member: 1665"]

The embargo thing you quote is in terms of bringing players in and on what wage using the exception but there is still a limit on the number of over aged 21 year olds you can register and that numbers or 20/21 is 22. Bear in mind the rule cover all of the EFL where some clubs can have up to 25 in their squads

I am not questioning how players can be signed using the embargo rules I am questioning the assertion in the statement that the squad limit is 23 but also why it’s being claimed that academy players have to be listed in the squad list because they have played first team games when clearly if they are aged under 21 they don’t count in the 22

Back