• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend Utd 0-1 Forest Green Rovers

I just think that we need some grownups playing up front, not untried kids who work on percentages
Agreed. Goodship, Aquah and Sterling have been well tested... if you compare this to the Harrogate game.. I'm fairly happy. We competed, challenged and was their to be counted.. improvement in my eyes. 6th vs bottom!!

From what I saw ( limited by iFollow issues) plenty of effort but little quality from us. Kyps did well and provides a bit more height in defence. From the few minutes I saw at the end macca can still do a job for us if surrounded by competent personnel. Shame Rush missed a sitter as he did put in some hard work and tried to press their defence. Most of the team did not reach the heights of average and a few are nowhere near league 2 standard. Need at least 3 or 4 signings quickly to avoid National league. Olyanka apart the midfield has zero creativity and threat - whilst individuals work hard I get no sense this collection of players are a team - MM needs to find a ball winning midfielder - ironic that Dieng got booked for a tackle where no contact was made! Without changes we will be down and much of this team will not be good enough for National league. I have my doubts about MM but tonight he had very few players to choose from - Ron needs to fix embargo immediately or we are toast

Apparently it was Demi Who got skinned not Dieng - hard to tell on the black screen.

The way I saw it was that Kyprianou committed himself going forwards leaving a gap. Dieng tried to fill that gap and shadowed the FGR player fairly well (he had just been booked covering when it looked like HK had been fouled). The ball went inside to a player being marked by Demitriou. He was sold a little dummy and then was on the back foot when the player got a yard to put a cross in and slid in, only for the FGR player to cut back inside and have time to pick out his man in the area, and he did the rest.

I've got to agree, one or two would get a 5 or 6, other than that it would be 3 or 4's.
What? they got 3 & 4s for the Colchester game in my ratings. This was light years from that. What would have your ratings been for that minuses????
They gave 100% and yes we lack quality but should have had a point against the team that are now 4th in the league.

Last edited:
We are an embargo away from competing in this league. Hart and Akinola would make such a difference and I’d bank on Akinola burying that chance Rush missed.

I thought Kyp did quite well coming back into the side. White is just Mr Solid at the back and Hobson looks more assured next to him.

We are seriously lacking in the final third but don’t worry, Ron is on it.

I thought we were not far away from being a below average league two team tonight.

Let's pretend we live in a world of make-believe, and Ron gets the embargo situation sorted. You'd back us with some fresh blood in January and the players currently sitting out, to make a fist of it in the second half of the season.

Trouble is, we're already cut adrift, and it will not be enough.

On a positive note, Molesley is clearly starting to get the best of these very limited players he has at his disposal. The basics are being done much better, there is some level of competence, and defensively we looked OK in the first half.

We had 12 professionals on the sidelines tonight for various reasons. Embargo/Covid/Injuries. With the players we had available, a point would have been an excellent result and we fell short. I'm not angry, I'm just sad that our club is in this position. Nobody to blame tonight, it is what it is.

Yes, I just checked on the table - doesn't make for good viewing.

I'm actually surprised we are as close as we are. I just assumed one win and two draws would see us over 10 points behind by now.

Look at the league table, & we need to have a 4-5 game winning run, just to give ourselves some breathing space.
I like to think i'm a guy whose glass is half full rather than half empty, but i just cant see that happening?.

I think the average points needed to stay up in this division is around the 45 mark. So far we have 5.

So, with 33 games to go, we need 10 wins and 10 draws.

We need to get something from 2/3’s of our remaining games....

A lot of posters saying Kyps had a good game. I'm afraid to say i thought the opposite. Got a few good blocks in, i'll grant him that. But sells himself, didnt get tight enough to make challenges in key areas, overhit corners.
You could see FGR building up for their goal, the Southend midfield and defence seemed to slow down and all of a sudden FGR were playing it around us and they were ALLOWED space.
Not that Elvis was much better on the other side. Demi was pretty invisible, i thought Macca gave us a big lift when he came on.
Cannot believe Rush had to come off, leaving Badship on, maybe he was shattered having done all his running.
Good to see Ox coming out well for the save, even though he was second to the ball he connected well at the feet.
We just needed that sparkle up front.
I would love to see someone set up Kenny Coker, see what he is made of. He only comes on late in the game and we are always losing.
The boys mostly worked their socks off tonight, it just didnt happen for us. FGR played it around very impressively, dominated possession, but they were quite scared of us, they had a nervy win.
Player of the evening for me, Mr Egbri, well done young man. Fought for everything, won some headers lol, got crosses in, looked the part. Oh and got back to help out, changing the 4-3-3 when we didnt have the ball.
Just a shame we had no runners pulling off defenders and creating space to pass into. I did enjoy the game, not a lot in it. Then i remember we are bottom of the league and get angry again.
Cmon Ron, enough of the bull.

Oxley, White, Demi, Elvis and Olayinka offer something: Hobson worries me when he prods the ball 15 yards ahead of him; and the rest are not good enough.

Is Kyps fully fit? Assuming, he's not, he gets the benefit of the doubt.
Other than enthusiasm Elvis offers very little for me, I love the enthusiasm but defensively he is average at best and attacking wise he is poor. He doesn’t cross enough and when he does they are poor.

Like i say love the enthusiasm but for me JD needs to play there till we have someone better

JW was solid as always and Olayinka is a very decent player

That Rush chance was obviously our biggest chance and on the back of missing a pen in the shootout against Borehamwood, I do feel for the lad and what it'll do for his confidence. We play the ball competently and what too was good was that we weren't letting Forest Green's pressing get to us too much and force into recycling the ball back to Oxley, often. I don't know if they had an off day or if we made them look average (I hope it's the latter) but with more first team choices back hopefully soon, it still points to our form improving.

I agree 100% about JD and Elvis , but the trouble is macca is way of the pace to do JDs dirty work in the middle which I think he does quite well considering. Breaking play up is a very unnoticeable task and he still gets forward on occasions. If macca goes anywhere it's a one way ticket with his fitness levels these days

Other than enthusiasm Elvis offers very little for me, I love the enthusiasm but defensively he is average at best and attacking wise he is poor. He doesn’t cross enough and when he does they are poor.

Like i say love the enthusiasm but for me JD needs to play there till we have someone better

JW was solid as always and Olayinka is a very decent player

Due to his knee, I just wonder if JD would be up for the rigours of playing RB anymore?

I would argue that there is far more strenuous movements to be made at RB than CM.

Plus we’re in desperate need of some experience in the centre of the park. Dieng will never be the answer, and as much as I rate Olayinka, I feel his game will suffer without someone industrious alongside him

Back