• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Best we can hope for

dusterman

Nello
In light of another sub standard line-up that really doesn’t give us any tangible chance of getting something from the game, I wanted to just put down what I think our best side could be in the near future. My team below, slim pickings and that’s with hoping beyond hope that Donald pulls his finger out of his cleaner’s posterior and clears the embargo or the EFL do it for us.

Oxley

Demi - Hobson - White - Hart/Clifford

Olayinka - Dieng

ANG Taylor Goodship

Akinola/Acquah

Bench:

Seaden

Egbri

Macca

Sterling

Kyp

Elvis

It will be interesting to see how the existing players play with better players around them. Personally I'd hope the more intelligent, forward thinking players like Goodship and Taylor will really benefit from having better players in the side.

The likes of Egbri, Acquah and Clifford have all featured heavily this season, and they each have their qualities, but this is an ugly battle to stay in the league and we need experienced professionals with a bit of physicality and nous.

I think even with the embargo lift we will still be wanting for quality. We need to raise our game, and will need to probably win four before January to still be in with half a chance of survival.

Quite a big ask considering it has taken us since September 21, 2019 to win the last four league games.

And you still have Goodship in the team ,we truly are in a mess ,I myself would have either Sterling or Rush playing that position before him .Whats happened to young Taylor still think he could be tried as the lone striker ,tall ,strong and played there before

And you still have Goodship in the team ,we truly are in a mess ,I myself would have either Sterling or Rush playing that position before him .Whats happened to young Taylor still think he could be tried as the lone striker ,tall ,strong and played there before

Well to be fair I only mentioned Goodship's intelligence, unfortunately to make a decent striker he needs to be far more physical and intimidating. I would imagine any centre half has absolutely no issue with dealing with him in isolation at the moment.

I don't know who this striker Taylor is of which you speak but we do have a goalkeeper called Taylor and also a ball playing, 5ft 10ins central midfielder called Taylor.

My thoughts on the game are we battled well considering injuries and covid but not many chances created, second half forest green stepped it up couple notches and got what they come for. This squad at its current state is not good enough to stay in this league.

Well to be fair I only mentioned Goodship's intelligence, unfortunately to make a decent striker he needs to be far more physical and intimidating. I would imagine any centre half has absolutely no issue with dealing with him in isolation at the moment.

I don't know who this striker Taylor is of which you speak but we do have a goalkeeper called Taylor and also a ball playing, 5ft 10ins central midfielder called Taylor.

I think he means the young centre back Richard Taylor and the possibility of sticking him up front as an emergency target man. For me we could try that late in a game if plan A hasn’t worked but even though I really don’t rate Emile Acquah he’s gotta be ahead of someone out of position IMO.

After the narrow defeat to Boreham Wood in the cup I feel like the penny has dropped for the team collectively and we are at least now competing in every game. Last night could have been different if Matt Rush had buried that gilt-edged chance in the first half. It really was a sitter and I’d back myself to finish that and I’m a 35 year old left back that fans would have been discussing if my legs had gone at 23!

But in fairness to the young lad if we’d carved out more decent chances maybe he’d have taken another and that’s the real issue at the moment. We’re sitting so deep in order to protect the fragile defence that when we do win the ball in midfield Olayinka or ANG still have to beat 3 or 4 players and run about 40 yards to get anywhere near the goal.

With such a poor side it’s a real stick or twist situation for Mark Molesley. If he encourages the team to commit more players forward then they could potentially leave gaps in behind that the opposition can exploit and our tighter defence that has made us more competitive could disappear. But it would mean we’d have more players in and around the box to create some chances.

I think for now and until we get a sustained run of form MM will probably opt for a keep it tight and try and nick the odd goal approach. With the side he has at his disposal right now who could blame him?

I am hoping the badge stays on my home shirt until the end of the season.

I only wear it during iFollow games so it hasn't been washed much yet...

I am hoping the badge stays on my home shirt until the end of the season.

I only wear it during iFollow games so it hasn't been washed much yet...

If you take it off when the screen goes blank it will last for many seasons!:Winking2:

I think he means the young centre back Richard Taylor and the possibility of sticking him up front as an emergency target man. For me we could try that late in a game if plan A hasn’t worked but even though I really don’t rate Emile Acquah he’s gotta be ahead of someone out of position IMO.

After the narrow defeat to Boreham Wood in the cup I feel like the penny has dropped for the team collectively and we are at least now competing in every game. Last night could have been different if Matt Rush had buried that gilt-edged chance in the first half. It really was a sitter and I’d back myself to finish that and I’m a 35 year old left back that fans would have been discussing if my legs had gone at 23!

But in fairness to the young lad if we’d carved out more decent chances maybe he’d have taken another and that’s the real issue at the moment. We’re sitting so deep in order to protect the fragile defence that when we do win the ball in midfield Olayinka or ANG still have to beat 3 or 4 players and run about 40 yards to get anywhere near the goal.

With such a poor side it’s a real stick or twist situation for Mark Molesley. If he encourages the team to commit more players forward then they could potentially leave gaps in behind that the opposition can exploit and our tighter defence that has made us more competitive could disappear. But it would mean we’d have more players in and around the box to create some chances.

I think for now and until we get a sustained run of form MM will probably opt for a keep it tight and try and nick the odd goal approach. With the side he has at his disposal right now who could blame him?

I completely forgot about Dickie Taylor. My mistake. Not the worst shout sticking him upfront but it's a real desperation tactic.

Sterling has done nothing. Can see why he hasn't scored a single league goal in his career.

I've only really seen highlights so far this season, but on paper I reckon our best team would be something like this, in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1. We need to be hard to break down:

Oxley
Bwomono - White - Hobson - Hart
Dieng - Demetriou
Nathaniel-George - K. Taylor - Olayinka
Akinola

Subs: Seaden, R. Taylor, Kyprianou, McCormack, Goodship, Egbri, Sterling

Last edited:
Sterling has done nothing. Can see why he hasn't scored a single league goal in his career.

I've only really seen highlights so far this season, but on paper I reckon our best team would be something like this, in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1. We need to be hard to break down:

Oxley
Bwomono - White - Lennon - Hart
Dieng - Demetriou
Nathaniel-George - Taylor - Olayinka
Akinola

Subs: Seaden, Hobson, Kyprianou, McCormack, Goodship, Egbri, Sterling

Yeah wouldn’t disagree with this but just didn’t include Lennon as he’s long term again like Gard and Ralph.

Oxley
Bwomono - White - Lennon - Hart
Dieng - Demetriou
Nathaniel-George - Taylor - Olayinka
Akinola

Subs: Seaden, Hobson, Kyprianou, McCormack, Goodship, Egbri, Sterling

Yep, I would go for something like this.

Clifford/Ralph/Hart all seem much of a muchness at left-back

Acquah on the bench ahead of Goodship though.

To my mind we have a team and squad that is good enough to stay in the division, just, with the exception of the front line. Rush, Acquah, Sterling and Goodship just aren’t good enough at this level and until this is resolved we won’t win games, unless we have a slice of good luck as we did at Walsall

Back