• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Statement from Ron Martin (16/9/20)

There’s obviously a reason for that.

It’s not as if Ron’s chucked the plans in a desk drawer at home & forgotten about them.

I think the key is to get the plans right, so we only have to submit them once.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Ron has been tipped off/advised on exactly what needs to be in the plans, or how the plans need to look, before submitting them. Sadly, it all takes time.

I'm sure that is the case. My point was really to make people aware that the chances of this being agreed before the new year is, IMO, remote.

I'm sure that is the case. My point was really to make people aware that the chances of this being agreed before the new year is, IMO, remote.

I've been told that the club is hopeful that the plans will be considered at the November DDC meeting. Scoping request is in; EIA hopefully done by end Sept-mid Oct; then old application swapped out for new one and discussed at the November DDC meeting.

Correct me if I have got this wrong but is it my understanding that once RM gets the bank to release funds then he can pay the tax bill of nearly £500000.
If that's doesnt happen were is the money coming from?As I see anything else reported

I've been told that the club is hopeful that the plans will be considered at the November DDC meeting. Scoping request is in; EIA hopefully done by end Sept-mid Oct; then old application swapped out for new one and discussed at the November DDC meeting.

Everything hinges on this. The problem is we don’t know how we will survive post FF. Everything is all geared towards the new stadium but what happens after?

Correct me if I have got this wrong but is it my understanding that once RM gets the bank to release funds then he can pay the tax bill of nearly £500000.
If that's doesnt happen were is the money coming from?As I see anything else reported
Well as an estimate, let's say we have about 1800 renewals so far. Most of these will be in the £370 adult range. The rest will likely be split up between Seniors (£230), Young People (£140) and Kids tickets.

Just by doing some guesstimate work, 1800 renewals should raise about £550k. Although I'm no mathematician and I'm just speculating. We could have had more renewals than I think, but I'm going with a reasonable number.

Everything hinges on this. The problem is we don’t know how we will survive post FF. Everything is all geared towards the new stadium but what happens after?
It looks as if the meeting is scheduled for 4/11/2020 That’s 46 days from now.
Bearing in mind that the new plans aren’t yet in nor has anyone had a chance to comment on the new plans then I can’t see how it could possibly be ready to put to the development committee in such a short period.

Well as an estimate, let's say we have about 1800 renewals so far. Most of these will be in the £370 adult range. The rest will likely be split up between Seniors (£230), Young People (£140) and Kids tickets.

Just by doing some guesstimate work, 1800 renewals should raise about £550k. Although I'm no mathematician and I'm just speculating. We could have had more renewals than I think, but I'm going with a reasonable number.
In the 2017/18 season the accounts show nett of VAT some £733k in respect of season tickets

Ok thanks that makes sense guess the club wants as many as possible to 2000 odd to buy a season ticket

I have to say I don't know what a DDC meeting is, but whatever it is the full council will still need to approve. Even your November meeting means that the earliest the full council will get to debate is late November/early December, which is dangerously close to Christmas. That is assuming they don't ask for further information, which they have done on numerous occasions previously.

I'm not being pessimistic here, I just think us fans need to be realistic about expectations. Given that (apparently) the timetable is to start work in spring next year then gaining planning permission in Jan won't be an issue.

However, I remember the initial plans were called in by the government. Is there any chance of that happening again?

Last edited:
I have to say I don't know what a DDC meeting is, but whatever it is the full council will still need to approve. Even your November meeting means that the earliest the full council will get to debate is late Novemer/early December, which is dangerously close to Christmas. That is assuming they don't ask for further information, which they have done on numerous occasions previously.

I'm not being pessimistic here, I just think us fans need to be realistic about expectations. Given that (apparently) the timetable is to start work in spring next year then gaining planning permission in Jan won't be an issue.

However, I remember the initial plans were called in by the government. Is there any chance of that happening again?

They shouldn't get called in again because a precedent for planning permission has already been set. The development has changed though, so you can't rule anything out but I would guess that because the retail element has been ditched and the application sings to the government's housing tune, it's very unlikely.

They shouldn't get called in again because a precedent for planning permission has already been set. The development has changed though, so you can't rule anything out but I would guess that because the retail element has been ditched and the application sings to the government's housing tune, it's very unlikely.

Let's hope so.

Now that a few days have passed I have re read Ron's statement.
And skimmed through the posts on this thread.
I doubt anyone has changed an opinion held prior to the statement going public.
I believe a lot of folks, me included, are surprised and disappointed that the debt and umbongo are not yet consigned to history but the finances are, and will be very difficult to manage for the future until FF and the rest of the project gets going.
What is contentious about what Ron states? Not much in his statement, a lot of hindsight and excuses which have some validity.
What it lacks is, aside from the first paragraph apology, is a more cathartic admission of poor helmsmanship.
If anyone thinks Ron is going anywhere before the good **** SUFC turns turtle and sinks they are, imo, mistaken.
And I believe we all know Ron won't let anyone join him who could, possibly then take over.

If anything can be positively impacted upon it is with the Council and the elected representatives of the Borough. The work, the housing, the regeneration are key areas that Southend needs, now, not 5 more years time.

I’m not sure why myself or others have to keep mentioning this every few weeks, but there are people out there interested in taking over the club. They came very close to it a year ago.

For now, it’s on hold, and will stay that way until the wheels are put in motion regarding the new stadium.

These are facts. Not opinions.

Again, I’m not a fan of Ron, but we need him to finish what he’s started, if we’re to ever see the back of him with our club still in existence.

The quickest way to get him out of the club is for the council to greenlight the building work, and for that to begin next year.

It really is that simple.

Hurrah finally someone says it.

"bUt WhO WoUlD wAnT tO gEt InVolEd WiTh A cLuB lIkE uS"

Well, let's just see what happens when planning is approved shall we...hopefully that will pave the way for an exit stage left for old Ronnie with any luck.

Hurrah finally someone says it.

"bUt WhO WoUlD wAnT tO gEt InVolEd WiTh A cLuB lIkE uS"

Well, let's just see what happens when planning is approved shall we...hopefully that will pave the way for an exit stage left for old Ronnie with any luck.

The sale of Hi-Tec made a lot of money....

Reactions: GBJ
I have to say I don't know what a DDC meeting is, but whatever it is the full council will still need to approve. Even your November meeting means that the earliest the full council will get to debate is late November/early December, which is dangerously close to Christmas. That is assuming they don't ask for further information, which they have done on numerous occasions previously.

Should have said DCC. Development Control Committee.

now ron knows the fans will try and bale the club out he will do it more and more he has no principles at all often wonder if all the ex managers have been paid off

now ron knows the fans will try and bale the club out he will do it more and more he has no principles at all often wonder if all the ex managers have been paid off
He doesn't pay what's due when still employed never mind when gone...
what do you think?
I'm sure solicitors love it.....easy income

TAKEN FROM A FACEBOOK PAGE (544 MEMBERS SO FAR):

PROTEST SATURDAY 26TH SEPTEMBER 5pm ROOTS HALL

We are organising a protest on the above date at the ground.
The protest will take place in the club car park straight after the next home game against Morecambe. If we could ask fans to be there by 4.45pm if possible.

VERY IMPORTANT: This will be a peaceful protest and Social Distancing rules MUST be adhered to. Therefore, it will be in groups of no more than six and each group MUST be 2 metres apart from the next group. Face coverings MUST also be worn at all times (these will be provided if you don't have one)

We have spoke to Essex Police to check where we stand on protests with the current laws of no more than 6 in a group and the good news is that we are fine to protest as long as social distancing is kept. They will NOT issue fines if you attend, you would only be asked to leave if social distacing was not adhered to or any trouble was started which obviously we don't want.

We want to get our message across but in a peaceful way!!

There is a funding page on here which any money donated will go to the cost of all the print of the Banners and posters (wording to be confirmed) Anything you can give would be much appreciated, even if it's only a couple of pound!! Any money left over will be donated to the Shrimpers trust

Please spread the word to as many people as possible who would be interested in coming along. We need to know numbers asap so please let us know if you would interested in attending and tell every fan you know who cares about our club and doesn't want to see it go under!! I have said I will keep the police informed with an approx numbers of how many will be attending to it's vital you let us know asap.

Morecambe, we aren't in the same league as Morecambe! ...........oh er yes we are

Suggestions for messages on the banners would be welcome (keep them clean please)
Please tell any fans that aren't on this page to join so they can be kept up to date with next Saturdays protest details!!

Enough is enough, we won't sit back anymore and watch Ron Martin destroy our beloved club we all love so much.

Up the Blues!!

Thank you!

Back